PDA

View Full Version : Cali to Denver..putting awd to use.

Owoodee
07-02-2013, 03:30 PM
Wife and i are looking to pack up and leave LA for Denver. Two questions. Is Denver area A5 friendly or do i have to pull double duty and buy a SUV to survive out there? (snow etc)

Also any recommended areas and places to stay away from when looking for a house?

Looking forwarded to meeting new Audi enthusiasts.

Mike

boostedAvant
07-02-2013, 03:40 PM
You're totally fine with your A5 in Denver. Plenty of us drive fairly low during the winter and snowplow through the streets, just get some good winter tires. Do you know where you're going to be working? That could have a lot to do with where you should look for places to live.

100Daily
07-02-2013, 03:58 PM
Welcome!

I had an A5 here. The A5 will get you around just fine, including the mountains in the snow. You just may need snow tires that is all.

I just pray that you have the 2.0T A5 and not the 3.2L A5. The elevation will totally kill a 3.2.

As far as where to stay, that is a tough question. If you are a city person, live in Denver. I am sure some people could make some suggestions as far as different parts of Denver. Lone Tree/Centennial is nice and close to Denver. Boulder is really cool but very liberal and expensive. Parker is good family place. Avoid Aurora like the plague. Highlands Ranch is for stuck up yuppies, avoid. Lakewood is old middle class, but ok. Avoid Commerce City or northeast of Denver in general. Northglenn has older middle class houses if that is what you are looking for. Same with Arvada and Westminster. Cherry Creek if you are rich and want to live in Denver. What am I forgetting... In general, if you want nicer areas (and forests) go far west or far south of Denver.

Anyway, welcome!

Greedo
07-02-2013, 03:58 PM
A lot of good info here

http://www.audizine.com/forum/showthread.php/506474-Officially-trading-in-Chicago-for-Denver

Owoodee
07-02-2013, 04:15 PM
You're totally fine with your A5 in Denver. Plenty of us drive fairly low during the winter and snowplow through the streets, just get some good winter tires. Do you know where you're going to be working? That could have a lot to do with where you should look for places to live.

Well my company has an office in denver but i can work from home as well so i am pretty flexabile. Good to know my 5 can survive.

Welcome!

I had an A5 here. The A5 will get you around just fine, including the mountains in the snow. You just may need snow tires that is all.

I just pray that you have the 2.0T A5 and not the 3.2L A5. The elevation will totally kill a 3.2.

As far as where to stay, that is a tough question. If you are a city person, live in Denver. I am sure some people could make some suggestions as far as different parts of Denver. Lone Tree/Centennial is nice and close to Denver. Boulder is really cool but very liberal and expensive. Parker is good family place. Avoid Aurora like the plague. Highlands Ranch is for stuck up yuppies, avoid. Lakewood is old middle class, but ok. Avoid Commerce City or northeast of Denver in general. Northglenn has older middle class houses if that is what you are looking for. Same with Arvada and Westminster. Cherry Creek if you are rich and want to live in Denver. What am I forgetting... In general, if you want nicer areas (and forests) go far west or far south of Denver.

Anyway, welcome!Ah alot of good info!. Sucks i was looking in aurora and they had a ton of super nice houses at a good price. I guess i know why now. Def looking for a newer homes as i dont want to have to fix or do anything lol. What do you classify as rich? 500k house gets me a shack in california but seems like you can get mansions in colorado lol. Then again do you guys get super high power or gas bills for heating in winter? I think i pay about 1300 every two months in summer for AC in CA. Again hence why i am moving.

Sadly i do have the 3.2 as the exhaust note sounds amazeballs without the s5 gas guzzle. Luckily i think the only long driving i would be doing will most likely be on cruise with you guys.

A lot of good info here

http://www.audizine.com/forum/showthread.php/506474-Officially-trading-in-Chicago-for-DenverThank man!

