PDA

View Full Version : Coolant leak passenger side of 1.8T

Sidewayzracer
06-20-2013, 11:58 AM
I have a pretty fast leak on the passenger side i can see it leaking down directly behind the ac compressor but i can not see the source. from the top side i cant see the source of the leak either, some have suggested its the coolant flange but i dont see any wetness near the flange or on the top of the transmission. The coolant did freeze over the winter and cracked the tstat housing which i have replaced.

The leak seems to be most active while just sitting.

could it be a turbo coolant line leaking?

Tanzimur
06-20-2013, 01:18 PM
Let me tell you its that p.o.s. hard to get to turbo coolant return hose to block youll have to take the front clip off get it in service mode and you can see it perfectly and get it out with some type of ease i had this blow on me 1month back an it was a pita coming off and on, because of the tight spot you'll have to get a 19mm open end wrench down there an turn it very little by little but surely it will come off its a long banjo bolt but be careful once its of there washers that go on the outer sides of the hose head, btw its an S shape part.

Sidewayzracer
06-24-2013, 06:27 AM
update it turns out to be a crack in the block the one thing i feared... anyone have a good 058 block laying about?

Tanzimur
06-24-2013, 06:57 AM
Wtf how??? are you sure cause thats exactly what i feared but it was that hose i mentioned above...

Sidewayzracer
06-24-2013, 07:06 AM
Yep i pulled it apart on saturady and checked the hose and was fine and could see the leak slightly above and further in but couldnt see the source. So took it to a shop and had them camera scope it and sure enough crack. I think i found a block in penn. for $50 so it might end up being pretty cheap still gotta swap out some valve seals while im at it.

Tanzimur
06-24-2013, 09:55 AM
Man thats crazy how and why did the block crack????? good luck on the build make a thread about it lol

c0r3y.af
06-24-2013, 10:37 AM
Yep i pulled it apart on saturady and checked the hose and was fine and could see the leak slightly above and further in but couldnt see the source. So took it to a shop and had them camera scope it and sure enough crack. I think i found a block in penn. for $50 so it might end up being pretty cheap still gotta swap out some valve seals while im at it.

Crack in the block? Damn man, sorry to hear that. Looks like you're located in Mass. I have an 058 block I'm looking to get rid of pretty cheap. Shoot me a message and we can discuss.

Sidewayzracer
06-25-2013, 05:26 AM
Man thats crazy how and why did the block crack????? good luck on the build make a thread about it lol

not doing anything crazy just a straight up repair i have another B5 i would rather build as its an actual 5 spd and the center dif has been modified

Tanzimur
06-25-2013, 07:58 AM
ohh so this cracked blocks a tiptronic??