PDA

View Full Version : Car idling at 1200rpm, Why?

AFOUR_PLAY
07-05-2005, 06:26 PM
On my way to work this morning and the car was fine 15 mins into the trip when the car was all warmed up I was turning on to a main road from a side street and gave it a bit to beat the on comming traffic.

The car is now Idling at 1200rpm. It drives fine just idles high. What could be the cause?
Is it ok to still drive?

pierce
07-05-2005, 06:38 PM
Hmm..Well, I'll tell you this. During the winter, or when it's cold outside (mornings of summer)...my engine will idle around 1,100 RPM's, too. It's normally just until the engine warms up. Also, it usually only happens when it's been sitting out all night and not in my garage.

DDQ
07-05-2005, 06:39 PM
What did you normally idle at? Sometimes it will idle higher with the A/C on, but other than that I'm not sure why all of the sudden it would change. You could also try doing a Throttle Body Alignment (see the Tech / DIY section).

Idling high really isn't bad for you car, in fact most cars idle lower than optimal b/c they set them that way from the factory for emissions and gas conservation.

Audi S4 Turbo
07-05-2005, 06:42 PM
hey now u dont need to push the gas to leave just let out the clutch...

AFOUR_PLAY
07-05-2005, 06:44 PM
It idles at 800rpm normally.

The A/C was off and the car was at normal operating temprature. It was idling at 800rpm just before I gave it WOT.

bitterchild
07-05-2005, 07:53 PM
i would look at 2 causes initially:

1) mechanical: something buildup in the throttle body assembly or the cable (assuming ndbw)

2) electrical: maybe coolant temp sens? car does idle a bit higher when it is a cold start situation. doesn't seem too likely since your water temps are normal.

I would go w/ 1 and go ahead and clean out the TB w/ some air induction cleaner.