100Daily
07-02-2013, 04:16 PM
Aurora is a big place, and there are a few isolated pockets of nice areas in Aurora. Primarily on the extreme south end. For 500k you can certainly find a nice place. In that case... I would look in Lone Tree. Close to Denver, nice places. 500k works there. Maybe extreme East side of Highlands Ranch. 500k in Boulder won't get you much, but Boulder is cool. Castle Rock has some nice areas if you want to live in the woods and have a nice house but its a bit far to drive into Denver. I live in the Pinery (in Parker) where 500k would also get you a nice house, but its 30 mins to Denver. Its wooded, and the neighborhood is super clean and nice but its pretty boring.

SomeDayAS4
07-02-2013, 04:25 PM
for 500k id move out to castle rock, we get tons of people moving from cali into this area.

GreatZar
07-02-2013, 09:54 PM
If you don't mind about schools, stay close to the action in Washington Park, Stapleton, or Highlands. Further out, look into Golden (if you want to launch into the mountains a lot), old town Arvada, south-west Littleton, south Aurora, Lone Tree, Highlands Ranch, Greenwood Village (might be too pricey/snooty), Centennial, Parker. Castle Pines and Castle Rock are a bit far. If you love 0.5+ acre lots, Parker and Elizabeth. I can't get into living in a town with several large animal feed stores. ;-) If you aren't bothered by Parker/HR, you can also look into Erie (close to Boulder but cheaper and still nice).

Without kids, I'd get a Wash Park place hands down.

McGovs2.7TB5
07-03-2013, 07:37 AM
$500K will buy a house on the golf course in West Arvada

Owoodee
07-03-2013, 07:48 AM
Aurora is a big place, and there are a few isolated pockets of nice areas in Aurora. Primarily on the extreme south end. For 500k you can certainly find a nice place. In that case... I would look in Lone Tree. Close to Denver, nice places. 500k works there. Maybe extreme East side of Highlands Ranch. 500k in Boulder won't get you much, but Boulder is cool. Castle Rock has some nice areas if you want to live in the woods and have a nice house but its a bit far to drive into Denver. I live in the Pinery (in Parker) where 500k would also get you a nice house, but its 30 mins to Denver. Its wooded, and the neighborhood is super clean and nice but its pretty boring.
Wow this forum is way more helpful than californias ever was lol. I would def like to be in a wooded area but i dont want to be in the boon docs either as i am sure ill be in the city from time to time. Ill def check these places out thanks alot for the detail

for 500k id move out to castle rock, we get tons of people moving from cali into this area. Yeah a few people ive talked to said alot of CAs have been venturing out that way.

If you don't mind about schools, stay close to the action in Washington Park, Stapleton, or Highlands. Further out, look into Golden (if you want to launch into the mountains a lot), old town Arvada, south-west Littleton, south Aurora, Lone Tree, Highlands Ranch, Greenwood Village (might be too pricey/snooty), Centennial, Parker. Castle Pines and Castle Rock are a bit far. If you love 0.5+ acre lots, Parker and Elizabeth. I can't get into living in a town with several large animal feed stores. ;-) If you aren't bothered by Parker/HR, you can also look into Erie (close to Boulder but cheaper and still nice).

Without kids, I'd get a Wash Park place hands down. Yeah i got an 8 month old so the school thing will eventually be a factor. thanks for all the info.

$500K will buy a house on the golf course in West Arvada I need a house on the track! lol jk

McGovs2.7TB5
07-03-2013, 07:52 AM
Well we have High Plains Raceway but there ain't shit but the track and grass out there.

