PDA

View Full Version : Do I have a hole in my transmission case?

javbomb
06-08-2013, 02:10 AM
Hey Guys

So I have a '97 B5 A4 FWD 1.8 Non Turbo

I was under the car trying to locate an oil leak, and while looking around I noticed something which looked like a couple of holes in the bottom of my transmisison casing, its before the driveshaft though.

Photos attached.

Looking at the parts diagram it 'seems' like I found what im looking at.. or maybe im not looking at the right thing... The thing that makes me think they are not supposed to be there, is that the holes are not perfectly round and are actually fairly rough, and one of them even slightly sharp.

Had the car just over a month so not sure on the history too much on it... Seems to drive fine to me, maybe could be a little easier to get back into first slowing down but thats my only gripe.

I think the part that is just above the holes is the flywheel, because while the car is idling and im under there I see something spinning.

Any thoughts??

Bit worried.

Oil leak is coming from a different location, dripping down onto that bolt you can see in the images, any idea what is above that which could be leaking oil? Cam chain tensioner?

Thanks guys!

http://i.imgur.com/zc4CZS1.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/GxpL35o.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/Ak7PTbS.png

Nollywood
06-08-2013, 02:21 AM
Those two holes are normal. They provide access to the oil pan bolts. The roughness is due to the casting process - Audi didn't exactly pay attention to the finishing.

Seerlah
06-08-2013, 06:14 AM
^This. There are 2 hidden oil pan bolts that need to be accessed through those holes. You rotate the crank till the slots on the stock flywheel shows a clear path to the oil pan bolts. Then you slip a long extended hex in there (5mm?) to take them out.

csosnowski
06-08-2013, 06:28 AM
holes are normal, check your half moon gasket and valve cover gasket. also check the block breather tube.

Seerlah
06-08-2013, 06:42 AM
And the only person to address the relevant issue. haha

javbomb
06-08-2013, 08:12 AM
hah, thanks guys!

Will check out the gaskets.. was planning on replacing at the very least the valve cover gasket and all the other easily accessible ones with the timing belt change as the car is on 240,000kms now...

hoping its not the half moon gasket thats hard to get to right?

Would need a mechanic to do that stuff as its a little beyond me...

Thanks for the replies.

walky_talky20
06-08-2013, 09:40 AM
That drip hanging off there is on the left (USA driver's side) of the engine. The cam chain tensioner gasket and valve cover gasket usually leak more toward the right (USA passenger side) due to the way the engine is leaned. I find most often the drip hanging off of that particular bolt is due to either the PCV system being completely exploded and leaking oil everywhere, or the oil cooler o-ring is leaking.

In reality, if you want to stop the oil leaks on your car you will probably need to do "all of the above":
- Cam Chain Tensioner gasket
- Valve Cover gasket
- Oil cooler o-ring
- PCV system under the intake manifold

Believer
06-08-2013, 10:29 AM
Based on the location of the oil i'm going to stress the Oil Cooler o-ring or like Walky pointed out the PCV. When my Oil Cooler o-ring went.. it went hard and dumped all my oil in a matter of minutes. Take care of your oil leaks [up]

walky_talky20
06-08-2013, 11:13 AM
I've seen them do both: slow steady leak that just makes a mess, or dump all your oil in a few minutes. I do see more of the former. It just depends.

zandrew
06-08-2013, 11:14 AM
Wait a minute, There is 2 bolts inside this you need to access through these holes??? If you are pulling the motor do you have to pull them or are they accessible after you pull the motor?

Wehn I swap my motor out I am thinking about pulling trans and all out.

My trans looks far worse then that..... Oil soaked that is....

javbomb
06-08-2013, 06:19 PM
That drip hanging off there is on the driver's side of the engine. The cam chain tensioner gasket and valve cover gasket usually leak more toward the passenger side due to the way the engine is leaned. I find most often the drip hanging off of that particular bolt is due to either the PCV system being completely exploded and leaking oil everywhere, or the oil cooler o-ring is leaking.

In reality, if you want to stop the oil leaks on your car you will probably need to do "all of the above":
- Cam Chain Tensioner gasket
- Valve Cover gasket
- Oil cooler o-ring
- PCV system under the intake manifold

Actually my car is right hand drive because im in Australia. The leak is more to the left side of the engine. Opposite the drivers side not on the same side... Does that change any of your diagnosis?

walky_talky20
06-08-2013, 09:17 PM
Oh snap. I didn't see the location. Sorry for the confusion, I've edited my post above for clarity.

No, my diagnosis does not change. With the photos you've shown, I would be surprised if you weren't leaking oil from all 4 of those locations, if not more. It probably needs "the works".

woolveren
06-08-2013, 09:37 PM
The cam chain tensioner gasket and valve cover gasket usually leak more toward the right (USA passenger side) due to the way the engine is leaned.

Cam chain tensioner in my car is leaking oil and as Walky said the leak is more towards the right.

http://img200.imageshack.us/img200/8642/dsc0469.JPG (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/200/dsc0469.JPG/)

Uploaded with ImageShack.us (http://imageshack.us)

javbomb
06-09-2013, 01:03 AM
Oh snap. I didn't see the location. Sorry for the confusion, I've edited my post above for clarity.

No, my diagnosis does not change. With the photos you've shown, I would be surprised if you weren't leaking oil from all 4 of those locations, if not more. It probably needs "the works".

Thanks for the help Walky... hopefully its the Oil Cooler O-Ring... got a new one on the way really cheap from Ebay, so regardless Ill get that along with the other gaskets when I do the timing belt...

I just want to clarify the history of the car, when I bought it, it was spewing power steering fluid all over the place like a garden hose, and the previous owner drove it like that for a couple months just topping up the fluid, so the 'baked' in dirtyness you mostly see there is actually the PS Fluid that soaked the whole car...

7 cans of degreaser later the engine block itself and everything else has been clean for the last week with no dripping of oil anywhere at all except that one bolt which when I look up from under the engine 'seems' to be coming from above the Oil filter somewhere, which looking at the diagrams is where the Oil cooler is correct?

The other gaskets where on the bucket list anyway just for the sake of good maintenance, but this PCV system ... not sure what that is, and if it were failing would I not have discovered a lot more oil by now since I detailed the engine bay? Is that in the same location as my oil leak?

csosnowski
06-09-2013, 01:42 AM
Oil from above cooler makes me think its the block breather elbow or tee.

walky_talky20
06-09-2013, 10:22 AM
hopefully its the Oil Cooler O-Ring... got a new one on the way really cheap from Ebay,

*Cringes*. Every time I've used a $2 non-genuine oil cooler o-ring it has leaked after a month or 2. I always suggest you spend the entire $5 on the genuine OEM o-ring. But you may have better luck than I.

javbomb
06-09-2013, 07:13 PM
*Cringes*. Every time I've used a $2 non-genuine oil cooler o-ring it has leaked after a month or 2. I always suggest you spend the entire $5 on the genuine OEM o-ring. But you may have better luck than I.

I agree, it was a febi bilstein part.. almost same price as OEM... made in germany, im sure the quality will suffice, at least its not a chinese manufacture...

Being in Australia its hard to find OEM parts at a reasonable price, that seal here would cost probably $20 for absolutely no reason.