PDA

View Full Version : Noticing an issue downshifting

ToXicXxX
06-16-2013, 02:30 AM
I'm noticing in the A4 I just picked up that when trying to down shift I can cycle all my gears just fine... Except for first. When I go to downshift into first it will not let me until my speed is really low, 20km/h(with clutch fully depressed), other then that it will grind. Any insight?

schnellboy
06-16-2013, 06:51 AM
Yea thats a good thing. I almost never go into first unless I am coming off a dead stop. And when I downshift I let second idle all the way down to 1,500rpm or lower, so there is no need for first. Plus it sounds great doing it that way with the exhaust! Im not sure if it is a safety built into the tranny, but if it is... it is probably so you dont slam it into first when looking for third.

seanj130
06-16-2013, 06:54 AM
NEVER downshift to first unless you are at a stop.. I can't tell if this is a serious thread or you are just trolling..

jaychen
06-16-2013, 07:11 AM
haha think he is serious..

gmx
06-16-2013, 07:20 AM
this is a safety/lockout just like reverse and also to prevent you moneyshifting on the intended 2-3 shift.

ianwpb
06-16-2013, 07:34 AM
I can maybe get it back into 1st at around 10MPH, but you gotta be really careful. Unless you're racing and are willing to risk damaging your tranny, I wouldn't attempt it.

jaychen
06-16-2013, 07:40 AM
this is a safety/lockout just like reverse and also to prevent you moneyshifting on the intended 2-3 shift.

OT:

how do you like maestro ?

i assume Ed set you up?

walky_talky20
06-16-2013, 07:55 AM
You are asking the synchro to work *really* hard when you try to grab first while you're moving that fast. It's not going to do that very many times before you wear it out. Our 5-speed transmissions are an "oldschool" design from back when people knew not to do that, lol. Our first and second gears are not double or triple-synchro'd like newer transmissions. Just one [fairly lousy] synchronizer for each gear.

You can help out your transmission a great deal by learning the art of the "double clutch" downshift. This basically means that you (yes, YOU) are responsible for matching the shaft speeds, instead of making the synchro do it for you. Understanding how a manual transmission works and how the gears are selected internally will really help you out in this quest.

catbed
06-16-2013, 08:06 AM

There is no safety lockout like reverse for first. What's preventing it from going into gear is the difference in shaft speeds. You'll notice if you double clutch downshift, getting into first is no issue.

OP, like everyone else said, there is nothing to worry about.[up]

Seerlah
06-16-2013, 08:10 AM
Normal.

ToXicXxX
06-16-2013, 10:58 AM
haha think he is serious..

I've driven automatic all my life. So yes, I'm a bit retarded.

Cgoon009
06-16-2013, 11:06 AM
I've driven automatic all my life. So yes, I'm a bit retarded.

at least you own it like a man

ToXicXxX
06-16-2013, 11:11 AM
at least you own it like a man

I'm just here to learn :) I'm loving standard, I only stalled three times learning to do it, and haven't stalled or had a rough shift since. I would always play with my tip tropic before on the Passat, but the real thing is much better. I guess I have driven one standard before, but it was my Old Man's BMW Z3M.

Cgoon009
06-16-2013, 11:22 AM
I remember my first standard, I wouldn't buy anything else now.

Artiemas
06-16-2013, 02:12 PM
I remember my first standard, I wouldn't buy anything else now.

Literally the same thing. My mom has a B5 A4 Tip 2.8. Can't drive it. I'm so...Bored? It's like I'm just sitting there and doing nothing.
Even then, cruising in 5th and having not to do much is better than sitting there in drive.

But, none of my friends can drive my car, so I can never rely on other people to drive it if something goes terribly wrong with me.

Seerlah
06-16-2013, 03:25 PM
I was the only person in my immediate family who could drive a standard up to maybe 3 years ago. Now my sister can. But she babies my car when she drives it (yes, I let her drive it just to let her get a feel for it).

Cgoon009
06-16-2013, 04:56 PM
Literally the same thing. My mom has a B5 A4 Tip 2.8. Can't drive it. I'm so...Bored? It's like I'm just sitting there and doing nothing.
Even then, cruising in 5th and having not to do much is better than sitting there in drive.

But, none of my friends can drive my car, so I can never rely on other people to drive it if something goes terribly wrong with me.

This. I feel retarded when I go to drive my moms auto. When I start it, I often forget and mash the brake pedal thinking its the clutch. [facepalm]

Artiemas
06-16-2013, 05:58 PM
This. I feel retarded when I go to drive my moms auto. When I start it, I often forget and mash the brake pedal thinking its the clutch. [facepalm]

I did this in my dads truck once. Had a pumpkin in the front seat.

I'll stop there.

Mad Cow
06-16-2013, 06:15 PM
I did this in my dads truck once. Had a pumpkin in the front seat.

I'll stop there.

I once tried to put a water bottle into first gear in a column shifter car, got really confused for a split second as to why the shifter felt so sloppy and useless.

Halfrican
06-16-2013, 07:30 PM
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-W6ti67rs4b0/T1UBjzMY3-I/AAAAAAAAAz8/4nRiPiADOI8/s1600/ed-nortan-laptop.gif

Cgoon009
06-16-2013, 07:58 PM
^ HAHAHAHA

ianwpb
06-16-2013, 09:00 PM
When I drive my Wife's Jeep sometimes when I'm slowing down to turn I'll grab the shifter and push it towards where second would be, but it doesn't work. Ever.. Yet I still do it, often.

Scientist
06-17-2013, 10:13 AM
You are asking the synchro to work *really* hard when you try to grab first while you're moving that fast. It's not going to do that very many times before you wear it out. Our 5-speed transmissions are an "oldschool" design from back when people knew not to do that, lol. Our first and second gears are not double or triple-synchro'd like newer transmissions. Just one [fairly lousy] synchronizer for each gear.

You can help out your transmission a great deal by learning the art of the "double clutch" downshift. This basically means that you (yes, YOU) are responsible for matching the shaft speeds, instead of making the synchro do it for you. Understanding how a manual transmission works and how the gears are selected internally will really help you out in this quest.

I guess I'm going to date myself, but this was 'standard' procedure when driving cars like the Lotus Europa, Triumphs, MGs, TR6, some Datsuns and FIATs. The British cars were the ones who needed it the most.

Funny thing is that my old beat up VW Passat is the best for 'double clutching' without using a clutch. When I was teaching my wife and kids to drive a standard (all in that VW) I'd explain how important was to get to know your car's engine and transmission. I would come to a complete stop, turn off the engine, engage first gear and start the engine. The car would slowly pull until it the engine was running and then up-shifted AND down-shifted without the clutch; including first gear. Unfortunately, they can't be bothered.