PDA

View Full Version : Worth the investment?

Ryanic
06-19-2013, 10:53 PM
So I stumbled across this craigslist ad today,
"i have a 1999 Audi a4 that blew the aeb 1.8t motor great tranny and drive line body is in decent shape except for a blue hood and a broken headlight grey leather interior that's all there expect for floor mats 17 inch painted black wheels led tail lights brand new stainless 3inch down pipe new brakes NO TITLE parts car only or a super fast race car ha $500 will take trades I need this car gone!!!!! "

http://images.craigslist.org/3E63K23Le5Ld5Fa5M6d6ce32ca6f3d3951964.jpg
http://images.craigslist.org/3G33F53Jf5N75E25K8d6c5d86e22dc43d1108.jpg
http://images.craigslist.org/3r73te3G35Lc5r55F1d6cb9badbef1a4e1efb.jpg

Would it be worth picking up if it's still available and parting it out here on Audizine/Craigslist?

I'd take a few parts from the car for my 98 A4 but I wanted to know if you think I could make a profit from it....I only have like $550 left in my bank account haha.

Thoughts?

Edit*

Just texted him and the car is still available. I feel like I could easily turn at least a $500 total profit from this with time.

Also at worst I can just scrap the car in the end for a few hundred.

Edit Again*

Told me he'd take $400 if i grabbed it by friday... I live like 50 minutes from him so...

coolgraymemo
06-19-2013, 11:06 PM
Interested in the exhaust and taillights.

redline380
06-19-2013, 11:11 PM
if i wasnt going back to school this fall, i'd buy that thing right now. and i'm serious. note my location. parting a car out kinda sucks, but i could easily turn a profit on that thing. not to mention you could get $400 just taking it into the junkyard. hell, i could damn near turn a profit from everything under the hood. it would take time though. some shit would sell fast, but it takes a while to unload it. then just bring it in to the crusher and they'll give you over $200 for the shell

i should mention it seems shady. no title for a car that looks and is described as driveable? possible stolen car. i'd investigate before you purchase

Ryanic
06-19-2013, 11:14 PM
Hey hey hey, I got squats on it. I was just asking the forums thoughts on it. I'm broke as fuck and I need some money. I saw it and saw the opportunity to make some money off of it. Plus I do need a few parts from it to fix some things on my audi.

Ryanic
06-19-2013, 11:25 PM
The engine is blown. He was just stating that if you were to replace the engine it could be a "super fast race car" lol...And yeah I'd get the VIN first and contact the police to see if its stolen

Edit*

Claims there is no title because when he was transferring the title into his name the date of sale was written over twice so they said it was invalid date of sale and wouldn't send him a copy of the title. And that also he got too many tickets in it so they pulled the registration...I asked for the VIN number from him also.

Idk if that's kinda shady.

I know for my first car I bought I screwed up the title transfer and they wouldn't accept it...so I had to track down the guy I bought it from and get him to sign in the correct spot before they allowed the title to be transferred... So in a way technically the car isn't his? Lol If he never got the title transferred...

redline380
06-19-2013, 11:48 PM
So in a way technically the car isn't his? Lol If he never got the title transferred...

technically, yes the car is his. it is in his possesion. legally, no the car his not his since he doesn't own it. and since the law only cares about legality and not technicality, i probably wouldn't purchase it. if you were part it out without a title in hand, you could potentially be committing a crime. odds are the legal owner doesnt care, but legally he has a right to his property. the whole thing reeks of potential issues.

Ryanic
06-19-2013, 11:53 PM
I was under the impression you didn't have to have a title for a parts car...Or does that only count if you're using the car for your own use? And not parting it out? And since It may not "legally" be his it wouldn't matter if I got him to sign a bill of sale to me? I'm going to look into it more and see what I can dig up. I want it, but I want to make sure I'm not going to get myself in trouble. Maybe I'll give a ring to the local DMV and see what they say...

Mad Cow
06-20-2013, 07:50 AM
I don't know what kind of junkyard will accept a car without a title, that's an enormous legal liability for them. No title is incredibly sketchy, I would stay the hell away unless you're prepared to deal with issues all around.

Ryanic
06-20-2013, 08:35 AM
Yeah that's what I was wondering about. I'm pretty sure the junkyard won't take it unless you have a title.

Ryanic
06-21-2013, 12:06 PM
Update, I got the Vin#, checks out from a free basic online check...It matches the car description/photos etc.... He mentioned about trying to send me a photo of a copy title? But My phone never received the image sadly... (It's trying to download but sometimes my phone locks up and never downloads images). Also when I asked him for his name he responded back with you can have my name when you come get the car. I don't need someone trying to say the car is there and I stole it just cause I don't have a title. the car is in my name and rightfully mine.

