PDA

View Full Version : Service Position, need to replace belt

The Mighty Mech
07-04-2005, 08:49 PM
97 A4 2.8 12 quattro,

broken belt, a/c compressor pully wobbly, a/c line broke (left side of the engine bay by oil pan)

I need to get at the engine to do this repair. Do you have to take out the radiator lock carrier (everything off) or can this be done in the service position

-- How do you put the car in service position if so??

[wrench]

bOOOOstedAudi
07-04-2005, 08:54 PM
all that can be done in a service position pretty quickly actually. its just alittle harder

The Mighty Mech
07-04-2005, 09:14 PM
dying to know how to do this, pics would be primo[hail]

The Mighty Mech
07-05-2005, 03:55 AM
bump

DDQ
07-05-2005, 06:56 AM
Search, there's plenty of write-ups on doing the timing belt. Look in the DIY section here, and on AudiWorld.

The Mighty Mech
07-05-2005, 11:12 AM
Originally posted by The Mighty Mech
bump

dude ive been trying, why do you think i posted it... is that hard for you people to sit down and explain it. I read about how to get to the timing belt. everyone says to take out the radiator etc etc until i heard of this *service position* that you do the "lock carrier" but ive seen no write ups or pictures, only people mentioning it.

offroader1006
07-05-2005, 01:53 PM
you have to take the bumper off either way.

im quoting "godzilla" from a few months back. he said it was in the bently service manual.

"You pull the bolts from the bumper shocks and a couple up by the headlights. You thread a long bolt into on of the holes left by the bumper shock bolts. The whole front end slides out about 6 to 8 inches, giving you plenty of room to work on the front of the motor. That's how I did my timing belt. Probably saved me 4 hours since I didn't have to dissasemble the whole front of the car."

from seeing pics of it, it looks easier to remove the whole thing, as you are only a few wiring connectors and two coolant hoses away.

but for for just an AC job, this may work out better.

DDQ
07-05-2005, 02:33 PM
Originally posted by The Mighty Mech
dude ive been trying, why do you think i posted it... is that hard for you people to sit down and explain it. I read about how to get to the timing belt. everyone says to take out the radiator etc etc until i heard of this *service position* that you do the "lock carrier" but ive seen no write ups or pictures, only people mentioning it.

I would not even bother with the "service position". I tried it once. It gives you about 6 inches of clearance to get in there, and makes trying to work on the front of the engine extremely aggravating and annoying.

But if you want to try it, then if you follow the steps in the write-ups, you'll understand what the "service position" is while you're doing it. It's the same steps, you just leave the bolts on so the whole thing doesn't come off.

The service position is mentioned and explained in the instructions in the online manual for many different jobs.

http://1.8t.org/~quattroman/

The Mighty Mech
07-05-2005, 10:10 PM
sounds like im going to just take everything apart... One question.. when you go to put the coolant back in the engine, just reassmeble everything you took apart, then put new coolant in the resevoir? never done this before... just need some pointers

Chard
07-05-2005, 11:27 PM
Yup. When you take stuff apart, be careful. Just opening the drain plug for the coolant isn't going to get all of it out. There will still be some coolant left in the radiator (a lot actually) as well as in the hose where the thermostat is (of you're changing that). I was surprised a couple times with the neverending flow of coolant.

Once you put it all back together, you'll have to let the engine run after adding coolant to get it flowing. The first drive I took turned me back around because the coolant level was too low even though I filled it to max capacity in the tank. After running it for a while, the tank will empty and get stuck in the system which is why you need to add more.