Tyler S4
07-03-2013, 08:45 AM
I have lived in the north end of Denver my whole life 136th and i25. So Thornton, Westminster, broomfield area north of 136th you will find houses in the 500k south of it your looking at about 150-300k. That area is really good and has a pretty good school district. It is about 20 minutes to Denver depending on where you're at. As for what 100daily said about northeast Denver I am going to agree and disagree. Some parts should be avoided. However if you go wayyy northeast to a community (who wants to be their own city) called reunion it is very nice. Pretty much everything out here is new within the last 10 years and is still expanding. I live out here now and love it. Its really quite (other than the planes but you get used to them) very light traffic all the time. Its about 30-35 minutes of easy going driving into Denver. I don't really like cities too much so that's why I like it. If you are a city kinda guy then closer to Denver would probably be better.

McGovs2.7TB5
07-03-2013, 09:04 AM
A buddy of mine lives in Reunion, a trip to the grocery store used to be an hour round trip, did they fix that?

Tyler S4
07-03-2013, 09:11 AM
A buddy of mine lives in Reunion, a trip to the grocery store used to be an hour round trip, did they fix that?

There is a king soopers right on 104th and chambers now. 2 minute drive max from my house

papadelogan
07-03-2013, 11:17 AM
Golden might be your best bet, but I'm not an expert on real estate. The thought of the mortgage payment on a $500k house.... F THAT. Maybe if I hit some lottery, but I'd still put more in to lots of land than a house than needs cleaning, etc. But there would be a GIANT MEGA MOFO shop, you can be sure of that!

FYI - whenever you do make it out, in Lafayette, the 1st Saturday of the month is a "Cars & Coffee" event; not just Audi, but anything and everything. GT40s, Lambos, VWs, musclecars... worth the drive.

Tweakophyte
07-04-2013, 05:47 AM
Where, specifically is your company (for commute times)?

What are yours stats and what do you like to do? Just one kid? Married? Etc.

Curious, what do you do that your company is moving you out here.

Owoodee
07-05-2013, 08:13 AM
Where, specifically is your company (for commute times)?

What are yours stats and what do you like to do? Just one kid? Married? Etc.

Curious, what do you do that your company is moving you out here.

My office is actually just outside of highlands ranch. Currently just have one kid with my wife. My company isnt sending me out. I am just picking up and moving as my wife and I like Denver. CA is really expensive and im tired of paying just to survive vs actually having some money to enjoy life. Like i had said earlier though i dont need to be in the office to do what i do though. Im in management and all of team is remote and works from home. Just looking for places with modern houses, some wooded area, and not in a spot where it takes 30-60 minutes just to get to a grocery store lol.

As for what i typically do i do the full spectrum. Car meets, Canyon runs, snow boarding, shooting guns, hiking, all the typical things. I am always looking to try new activities and meet new people.

As far as costs go for maintaining a house is there any crazy fees you guys typically have to pay IE heating in winter, Road clearing for snow etc? Whats typically the ouch bill $$ youd get owning a home in Denver?

100Daily
07-05-2013, 08:38 AM
Snip

Alright then... Castle Pines. That is it. Its close to Highlands Ranch. Its close to Denver. Its in the woods. There is no nicer area around there that meet all your criteria and its in your price range.

Your only other options in the area are:
Castle Rock - Too old and run down
Highlands Ranch - Way too yuppy and packed with houses (barf). Cookie cutter houses. Urban sprawl. No woods.
Parker - Too annoying of a drive to go to Highlands Ranch everyday from the wooded side of Parker, kind of far from Denver
Centennial - Maybe, but not as nice of houses and no woods.
Aurora - Way to far to Highlands Ranch, plus its shitty
Sedalia - Maybe an option. VERY spread out and wooded, NICE houses, but its rural living.
Greenwood Village - No woods, nice houses, urban sprawl, close to denver, not a bad option.
Littleton - Too far from HR, too much traffic, too old and run down, $500k and you would be the richest person in Littleton.
Lone Tree - Close to Denver, no woods, nice houses, but $500k is kind of stretching it (but doable). You pay a premium for being in that area.

100Daily
07-05-2013, 08:50 AM
As far as costs go for maintaining a house is there any crazy fees you guys typically have to pay IE heating in winter, Road clearing for snow etc? Whats typically the ouch bill $$ youd get owning a home in Denver?

