PDA

View Full Version : Seriously A4, Why do you hate me so?? Seriously WTF?

zandrew
06-01-2013, 04:29 PM
My car has no love for me. About a 2 weeks ago the clutch took a shit and today I started and was going good. Got the front clip removed and pulled the 4 oil pan bolts (fairly easy I might add, stubby wrench does the job) and basically was down to 2 engine bolts and driveshaft bolts. I really don't know why I waited but after removing the DS I try to break the loose the pass side and the axle turns. WTF? The axle should not be turning, not since the pass side wheel is on a ramp. For it to turn the wheel would have to turn.

Consequently the sound it make sounds just like the throw out bearing gone bad.

So my question is with one axle broke would the car be incapable of driving since it has a locker in the center diff? Or is my symptoms correct for broken a drive shaft?

I will for damn sure update with pictures.

hanzy
06-01-2013, 05:39 PM
If I am interpreting your post correctly the passenger side axle shaft is spinning but the passenger wheel is not?

If the axle is broken the car will not move.

I have had a few instances where the CV shaft was not quite broken, and you could limp the car around.

zandrew
06-01-2013, 06:03 PM
You got it. Funny thing is I found by accident. I assumed since the car has GT2871R and 18psi that the stock clutch with 130xxx miles gave up. Was in the processof pulling the motor and got to talking someone and forgot I did not have to take the CV shafts out. Found it by accident LOL.

It is the outer CV joint.

hanzy
06-01-2013, 06:23 PM
Well sounds like its a good thing in your case.

Although stock clutch with that set up, who knows how long it will hold out for.

zandrew
06-01-2013, 06:45 PM
I am building a 2.0 and am hoping it will last only till then so I can swap everything out at once.

I am surprised it has lasted to be 100% honest.