PDA

View Full Version : HPR Track Day - Open Lapping - Friday July 26th (Morning Session)

100Daily
07-06-2013, 12:52 PM
I am just setting up another track day for this month. Last time there were hardly any other cars there and it was really a great time, hopefully we get lucky again. $90 for a half day. Session starts at 8am, 7:40am drivers meeting. The more Audi's the merrier!

More Info:
http://www.highplainsraceway.com/pdf/HPR-Lapping-Days-Information-Page.pdf

[race]Attendees[race]
100Daily
AuditdOrk
DOCEVG
Monoseanism (maybe)

Taint Fair
07-06-2013, 02:53 PM
Damnit! One of these days I will be able to get out of work, but I'm working 4pm-4am that day, probably not a good idea to hit the track the morning before a swing shift.

100Daily
07-11-2013, 06:49 AM
What a coincidence, they stole my idea! It looks like I will get my wish of lots of Audi's at the track. Free lunch and $20 off is sweet!

Audi Club Rocky Mountain: Open Lapping Day "Get Together" at High Plains Raceway - Friday, July 26th, 2013

Join the Audi Club Rocky Mountain "Track Rats" for a day at High Plains Raceway.

When: Friday, July 26th, 2013

Time: 8:00am - 4:00pm (track is open till 5:00pm)

Club members will receive a FREE lunch and $20 Rebate on the HPR Track Fee. Membership cards must be provided at the track.

Chris Sarian from Sarian Motorsports will be available to ride along with those that are first timers or looking for additional instruction.

Please email Chris once you register so we have an idea as to the number of attendees and also, if you need a helmet, what size...Thanks!

Email Chris Sarian with any questions about the HPR Open Lapping Day schedule or how the day is run.

HPR Track day rules apply.

drumnjuny
07-11-2013, 07:45 AM
how do you join??

i was looking at bulk day passes u can buy in advance they are actually pretty legit!! next season i'm definitely gonna get a bulk pass.

car should be done in a month or so, here.... [evilsmile]

monoseanism
07-11-2013, 08:27 PM
Woah, sounds a little more enticing now. Might just have to go

GreatZar
07-12-2013, 07:56 AM
To join Audi Club go to www.audiclubna.org and click "Join/Renew" near top right. $50 for 1 yr (better for multi-year).

youS4
07-12-2013, 10:24 AM
Woah, sounds a little more enticing now. Might just have to go

I was actually set on not going that day due to packing up for a move, but this may sway me otherwise. Damn...

So do you have to be a member of ACRM to go that day, or is that an additional event on top of open lapping?

100Daily
07-12-2013, 10:41 AM
I was actually set on not going that day due to packing up for a move, but this may sway me otherwise. Damn...

So do you have to be a member of ACRM to go that day, or is that an additional event on top of open lapping?

Its just open lapping rules open to anyone, but the ACRM happens to also be holding an even there at the same time. I told that Chris guy who is organizing it that a few AZ guys were coming and he said he would buy you guys lunch as well. He seemed pretty cool.

drumnjuny
07-12-2013, 03:23 PM
do you have to track an Audi?

100Daily
07-12-2013, 03:25 PM

No you could just come and watch. I would suggest riding with someone out there though because its pretty far. A good hour east from Denver.

100Daily
07-12-2013, 03:38 PM

I was racing seal66 yesterday and (after he almost rear ended me drifting around a corner) he mentioned you were "unimpressed" with my car after your last ride in it. I was crushed...

If you bring (or borrow) a helmet you can ride with me for a few laps if you wish, its free to ride. I have been running the 93 tune for the past couple weeks and my car is running like a beast. All I can do is pray that the 93 tune and track rubber is enough to satiate you this time. [;)]

drumnjuny
07-12-2013, 04:32 PM
hahahahaha SETH!!! what a dick. Its not that I was unimpressed with the car, just more underimpressed... I had ridiculously high hopes from the stage 1 tune, as i had only ridden in a stock b8.5 s5 v8t until then and wasn't feeling the hype at all tbh. and i was comparing to a turbocharged car. the "feel" of it made me more sure about my decision to go BT vs. swap for a V8T, and made me want to finish my car haha and stick with turbo over supercharger for my next project. even at wastegate pressure (16psi vs. 30psi peak lulz) my shitty a4 just feels spunky, even though you would smoke me in a drag race and the b8.5 is very clearly sexier everywhere haha inside and out... it just made me like my car a little more just for being turbo'd and giving u the o-shit feeling.

stock v8t's were making 330awhp on the dyno when they came out, even with just a stage 2 + pulley (really want to ride in one) they are making over 400 with ease on OTS tunes... there's nothing to be unimpressed by. I just like turbos haha. Corey said it best - I want to feel like i'm going fast, way more than I want to actually go fast. lol I guess for me its just the experience

That being said i would love to do that! I probably can't take vacation for the first few months of this new job (lame) but i'll definitely take a day off in a few months and ride. maybe even if i have my car done, bring it out there also!