I missed these questions. My house is nearly 3,000sq feet and I pay like $300 in the peak of winter to heat it. There are no road clearing fees, its paid for by your property taxes. You shovel your own driveway or get a mini-tractor. (In Denver they don't clear the side roads btw, its total BS. Douglas County is MUCH MUCH better about it)

I don't know of any unexpected fees, except you need to realize that if you chose to live in the woods your house could burn to the ground. I never thought it would happen to me until I got evacuated and the fire department told me if the winds didn't shift every building from Franktown to E-470 would have been lost. Its not likely, but its good to be aware of that when you look at houses.

McGovs2.7TB5
07-05-2013, 09:08 AM
Definitely consider the wildfires, I pretty certain we've lost over 1000 homes last Summer and this one, so far, combined.

Owoodee
07-05-2013, 12:00 PM
I missed these questions. My house is nearly 3,000sq feet and I pay like $300 in the peak of winter to heat it. There are no road clearing fees, its paid for by your property taxes. You shovel your own driveway or get a mini-tractor. (In Denver they don't clear the side roads btw, its total BS. Douglas County is MUCH MUCH better about it)

I don't know of any unexpected fees, except you need to realize that if you chose to live in the woods your house could burn to the ground. I never thought it would happen to me until I got evacuated and the fire department told me if the winds didn't shift every building from Franktown to E-470 would have been lost. Its not likely, but its good to be aware of that when you look at houses.

Thats nuts. I mean i am use to brush fires and earthquake stuff out here but i never lived by the hill sides so i was always safe from the fires. I didnt think forest fires happened all that often. i mean i know the most recent one but yeah. Outside of that thats awesome on the heating. LA i get Raped on power/water/gas etc. My house is only 2,300 sq ft (which is large for CA) and god forbid if i want to keep the house cool or warm lol. Thanks again ill check out the places you mentioned.

Definitely consider the wildfires, I pretty certain we've lost over 1000 homes last Summer and this one, so far, combined.will do thanks man!

Tweakophyte
07-05-2013, 02:36 PM
My office is actually just outside of highlands ranch.
<snip>

Okay... you are too far south for me to help.

Owoodee
07-05-2013, 03:08 PM
Okay... you are too far south for me to help.

I am up for any suggestions i can live anywhere in CO as i am able to work from home.

Operator
07-05-2013, 03:40 PM
I am up for any suggestions i can live anywhere in CO as i am able to work from home.

In that case, look into Northern Colorado. Wellington, Windsor, Loveland, Fort Collins.

GreatZar
07-05-2013, 08:53 PM
I have a 3000sqft home in Highlands Ranch and it can cost as high as $400/mo with shitty windows for gas in the winter. I've also spent $400/mo when I plant new sod for water in the summer. But these are the extremes. Highlands Ranch fees are $130/qtr for my size/value home (extremely cheap for all the resources you get -- 4 rec centers, lots of parks and open space). My street rarely needs plowing (it's only been plowed 2 times a year on average for the past 20yrs).

HOA fees for Castle Pines may be about $220/qtr for a similar sized house. This excludes gated communities there (much higher HOA fees would be my guess).

There is no Prop13 in Colorado. So property taxes can vary (mine is about 0.9% of the value) and they get adjusted annually (not fixed to the original purchase price).

Owoodee
07-06-2013, 09:06 AM
In that case, look into Northern Colorado. Wellington, Windsor, Loveland, Fort Collins.

I like Fort Collins i use to have some friends their but did start to get that feeling off being off that map. Great place though for sure. Loveland isnt that the area where it smells really bad?

SomeDayAS4
07-06-2013, 09:20 AM
I like Fort Collins i use to have some friends their but did start to get that feeling off being off that map. Great place though for sure. Loveland isnt that the area where it smells really bad?

nope thats greely. Loveland is just south of fortcollins.