Since I never got the image of the supposed "copy title image" I can't verify that the #Vin he gave me matches the vin on the supposed "copy title image".

I mean Idk if I'm just completely paranoid or what but It doesn't seem to strange...but then at the same time it is still kind of shady.

Ran the #Vin he gave me through a text, at https://www.nicb.org/theft_and_fraud_awareness/vincheck,
Didn't show any theft records/It being totaled...

Free VIN Lookup Info,
VIN: WAUCB28D8XA032447
WMI / VDS / VIS: WAU / CB28D8 / XA032447

Model: A4
Make (Manufacturer): Audi
Model year: 1999
Country (Region): not assigned (Europe)
Plant: Germany, Ingolstadt
Sequential number: 032447
Fewer than 500 per year: NO
More information: Get Certified Vehicle History Report AND Get Complete VIN Audit

Anti-brake system: 4-Wheel ABS
Body style: SEDAN 4-DR
Brake - front: Disc
Brake - rear: Disc
Cargo volume: 13.70 cu. ft. / 387.9 liter
Consumption in the city: 18 miles/gallon / 13.1 liters/100 km
Consumption on the highway: 27 miles/gallon / 8.7 liters/100 km
Curb weight: 3241 lbs / 1473.2 kg
Driveline: AWD
Engine capacity: 4 Cylinder, 1.8 L, DOHC, Turbo
Engine series: 4-Cyl. 1.8L
Engine type: 1.8L L4 DOHC 20V TURBO
Fuel tank: 15.90 gallon / 60.2 liter
Fuel type: Gasoline
Ground clearance: 4.30 in / 10.9 cm
Overall height: 55.80 in / 141.7 cm
Overall length: 178.00 in / 452.1 cm
Overall width: 68.20 in / 173.2 cm
Standard seating: 5
Steering Type: R&P
Tires: 205/60R15
Transmission: 5-Speed Manual Overdrive, 5-Speed Automatic Overdrive
Trim level: 1.8T Quattro
Turning Diameter: 36.40 in / 92.5 cm
Warranty distance: 50 000 mile / 80 000 km
Warranty duration: 36 month
Wheelbase: 102.60 in / 260.6 cm

Ryanic
06-21-2013, 10:20 PM
So I'm going to be going to pick it up tomorrow... If anyone needs anything off of it shoot me a PM...I'll be posting in the classifieds once I pick it up officially. But FYI I am taking the exhaust system (Just recently told me there is a different muffler on there now..Don't really know what it is until I got get it), possibly a front seat, a few other interior pieces.

coolgraymemo
06-21-2013, 10:23 PM
Interested in the exhaust and taillights.

Not srs.

Your AutoCheck Vehicle History Report
1999 Audi A4 Quattro
Report Run Date: 2013-06-22 01:23:44.238 EDT
Report Summary

Class: Upscale - Near Luxury
Engine: 1.8L I4 SFI
Country of Assembly: Germany
Vehicle Age: 14 year(s)
Calculated Owners: 8
VIN: WAUCB28D8XA032447
Year: 1999
Make: Audi
Model: A4 Quattro
Style/Body: Sedan 4D
This vehicle's AutoCheck Score

The AutoCheck Score is a summary of your vehicle's history. It lets you compare similar vehicles with ease.
About the AutoCheck Score
This vehicle does not qualify for Buyback Protection

Unfortunately, this vehicle does not qualify for our Buyback Protection program.
About Buyback Protection

AccidentCheck
Reported accidents: 1

Title and ProblemCheck
Major title or other problem(s) reported

OdometerCheck
Your vehicle checks out!
Last Reported Odometer Reading: 92,515

Vehicle Use and EventCheck
Specific vehicle use(s) or events reported
View Full History

AccidentCheck
Not all accidents / issues are reported to AutoCheck.

Information Reported! AutoCheck shows accidents reported to AutoCheck for this 1999 Audi A4 Quattro (WAUCB28D8XA032447). Below you will find the date and location reported for the accident. Not all accidents or damage events are reported to AutoCheck.

Accidents Reported on This Vehicle
Accident No. Reported Date Location
1 09/02/2005 SIOUX CENTER, IA
Reported accidents or damage events are a result of vehicle collisions or other non-collision incidents such as vandalism or theft. Not all accidents or damage events are reported to AutoCheck.

Title and ProblemCheck

Problem Reported! AutoCheck's database for this 1999 Audi A4 Quattro (WAUCB28D8XA032447) shows a negative title(s) or other problems. When reported to AutoCheck, these events can indicate serious past damage or other significant problems, and disqualifies the vehicle for AutoCheck Buyback Protection. Check the Vehicle Use and EventCheck for reported accidents.