GreatZar
07-12-2013, 05:21 PM
You do not have to be a member to take a car (any car) to High Plains that day. It's just that the Audi Club will reimburse THEIR members $20 (and usually provide free helmets if you ask in advance). Cool that they will provide non-member Audi drivers lunch...

seal66
07-12-2013, 08:40 PM
I was racing seal66 yesterday and (after he almost rear ended me drifting around a corner) he mentioned you were "unimpressed" with my car after your last ride in it. I was crushed...

If you bring (or borrow) a helmet you can ride with me for a few laps if you wish, its free to ride. I have been running the 93 tune for the past couple weeks and my car is running like a beast. All I can do is pray that the 93 tune and track rubber is enough to satiate you this time. [;)]

Thanks for throwing me under the bus bastard lol..

And it really was not a race. It was more like me, watching your S4 pull like a rocket ship and I was still back in the era of Dino's lol

monoseanism
07-12-2013, 10:04 PM
If I can make it ill bring my hot hatch. The R8 is up for sale.

100Daily
07-13-2013, 06:36 AM

The S7 will be unbeatable on the straightaway!

100Daily
07-13-2013, 06:37 AM

And it really was not a race. It was more like me, watching your S4 pull like a rocket ship and I was still back in the era of Dino's lol

Sorry, I couldn't resist [>_<]

drumnjuny
07-13-2013, 02:38 PM

haha and u totally threw me under the bus as well dickhead!

if u don't mind me asking, why you selling it?

100Daily
07-14-2013, 11:49 AM
Here is my cool story bro: I went to PPIR for the Porsche World Challenge this morning. They let me drive their 2014 911 Carrera 4S around the track and asked that I not turn off the traction control. I think I must have bumped it with my elbow because somehow it got switched off. [;)] I was FLINGING the car as hard as I could into the corners (and was actually getting some understeer) until the very last lap...

I wanted to see if I could exceed the limits of a 911 around a corner under full acceleration and with only a couple turns left I was finally able to do it! The back end FLEW out though, and it really startled me. I was going pretty fast and was surprised just how quickly the back end jolted out. It was pretty hard to correct but I managed to stay on the track. I was so glad nobody saw it. That was my final lap and I was at the back of the pack. No harm no foul [race]

That is really an impressive machine.
http://images.thecarconnection.com/med/2013-porsche-911-carrera-4s_100400349_m.jpg

drumnjuny
07-14-2013, 12:57 PM
damn! nicely done, sir. how did u get into that? also can you compare to your b8.5?

isn't this the first 911 that has electric steering? what did you think of it?

monoseanism
07-14-2013, 01:23 PM
Selling the R8 because it screams "I have a super small dick" and draws too much duchebag attention. Or, I'm having a baby in a month and its a ridiculous car. Take your pick.

100Daily
07-14-2013, 02:56 PM
damn! nicely done, sir. how did u get into that? also can you compare to your b8.5?

isn't this the first 911 that has electric steering? what did you think of it?

Thank you. I received an invitation to attend the event by a thoughtful friend. It was free. I also got to drive a Cayman S which was sweet.

How does it compare to my car? First some bench racing stats. Porsche has 400hp at sea level and is naturally aspirated. My car is running the 93 tune so has about 440hp at sea level. Obviously we aren't at sea level and that NA Porsche was pretty down on power relative to my car. The 911 is just way lighter, but since its down on power I would put acceleration as roughly equal (in the real world). That was a surprise to me, but a man with your distinguished tastes would CERTAINLY have been "under impressed".

But handling was interesting. Both cars are AWD, and their AWD systems felt very familiar. I could feel it vectoring just like my car, but it had far more rear bias. The main 3 things that just destroy my car were brakes, suspension, and weight. It was so easy to hold speed in the corners. In my S4 its relatively easy to drift in a controlled manner but the 911 was all or nothing. My S4 is fairly predictable beyond the limit but I felt the 911 could bite me.

