PDA

View Full Version : HELP!!! car wont go into gear

808a41.8t
07-10-2005, 11:29 PM
i have a 2000 a4 1.8t fwd 5spd, but today as i was driving the car had a hard time going into 4th gear. as i got off of the freeway and came to a complete stop, the car couldnt go into any gear period. i had to turn my car off and then back on to get it into 1rst. so as im going along, it starts making this high pitched whining noise as soon as i let off the clutch. but when i step on the clutch, it goes away. so i parled my car, thinking it would go away. come back to my car 10 minutes later, the thing wont even go into any gears. luckily, there was a guy who works on audis and he told me it might be my clutch, bearings, or possibly my transmission. what might this be. also, my friend has a quattro transmission for his car that he doesnt need. someone told me that it would fit on my car. is this true?? thanks in advance

boosteda4
07-11-2005, 12:08 AM
hahaha.. sorry, shitty situation, but that guy who works on audis pretty much gave u nothin... its either ur clutch tranny or bearings.. thats y it doesnt go in gear.. damn.. sorry to hear that.. ive had many problems too.. =\ good luck with it though!

808a41.8t
07-11-2005, 12:27 AM
im hoping its my clutch, but i think after i fix this problem im gonna sell the car already. too much shit is going wrong. thanks for the reply though

BlackOne.eight
07-11-2005, 08:36 AM
I had a similar problem a while ago with my old mk3 jetta VR6 and it was bad motor mounts causing the problems. Couldnt get into gear when stopped and similar issues. Worth a quick look, might be similar symptoms of different problems.

EVIL-AUDI
07-11-2005, 08:38 AM
I am betting on the clutch

Daft
07-11-2005, 09:31 AM
Hard time changing gears is the clutch.

Hard time changing gears accompanied by grinding is the syncros.

The clutch uses a hydraulic actuator to move the throwout bearing. On the B5 A4, it shares it's fluid supply with the brake system. Air bubbles in the brake system can also lead to air bubbles in the clutch line. This would make it much harder to engage/disengage the clutch fully for gear changes.

If the fluid is good and air bubble free, it surely means that the clutch disk has just worn too thin to make full contact with the pressure plate and the flywheel. This would equate to difficulty in changing gears becuase the clutch is still partially engaged while shifting and when engaged, it would slip under WOT in higher gears.

BTW, the whinning noise is the throwout bearing. When they start to fail, they wobble, click and squeal because the bearing is falling apart. It's only a $30 part but, you must remove the tranny to change it.

Hope this helps.

LoeA4
07-11-2005, 09:35 AM
I agree, It sounds to me like TO bearing.

808a41.8t
07-11-2005, 02:10 PM
daft: thanks for the info. shit i think i may have brought this problem upon myself then. the brake fluid was low for a while but ive been working 2 jobs and going to summer school so i havent been able to refill it. finally did it about 4 days ago, but maybe it was too late..

Daft
07-11-2005, 04:31 PM
Well, after I read your first post again, it really sounds like the TO Bearing. That high pitched whining noise is usually an indication of a very angry TO Bearing.

On a side note, it would still be a good idea to bleed to clutch slave cylinder (pain in the ass) and the brakes.

You have to bleed the slave cylinder on the tranny housing first and then the brake calipers. There is an order to bleed them in too. Look in this thread:

http://www.audizine.com/forum/showthread.php?threadid=52726

jakeelstud
07-11-2005, 04:45 PM
my clutch went, i had a similar situation, first it was clunky from gear to gear, then it just would stall, and not go into gear, im betting cluth, but does your clutch peddle stay on the floor or pop back up?