1 Problem(s) Reported: 15 Title/Problem areas checked:
No abandoned title record
No damaged title or major damage incident record
No fire damaged title record
No grey market title record
No hail damage title record
No insurance loss title or probable total loss record
No junk or scrapped title record
No manufacturer buyback/lemon title record
No odometer problem title record
No rebuilt/rebuildable title record
Salvage title or salvage auction record(s)
No water damaged title record
No NHTSA crash test record
No frame/unibody damage record
No recycling facility record
OdometerCheck

Your Vehicle Checks Out! AutoCheck examined the reported odometer readings reported to AutoCheck for this 1999 Audi A4 Quattro (WAUCB28D8XA032447) and no indication of an odometer rollback or tampering was found. AutoCheck uses business rules to determine if reported odometer readings are significantly less than previously reported values. Not all reported odometer readings are used. Title and auction events also report odometer tampering or breakage.

0 Problem(s) Reported: Mileage Date Reported
39 12/28/1998
17,394 06/28/2000
56,604 09/23/2004
64,720 01/07/2005
92,515 04/02/2008
Vehicle Use and EventCheck

Information Reported! AutoCheck shows additional vehicle uses or events reported to AutoCheck for this 1999 Audi A4 Quattro (WAUCB28D8XA032447). This includes reported vehicle uses such as rental or lease, and events such as whether the vehicle has been reported to have had a loan/lien or a duplicate title issued. Other events show if the vehicle has a reported accident and how many calculated accidents or if it has been reported stolen or repossessed. It is recommended to have pre-owned vehicles inspected by a third party prior to purchase.

1 Event(s) Reported: 6 Vehicle uses checked:
Fleet, rental and/or lease use record(s)
No taxi use record
No police use record
No government use record
No livery use record
No driver education record
4 Event(s) Reported: 9 Vehicle events checked:
1 Accident record(s) reported through accident data sources
Corrected title record(s)
No duplicate title record
Emission/safety inspection record(s)
Loan/Lien record(s)
No fire damage incident record
No repossessed record
No theft record
No storm area registration/title record
Full History

Below are the historical events for this vehicle listed in chronological order. Any discrepancies will be in bold text.

Report Run Date 2013-06-22 01:23:44.238 EDT

Vehicle: 1999 Audi A4 Quattro (WAUCB28D8XA032447)

Event date Location Odometer reading Data Source Details
11/27/1998 CO
Independent Source VEHICLE MANUFACTURED AND SHIPPED TO DEALER
11/28/1998 CO
Motor Vehicle Dept. EMISSION INSPECTION
12/28/1998 CO
Motor Vehicle Dept. TITLE (Title #:12R067771)
01/07/1999 DENVER, CO
Motor Vehicle Dept. REGISTRATION EVENT/RENEWAL (Leased Vehicle)
01/18/2000 DENVER, CO
Motor Vehicle Dept. REGISTRATION EVENT/RENEWAL (Leased Vehicle)
06/28/2000 GRAND PRAIRIE, TX
Motor Vehicle Dept. TITLE (Title #:29720036703150544)
SALVAGE
07/01/2000 GRAND PRAIRIE, TX
Motor Vehicle Dept. REGISTRATION EVENT/RENEWAL
SALVAGE
01/23/2001 COLD SPRING, MN
Motor Vehicle Dept. TITLE (Title #:H0246N067) (Lien Reported)
REGISTRATION EVENT/RENEWAL
SALVAGE
04/17/2001 COLD SPRING, MN
Motor Vehicle Dept. TITLE (Title #:H1080N347) (Lien Reported)
11/26/2001 SAINT JOSEPH, MN
07/11/2002 GRAND PRAIRIE, TX
10/28/2002 SAINT JOSEPH, MN
SALVAGE
12/05/2002 SAINT JOSEPH, MN
Motor Vehicle Dept. TITLE (Title #:F3294P049)
SALVAGE
10/22/2003 SAINT JOSEPH, MN
SALVAGE
09/23/2004 SAINT CLOUD, MN
Motor Vehicle Dept. TITLE (Title #:C3410S780)
SALVAGE
12/06/2004 SAINT CLOUD, MN
SALVAGE
01/07/2005 SIOUX CENTER, IA
Motor Vehicle Dept. TITLE (Title #:84AA00205)
01/10/2005 SIOUX CENTER, IA
Motor Vehicle Dept. TITLE (Title #:84AA00255)
CORRECTED TITLE
PRIOR SALVAGE
09/02/2005 SIOUX CENTER, IA
Accident Source MINOR ACCIDENT OR VEHICLE DAMAGE REPORTED
01/11/2006 SIOUX CENTER, IA
01/19/2007 SIOUX CENTER, IA
01/22/2008 SIOUX CENTER, IA
04/02/2008 SIOUX CENTER, IA
Motor Vehicle Dept. TITLE (Title #:84AA37537)
PRIOR SALVAGE
11/14/2008 SIOUX CENTER, IA
12/05/2008 SIOUX CENTER, IA
PRIOR SALVAGE
01/21/2009 SIOUX CENTER, IA
10/20/2009 HULL, IA
Motor Vehicle Dept. TITLE (Title #:84AA54670) (Lien Reported)
10/20/2009 HULL, IA
10/20/2009 HULL, IA
Motor Vehicle Dept. PRIOR SALVAGE
12/09/2009 HULL, IA
03/09/2011 INWOOD, IA
Motor Vehicle Dept. TITLE (Title #:60AA26172) (Lien Reported)
PRIOR SALVAGE
09/14/2011 REMER, MN
Motor Vehicle Dept. TITLE (Title #:J2570V301) (Lien Reported)
EXCLUDED/EXEMPT
04/16/2012 ZIMMERMAN, MN
Motor Vehicle Dept. TITLE (Title #:N2036Q000)
EXCLUDED/EXEMPT
07/21/2012 ZIMMERMAN, MN
EXCLUDED/EXEMPT
This Vehicle's Glossary