As far as steering, I didn't notice it was electric steering but I drive with electronic steering daily. The steering was great and precise, but the 911 did under steer (I believe as a result of the physics of AWD). Overall the car was very easy to drive fast. I can imagine you could put down fast laps as the car makes it easy. But I think as you improve and begin to push the car on a regular basis, it has that razors edge that's a bit scary. I almost think the traction control isn't a bad idea. It's fun to have off for dicking around but I could see really needing it.

drumnjuny
07-14-2013, 06:07 PM
lmao i'm sorry i was under impressed. how about this: whenever my car is done (who knows, really lol), we trade laps sitting in the passenger seats of each other's cars for a few laps?

Selling the R8 because it screams "I have a super small dick" and draws too much duchebag attention. Or, I'm having a baby in a month and its a ridiculous car. Take your pick.

haha i pick #1 and #2. s7 can take the baby anywhere u wanna go lol. i feel like the S7 can be tuned to be faster than the R8 anyway [up] good choice IMO

youS4
07-17-2013, 05:12 PM
Update:
Sorry guys. Some personal stuff came up in my life, and cannot make it to this event.
Have fun!

DOCEVG
07-18-2013, 11:47 AM
I'm registered.

100Daily
07-18-2013, 12:25 PM
Update:
Sorry guys. Some personal stuff came up in my life, and cannot make it to this event.
Have fun!

Sorry to hear it, maybe next time!

I'm registered.

Awesome! I want to ride in your car. Have you been to HPR before? With the RS5? I imagine its great around the track.

DOCEVG
07-18-2013, 01:40 PM
Awesome! I want to ride in your car. Have you been to HPR before? With the RS5? I imagine its great around the track.

Bringing the RS5 and you're welcome to drive some laps in it. I won't be driving myself as my doctor (who's driven at HPR) says my leg/hip isn't yet up to the braking and other stresses of tracking, but my kid (who kicks my ass every time karting) will be doing a few laps under the watchful eye of Chris Sarian.
I haven't been to HPR before.

100Daily
07-19-2013, 08:51 AM
Bringing the RS5 and you're welcome to drive some laps in it. I won't be driving myself as my doctor (who's driven at HPR) says my leg/hip isn't yet up to the braking and other stresses of tracking, but my kid (who kicks my ass every time karting) will be doing a few laps under the watchful eye of Chris Sarian.
I haven't been to HPR before.

Sorry to hear your hip/leg is still bothering you. How much longer do you think you have until you are back to normal?

I think I must still be in some dream phase of sleep because it looks like you wrote, "you're welcome to drive some laps in my RS5". If I am not dreaming, and you really said that, I would LOVE to drive your car for a few laps. That is super nice of you to offer.

drumnjuny
07-19-2013, 09:05 PM
that's about the coolest thing i've ever seen lol.

auditd0rk
07-21-2013, 07:37 AM
Which session are you guys planning to attend?

100Daily
07-21-2013, 07:40 AM
Which session are you guys planning to attend?

Morning for me

auditd0rk
07-22-2013, 09:47 AM
Registered for morning.

100Daily
07-22-2013, 10:50 AM
Registered for morning.

I am now registered as well : )

This week is going to drag by SO SLOW...

DOCEVG
07-25-2013, 08:14 AM
I am now registered as well : )

This week is going to drag by SO SLOW...

See you in the morning. Any tips?

100Daily
07-25-2013, 08:51 AM
See you in the morning. Any tips?

Tips:
1 - Drivers meeting is 7:40 and you are required to attend. Immediately following the meeting everyone lines up to get their wrist bands. If you get there 20min early you can get your wrist band ahead of time and avoid that line and head straight to the track.

2 - I am not sure how busy it will be, but the closer-in parking spots are reserved. Its not marked, and I was asked to move once. Now I park on the northwest (far) side.

3 - They have a really good breakfast burrito, and other concessions available.

4 - Fill up with gas at Byers. IMPORTANT. You will need lots of gas and they only sell expensive race gas at the track, and its a 40-50 minute round trip drive back to Byers from the track.

5 - After you exit at Byers, don't speed on that road to the track. The cops are notorious for targeting sports cars.

6 - Bring a tire pressure gauge. Take a few laps to get the hang of the turns and layout. Then double check pressure. It will be very high as your tires heat up. Then go do some harder laps. Then check it again. It will be high again. Just try and keep them where Audi recommends is my tip.

7 - DO NOT use your parking brake after you come in off the track. It can seize to your rotor.

8 - Have fun!

