PDA

View Full Version : psi concepts td05-18g turbo kit any thoughts and or reviews & pics

jmcwayne808
05-15-2013, 10:01 AM
Thinking of going this route but want to keep the stock airbox , anyone use this kit and got pics , do you like it ? And what tune are you running for it thx for the help

jmcwayne808
05-15-2013, 06:17 PM
No one!

DeathKing
05-16-2013, 10:50 AM
Never heard of it but it doesn't look bad. Why not go with something more traditional though?

jvega21
05-16-2013, 11:00 AM
why dont you try it and let us know.
ive heard of psi concepts, but not their turbos. maybe M-Hood will have more info. theres nothing wrong with trying to go outside of the norm. but youll be on your own for most of it.

zandrew
05-16-2013, 11:41 AM
I know spindoctor is using the 20G kit by them. I am running a GT2871R and my first choice was Billet TD05H 20G since I have had expierence with them. To get a decent comparison what you can do is find dyno for a DSM or Subaru that is running a 18G or 20G and compare it too a dyno of one with similar mods running say GT2860RS or GT2871R. For example if a 20G spools 300 RPM sooner then say GT3071R at the same psi and if you know a GT3071R spools to the same psi at 4,000 RPM on our AEB then it would be a safe assumption the 20G would spool to the same psi at 3700 RPM.

I have done this before and it is fairly accurate and typically within +/- 100 RPM as long as you use comparable dyno's setups.

As far as quality of the kit is concerned I don't know. I can tell you that if you go with it and you are unhappy you can swap the TD05 for a Garrett turbo since the flanges are the same.

I pieced my setup together and my total cost was less then $2500 with the majority of that going into Maestro and the turbo. I bought mostly used parts though.

jmcwayne808
05-16-2013, 11:55 AM
Figure it be a cheaper rebuildable option , but can only realy find people running the manifold and not the turbo

zandrew
05-16-2013, 12:09 PM
Against popular belief Garrett Ball Bearing turbos ARE rebuildable but not for your DIY type (the ball bearing cartridge is pressed onto the turbine shaft). In honesty neither is TD05H turbos since it is imperative they are properly balanced when serviced but this is something that can be sourced for fairly cheap. You also need very accurate tools to measure the inside and outside tolerances to be able to properly rebuild a unit.

What are your actual goals and what it is specifically you are trying to achieve overall? If you give us a bit more detail there may be better options that are cheaper that will suit you just fine.

jmcwayne808
05-16-2013, 01:38 PM
Was trying to get a 300awhp daily driver but still have the option to go bigger if I want later down the line, new to the turbo thing last three cars where 86 corollas , any advice and recommendations greatly appreciated

zandrew
05-16-2013, 02:00 PM
Thats crazy, my last car was 86 AE86 as well. In all honesty I DON"T miss it but do miss my AW11. Having already gone through this and had to do it again I would keep it simply and go GT2871R Eliminator kit. Everything is bolt in and makes doing this setup a breeze. It also will get you the 300awhp which would prevent you from opening the motor up as long as the internals were in good shape.

All you would have left is to buy an inlet pipe, injectors, and a tune. I would suggest a intercooler upgrade as well as a test pipe with exhaust.

If you are wanting something that can be upgraded later to something bigger then you will hav to go with turbo manifold and match it up to whatever turbo you are interested in. There are some larger Elim kits but I think the GT2871R is the maxxing out the stock turbo manifold and the design of the Elim housing.

Here is the Elim:

http://www.ringer-racing.com/product.sc?productId=66

I think they also offer this with a fueling package.

jmcwayne808
05-16-2013, 05:48 PM
Got a 034 bt tip , 2.5 custom exhaust, forge dv and 3"maf , planning on goin motoza tune with 550cc injectors , so all I would need is the turbo? Was leaning towards the 71r elim but the psi concepts kit seems like there is more area for improvement due to it being t25 flanged

zandrew
05-16-2013, 07:22 PM
Yeah that is all you would need. Your right that the PSI would allow for better upgrades and the traditional turbo manifold and standard turbo setup does seem to yield better results then GT Elim kits. If I were you I would really figure out exactly what you want and then start looking for a turbo that fits it best. If you want 300AWHP but later want to upgrade it might be best to find something a lil bigger now and sacrifice a bit of spool. I have the GT2871R and after a week of driving it I wanted more as the spool loss is minute for me.

I am using a ATP turbo manifold knock off and have no issues. If you keep an eye out you can buy good used turbo manifolds and Down pipes for significantly less then new. If you stay patient you can also buy turbos where members have changed their minds. I currently have a brand new Comp 5552 oil less for sale that is T25 flanged. It would eliminate the need for oil feed and drain and you would need coolant setup but they cost less then $40. I snagged it for less then half the cost of new. I also bought my GT3076R for less then half new. If you buy a used turbo though you best use it before the paypal coverage runs out to make sure you get what you paid for.

I just saw the other day someone selling a psi manifold and downpipe for a damn good deal and can't find it now.

