PDA

View Full Version : Fuel Pump / '99 2.8L MT

AnotherMonday
06-07-2013, 10:18 AM
Took my car to the local import repair shop and had them diagnose my no-start issue.

They told me that the fuel pump was the issue, and that it would cost $831 to replace/repair, including the diagnosis.

Do this sound right for a job like this or am I better off repairing myself?

Artiemas
06-07-2013, 02:08 PM
Repair it yourself. Literally everything on your car - do it yourself. You'll save so much money, it's not even funny.

It's not the parts that are going to run you a lot of money (For the most part) it's the labor. Doing a lot of things on these cars does take quite a bit of time.

redline380
06-07-2013, 02:28 PM
you can get a aftermarket pump for $100 and its about a 4 hour job if you've never touched a wrench before. if you're fairly skilled at mechanicing, it could be done in 30 minutes.

you will either need a special tool, or a way around using the special tool to turn the basket. most people just use a wrench and hit the end with a hammer

MooseWhip
06-07-2013, 03:46 PM
I picked up a fuel pump for $120 and took me about an hour to do the job. No special tools, I used a large screw driver and a hammer. Make sure you have replacement clamps because if your fuel pump is factory it will have the crimp clamps on it and you'll end up cutting them off (I resued them but its a pain in the ass to put them back on, much much easier just to put new clamps on)

redline380
06-07-2013, 03:50 PM
(I resued them but its a pain in the ass to put them back on, much much easier just to put new clamps on)

how the hell did you reuse one-time use clamps?

MooseWhip
06-07-2013, 04:43 PM
A guy I work with showed me how, if your careful taking them off you can reuse them. Like i said its a huge pain in the ass but its doable lol You have to be very careful not to deform them (they have to be perfectly round)

Believer
06-08-2013, 10:01 AM
I'm not patient enough for all that lol. I destroy these things when taking them off.. I just bought a monster pack of hose clamps from Harbor Freight lol

MooseWhip
06-08-2013, 10:15 AM
Yea i would prefer to get new clamps too but it was 7pm on a sunday and the shop was closing in an hour and I had the only car at the shop (we have to park at a remote lot and take a shuttle to the dealership) so reuse them I did