PDA

View Full Version : Water pump issue in Broomfield

Club Cheetah
05-25-2013, 02:46 PM
Hey guys,

Question. I have an allroad with 130 on the clock and a recent timing belt, clutch and all other maintenance is current. As for the water pump I believe it was replaced with the timing belt as that should be done prophylactic with the timing belt. I went out to the car yesterday to drive to the store and about 10 seconds of driving had the Temp light come on. Turns out I have a leak from the water pump and the res was empty. Up until this point I have had zero issues. No over heating, no lights, no noises. I filled it wit water this morning and took it the 4 blocks to the shop for a coolant flush. They wouldn't do it due to the leak.

What sounds like the issue here? The water pump is bad or the pump is fine but there is a leak? The guys at Tires Plus said it would be about a 2000 dollar job, which is a fucking joke in the first place, so I now have it safe and sound in the drive way. Any thoughts on how to see if the pump is bad or if its just a leak around the pump? And finally, anyone down to lend a hand figuring this shit out? I'm more than happy to supply homebrew and/or smokey treats for a hand.

I'm pretty much free up til 3 tomorrow, all day monday and tuesday.

Mike

drumnjuny
05-25-2013, 03:03 PM
damn dude sorry to hear that. sounds like a leak to me, if the water pump was replaced. you should verify with the last owner if it was.

best way to tell is take off your skid pan, lay down some news paper and park her over it and see where its dripping from. if you don't have any coolant then its probably a leak so that's an easy check. if its out of coolant you should add more (50/50 coolant/distilled mix) until its full and then see if its leaking. you can also try to use stop leak, which i have had success with when i busted a hole in my civic's radiator a few years ago on a road trip.

_Lex_
05-25-2013, 03:14 PM
call me ill help ya out

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk 2

mec
05-26-2013, 10:22 AM
You have a leak, if the water pump stops working you would still have a sealed system, if you are losing coolant then there is a leak somewhere, find it, its unlikely that its in the water pump, I would bet it's a coolant flange or a hose, Pull the skid pan and check.

Heavy Winter
05-26-2013, 06:02 PM
When you pull the pan, have a good flashlight handy, so you can get some light up in there. You'll probably know where to look (approximately) by the old coolant residue on the belly pan.

Good luck

jjvwg
05-26-2013, 08:14 PM
just had this same issue a few weeks ago. came out to my car after work, pulled out of my parking spot and the coolant light came on, reservoir was empty. got under the car to look and i was coming from under the TB cover. it ended up being the water pump. as others have said, you'll need to get in there and do a visual inspection to see where the coolant is leaking.

jjvwg
05-26-2013, 08:20 PM
oh, and that WP, along with all the other TB service stuff was only replaced 20k miles ago.

BeitzDUB
05-27-2013, 07:46 PM
oh, and that WP, along with all the other TB service stuff was only replaced 20k miles ago.

In my experiences the aftermarket water pumps on the 2.8 and 2.7, Graf etc, seem to to only go about 20k before they leak from the weep holes and or the shaft gets loose and or leaks. The OE pumps, straight from Audi, are the way to go.

jjvwg
05-27-2013, 08:49 PM
That one was an oem WP. This time I went with an aftermarket one with a metal impeller, can't remember the manufacturer but its the one europaparts sells, I believe it might be Graf. Mines a 1.8t though.

BeitzDUB
05-28-2013, 08:14 AM
Never had a problem with the Grafs on 1.8. Metal impeller is nice too

Heavy Winter
05-28-2013, 09:41 AM
Did you get a chance to check out your problem a bit more? Get it fixed? Keep us posted as to what the issue was.

Club Cheetah
05-28-2013, 10:55 AM
Done. Sorry for the delay but I was in the freakin garage the last two days. One long morning to get to it and pull it, and another to get it all back together. Did the WP, timing belt and thermostat. I probably missed another part or two like the rollers to replace but they all looked good. The leak was very obviously coming from the shaft of the WP once it was off the car. I think next time I could cut the time in half. Nothing noticeable about the car after the fix but I did do an oil change since I was right there.

Heavy Winter
05-28-2013, 07:53 PM
Damn, I was hoping for your sake that it would just be a loose hose clamp or something simple. But nothing like getting up close and personal with your car!

And yeah, each time you renew the relationship it gets easier and faster.

jjvwg
05-28-2013, 08:19 PM
I think next time I could cut the time in half.

me thinks the same! i also spent a great deal of time doing a thorough coolant flush.

Club Cheetah
05-31-2013, 02:23 PM
I called the shop that did the previous WP and timing belt and they said it was done at 87k. I'm at 134 now so sounds like it was just time.

drumnjuny
05-31-2013, 03:57 PM
did u get a new timing belt as well or throw the original one back on there?

Club Cheetah
06-01-2013, 08:49 PM
New one. 40 bucks was definitely worth it after the labor involved.

drumnjuny
06-02-2013, 05:50 AM
oh definitely. i'm glad you did that it'll keep you good for a lot longer!