The drivers meeting will clear up a lot of the details you need to know at the track. I try not to kill my car out there. I go take 4-5 laps and let it cool down for ~20-30 mins and then repeat.

auditd0rk
07-25-2013, 12:10 PM
I'll have a torque wrench handy to check lug torque after each session. I'll also bring the VAG-COM cable if anyone needs it.

Threw on my mojo, too:

http://img14.imageshack.us/img14/6885/e3kj.jpg

drumnjuny
07-25-2013, 04:56 PM
i have to say it (again). i am so jealous haha.

100Daily
07-26-2013, 11:43 AM
That was just a great great great time. Special thanks to DocEVG for letting me drive his incredibly nice RS5. That things revs out forever, its brakes are very nice and firm, and his suspension is obviously superior to my car. Acceleration I would say its pretty comparable to the S4. The paddle shifters + DSG were fun around the track.

Special thanks to Chris Sarian for going around the track with me. He said my track driving is "a bit too aggressive, but not by much". He said I need to chill going into the corners a bit more and start my turn in's a bit later. He said I need to work on being smoother. He said smooth is fast, not overly aggressive. Its interesting to hear what a trained pro has to say. I didn't improve my time this time, but it was more crowded and I was trying to work on some new stuff.

Auditdork had a very hot lap with me in shotgun (2:17.5), and in addition to fast by hot I mean his brakes were SMOKING. They billowed smoke for at least 5 minutes after we got off the track. [evilsmile] What else... There was an RS6 with the Lambo V10. That guy said he used a 1/4 tank every 15-20 minutes. Lol. There was a B7 S4 with a pretty cool guy driving. There was an old B5 S4 wagon. It was just a lot of good old fashioned fun. It was great just talking to all the guys and comparing notes. The weather was absolutely beautiful this morning. Everyone had a safe and good time and I absolutely loved it.

I dont have any pictures of video this time, sorry!

auditd0rk
07-26-2013, 02:33 PM
Smokin' brakes aside, I had a great time today -- especially that last session w/ 100Daily in the car! That was definitely my fastest lap [race]

I also had a chance to ride shotgun during his session... that S4 is quite fast.

As always, it was great to meet up with fellow AZ'ers, and as 100Daily mentioned, big thanks to Chris for riding shotgun on a few laps -- great pointers! Turns 6 and 8 still mess with me, but it's getting better. Can't wait for the next open lapping day!

Video from TrackAddict Pro app (my fastest lap -- includes 100Daily commentary):

http://youtu.be/PysG0-sZt4c

GoPro video of same session:

http://youtu.be/JuLExkfRXXI

DOCEVG
07-26-2013, 04:39 PM
Big thanks to 100Daily for organizing/motivating. I had a good time .....watching. I can report the S6 made it to Byers for gas, barely. So just how fast was that when you passed me? Nice to see how our cars perform.

monoseanism
07-26-2013, 04:59 PM
I showed up to the course with about 3/4th of a tank of gas in my V8 R8 (20+ gallon tank) and thought that would be fine, i was wrong. Gas light turned on just after 10AM. I made record time getting to and back from that gas station near I-70, maybe under 30 mins total. Drove for another hour and went through a half tank. Fucking crazy how thirsty that motor is..

100Daily
07-26-2013, 06:53 PM
Doc, I sped up a bit for your benefit but probably 120-125 [:D] And then literally 15 seconds after I passed you I got hit with full blast Ka (radar) from a state patrol going the opposite direction. He didn't turn around though as there was no place to turn around. (kind of why I was speeding like that there) Anyway...

Well I said no video but I guess I lied. DOCEVG's RS5 is at the beginning. This isn't my best lap and this was BEFORE I went out with Chris but still fun

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=orXkjFkfQEg

100Daily
07-26-2013, 07:11 PM
Anybody want to go again next month?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

auditd0rk
07-26-2013, 07:22 PM
If I'm not on travel, count me in.

100Daily
07-28-2013, 08:25 AM
I finally got around to filling up on gas last night and did some calculations. I got 6.25mpg while on the track. I am kind of shocked how low a V6 can get!

That guy with the Lambo V10 RS6 said he used a 1/4 tank every 20 min. He has a 21 gallon tank, so I did some rough math. He was getting about ~3mpg!. The track is 2.5 miles long so that is almost a gallon a lap.

I think Sean said he was getting somewhere around ~4mpg in his R8. These Audi's know how to drink!

yas
07-29-2013, 07:12 AM
Bummed I missed this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2