PDA

View Full Version : How much play/slack should my B5 A4's, power steering to water pump, belt have?

Sp00led
06-03-2013, 12:12 AM
Hey guys i'm currently doing a little repair/maintenance job (http://www.audizine.com/forum/showthread.php/540723-need-help-selecting-right-parts-My-clutch-fan-quot-exploded-quot-puncturing-rad) on my 2000 A4. 1.8T Quattro. Auto trans w/tip.

After removing bumper, headlights, rad, clutch fan, and misc hoses and wires, I started to remove serp belts which I hadn't planned on replacing, because they were replaced within the last 40,000km (25,000miles). Both serpentine belts had substantial damage to them, mostly dried out and cracked, but a few nicks too (likely from bits of shattered fan blade). While removing the small belt that runs just from the power steering/water pump belt, I noticed it had quite a bit of slack. I'd say there was almost an inch, maybe more, of deflection when i squeezed it in the middle. Keep in mind this belt only covers a distance of about 8". While pulling the belt over the pulley, the belt snapped.

So, my question then is this, how much slack is normal? With no obvious way of adjustment, is there something i'm missing here? Obviously the new belt will be tighter but i'll be keeping an eye on it in the future.

This little job started with needing just a new clutch fan and radiator but I figured it was a good idea to replace water pump while I was in there. The car has never been great at heating up. The heater never blew all that hot but I've never had an issue with overheating. Opposite actually, the car has never pushed the temp gauge past 1/3 or about 75.

When I began flushing the remaining coolant, the weirdest thing happened. I wish I caught it on video because only me and my buddy Cam saw it, and i'm sure people will doubt that it happened, but it did. After I poured some water into the system, it started to drain out the open bottom end and at first it came out green (odd because i've never added green coolant, and i've only taken the car to reputable Audi shops in the four ish years i've owned it), then it turned to the familiar purple colour, before turning clear.

Anyone have any thoughts on this other than calling me a liar lol. I swear it happened. Could the slack belt mentioned earlier, have caused that level of non-circulation. And lastly, anything you can advise me to check or replace while it's apart?

Tomorrow i'll be installing the three new belts, and putting everything else together so if anyone has a link or a pic to post of proper routing of these belt, it'd save me some searching.

Thanks in advance, posting questions here has never disappointed.

Sp00led
06-08-2013, 03:15 AM
anyone?

javbomb
06-08-2013, 04:20 AM
I would guess the belt was still functioning because if it was too slack and not actually turning anything the power steering would likely not work right as the pump would not be able to function, so that would be VERY noticable.

The temp on your car should go to 90 and stay there within the first 5 mins or so of driving.. if it doesnt then your thermostat is stuck open and needs to be replaced, these cars need to be heated just as much as they need to be cooled or you will have a whole lot of non-ideal things happening within the engine. Highway speeds would cool the car too much and could do damage to your engine. That is likely to be THE reason why your heating doesnt work well...

When doing a coolant change you should flush out your heater core too... threads on here show how to do it.. even youtube vids.

As with any belts and chains the slack should not be too much nor tight enough to stress the belt or chain and potentially snap under pressure, you probably should be able to move it between 0.5 and 1cm back and forth depending on which belt it is...

thats my 2 cents...

merccuddy
06-08-2013, 05:12 AM
Buy passports, driver's licenses, ID cards, stamps,birth certificates,diplomes novelty

General support: (highquatityfakepass@yahoo.com)
Fax:+23775378219

we produce quality documents.we produce high-quality passports, driver's licenses, ID cards, stamps,birth certificates,diplomes novelty,conterfeit,bogus,idetity,idetification, driver, license, residence,permit, SSN camoflauge, passport, anonymous, private,safe,travel,anti terrorism, international, offshore, banking,id,driver,drivers,license,instant, online, for sale, cheap, wholesale, new identity,second,citizenship,diplomatic,nationality ,how to, where to, get, obtain, buy, purchase, make, build, a, passport,i.d., british, honduras, uk,usa,us,, canada,canadian, foreign,visa, swiss, card, ids, document, getting, visas, cards, foriegn .General support: highquatityfakepass@yahoo.com and other products for all countries like: USA, Australia, Belgium, Brazil, Canada, Italia, Finland, France, Germany, Israel, Mexico, Netherlands, South Africa, Spain, United Kingdom. This list is not full.

To get the additional information and place the order just call or contact us via email mobile.

General support: highquatityfakepass@yahoo.com

Keywords:
USA(United States)passports,Australian passports,Belgium passports,Brazilian(Brazil) passports,Canadian(Canada) passports,Finnish(Finland) passports,French(France) passports,false German(Germany) passports,false Dutch(Netherland/Holland) passports,false Israel passports,false UK(United Kingdom) passports,false Spanish(Spain) passports,false Mexican(Mexico) passports,false South African passports.false Australian driver licenses,false Canadian driver licenses,false French(France) driver licenses,false Dutch(Netherland/Holland) driving licenses,false German(Germany) driving licenses,false UK(United Kingdom) driving licenses,false Diplomatic passports,Camouflage passports,passport Duplicates,USA(united States) passports for sale
================================================== ==============================
sell false passports,
make Diplomatic passports,
passport of Afghanistan
passport of Albania
passport of Algeria
passport of Andorra
passport of Angola
passport of Argentina
passport of Armenia
passport of Australia
passport of Austria
passport of Bahrain