PDA

View Full Version : Readiness monitors

auh
06-04-2013, 09:06 PM
Hey guys, I noticed something very interesting the last time I plugged my vagcom into my car. I was checking the CEL to see I still have a misfire on cylinder 3 an decided randomly to click on the readiness check. Everything passed with flying colors, however after I cleared my misfire code I got a failed readiness from catalyst monitoring, evap system, o2 sensor, and o2 sensor heat.

The heat one comes and goes but when I clear a CEL, the first 3 always comes up as a failed or incomplete. I know I put up a post a little while back about my boost jumping and someone replied back that they had that issue and it turned out to be a bad o2 sensor. I'm not pulling any codes for a bad o2 sensor, but could this failing or incomplete o2 sensor mean that really it is bad?

I recently started using a bluetooth obd2 module with my iPhone so I can keep an eye on it, and this is a very consistent error I'm getting.

DenzilJEdwards
06-05-2013, 06:37 AM
Because you cleared code, it resets the readiness. Check the readiness after 50 - 100 miles. it should pass with flying colors.

Questions -
1.is your car chipped? If so what brand and stage do you have?
2. Does you car still have Catalyst converter?

auh
06-05-2013, 06:48 AM
Car is chipped with a speed tuning chip, have the stock cat but was planning on putting on a TP soon.

I just thought maybe I could have bad o2 bc of that video I saw of the o2 sensor cause the boost to bounce between 15-19 psi

auh
06-05-2013, 07:04 AM
Also, why are only some failing and not all of them after I reset my codes?

Poopie
06-05-2013, 09:04 AM
you have to drive the car around so the ecu can set the readiness monitors again. The ECU looks for specific conditions in order to run the tests. Can't just clear the codes and start the car and expect certain ones to pass.

auh
06-05-2013, 09:07 AM
I get it, that's why I'm confused why only 3 are failing and not all of them

1986nate
06-05-2013, 09:09 AM
The first 4 tests, misfire, etc are instant ready unless it detects a problem. The others are all emissions related and require drive cycling to enable them.

auh
06-05-2013, 09:14 AM
Good to know, thanks!

auh
06-05-2013, 01:32 PM
Good to know, thanks!

auh
06-05-2013, 03:04 PM
So I also noticed recently that I'm missing on cylinder 3 and my car kinda smells a little like burning oil and then I'll throw a p1136 code system lean. On Rosstech's website they say that my combo of problems could be a bad pcv. Is that true?