Below are the specific definitions for events that appear in this vehicle's report.
More information is available in the full AutoCheck glossary.

Term Section Location Definition
Salvage Title and ProblemCheck A salvage vehicle is a vehicle that has been wrecked or damaged beyond repair; declared a total loss by the insurer; or declared a total loss by reason of theft. When an insurance company as a result of a total loss settlement acquires a vehicle, the insurance company must apply for a Salvage Certificate. If the owner retains possession of a salvage vehicle, the owner must obtain a Salvage Certificate before receiving a total loss statement from the insurance company.
Emission/Safety Inspection Vehicle Use and EventCheck An approved emission testing station has inspected the vehicle to measure the amount of pollutants the vehicle emits into the environment.
Loan/Lien Vehicle Use and EventCheck A loan/lien is the legal right to take and hold or sell the vehicle of a debtor as security or payment for a debt. Normally, a vehicle will have a lien due to a loan or unpaid repair bill against the vehicle. Check with the seller to ensure that the lien has been satisfied.
Corrected Title Vehicle Use and EventCheck The State DMV has issued a corrected title for the vehicle.
Accident or Vehicle Damage Vehicle Use and EventCheck Reported accidents or damage events are a result of vehicle collisions or other non-collision incidents such as vandalism or theft. Not all accidents or damage events are reported to AutoCheck. Certain accident or damage events are reported by the source to have resulted in minor, moderate or severe damage to the vehicle, or the events are calculated by AutoCheck to have resulted in minor, moderate or severe damage based on the information reported. It is recommended to have pre-owned vehicles inspected by a third party prior to purchase.
Fleet, Rental and/or Lease Use Vehicle Use and EventCheck The vehicle has been reported as used as a fleet, rental, and/or lease vehicle.

AutoCheck Terms and Conditions
This report, and any reliance upon it, is subject to AutoCheck Terms and Conditions . If you obtained the report from a dealer, the dealer has been provided with these Terms & Conditions and can share them with you. These AutoCheck Terms and Conditions are also available at any time at www.autocheck.com/terms or by writing to Experian: Experian Automotive C/O AutoCheck Customer Service 955 American Lane Schaumburg IL 60173

Buyback Protection Terms and Conditions
This vehicle (WAUCB28D8XA032447) does not quailify for AutoCheck Buyback Protection.

About AutoCheck
AutoCheck vehicle history reports by Experian Automotive is the leading vehicle history reporting service. With expert data handling, the Experian Automotive database houses over 4 billion records on a half a billion vehicles. Every AutoCheck vehicle history report will give you confidence when buying or selling your next used vehicle, with superior customer service every step of the way.

Patent Notice
Certain aspects of this vehicle history report may be covered by U.S. Patent 8,005,759.

Ryanic
06-21-2013, 10:52 PM
Okay so from what i gather, It has a salvaged title.. (Don't really care, since it's a part out car..) It was in one accident..again don't care. But all in all nothing major seemed to pop out? Seems like there was some issues with the title etc.. But I don't know exactly what it means.

Also that it seems that a lien was reported in 2011... How can you tell if the lien has been satisfied?

And thanks for running a full background history on the VIN! I appreciate it!