If you think you will be upgrading later on then maybe the Elim is not the best idea.

Detroitfire23
05-17-2013, 03:44 PM
I think upgrading the exhaust manifold with the bigger turbos is a good idea. The better flow will spool the larger turbo much quicker than the stock.

I also agree with Zandrew & keep a lookout for good used parts, that's what I did.

M-Hood
05-17-2013, 04:27 PM
Got a 034 bt tip , 2.5 custom exhaust, forge dv and 3"maf , planning on goin motoza tune with 550cc injectors , so all I would need is the turbo? Was leaning towards the 71r elim but the psi concepts kit seems like there is more area for improvement due to it being t25 flanged

The PSI manifold is nice but just doesn't flow that great for anything larger then a 2871r. This is why most people that have tried running it with something larger ended not making the power up top and ended up selling it for a better flowing manifold. This is why you will see PSI manifolds pop up often in the classifieds.

jmcwayne808
05-17-2013, 05:06 PM
Do you think it would flow enough to possibly hit 350awhp when I upgrade tye rods or should I just be looking for a different manifold to begin with

zandrew
05-17-2013, 05:16 PM
I have a godspeed knock off which is identical to the ATP and it seems to be pretty good. I know some people complain about them warping but not a single issue yet. There is 2 different knock offs of these. One is poor quality and looks black on the outside. These I would avoid. Then there is the Godspeed and others sell it as well and its quality is better. It has a finish on the outside that looks just like the ATP except does not have ATP marked on it.

You can buy this turbo manifold for a bit over $100 shipped.

M-Hood
05-18-2013, 06:14 AM
Do you think it would flow enough to possibly hit 350awhp when I upgrade tye rods or should I just be looking for a different manifold to begin with

You might want to see what type of power people were making with the PSI manifold before they switched. There are many options for manifolds.

jmcwayne808
05-18-2013, 11:39 AM
Thats the thing people claim 350 on elim setups which leads me to believe I should be able to get at least 400 on the psi manifold, tryna get stock turbo placement hopefully keep stock airbox while im at it

jvega21
05-18-2013, 11:46 AM
Ct2 in an elim housing. Factory placement, flows like an elim, without the price tag

A1 A2 German
05-19-2013, 12:02 AM
Why so stuck on keeing the stock airbox? Afraid of raising eye brows for emissions?

jvega21
05-19-2013, 01:37 AM
Probably. Not everyone can enjoy the relaxed emissions laws like we can in AZ. Thinking about adding a gun rack to my b5, just because I can ��

jmcwayne808
05-19-2013, 11:46 AM
Just tryna keep it as simple as possible, without major modifications, dint plan on getting super crazy with power 300hp now till I do rods then maybe 350 375 after looking for a bt thats got more low and mid range power because in hawaii get plenty twisty downhill uphill roads and dont plan on this thing being a drag strip queen

zandrew
05-19-2013, 02:16 PM
Everyone that is looking for 350-400awhp wants the best low and mid range possible but it is a sacrifice. With stock displacement and GT2871R your going be limited to around 300awhp unless you want to run race gas or E85. I live in a mountainous region and the lag is very tolerable and frankly I am willing to sacrifice even more for more power. A GT3071R can get you your goals but at a loss of spool. To get what your after you should look at the Forced performance upgrades (which run $700 plus the cost of the turbo) or the new Borg Warner EFR but those are next too impossible to find. Even once you do find them the price is going to hurt your feelings and most likely leave you sacrificing for something slightly different.

It is typical to see members saying they don't want to sacrifice spool but with turbos up to around the GT3071R and even the GT3076R-WG the difference is noticeable but the trade off for improved driving dynamic is well worth it in a daily. I had a AWE K04 kit and went to the GT2871R and was terrified at the loss of spool and now I realize how silly I was being. You do have change your driving style and let the car pull more RPM's but it soooo worth it. You don't want to be like me and overthink the situation and then kick yourself in the ass over buying something too small.

M-Hood
05-20-2013, 09:39 AM
Thats the thing people claim 350 on elim setups which leads me to believe I should be able to get at least 400 on the psi manifold, tryna get stock turbo placement hopefully keep stock airbox while im at it

Just make sure you are running a set of aftermarket cams if you want to hit 400whp.

Here is a thread started by Jeff (owner of PSI Concepts) with dyno sheets. (http://www.audizine.com/forum/showthread.php/381124-PSi-Concepts-GT3071R-Kit-Dyno-Results-%28Race-and-91-Meth%29)

I haven't seen any customers posting dyno's making over 400whp.

jmcwayne808
05-20-2013, 10:13 AM
Thx for the link

jmcwayne808
05-20-2013, 11:54 AM
Just gonna go ahead and try this kit with motoza tunning within the next 2 months ill let you guys know how it goes

zandrew
05-20-2013, 01:34 PM
I would splooge for the 20G turbo. The trade off in spool is minute ofr best efficiency and ultimately better flow. I would do a billet compressor upgrade as well since Mitsu made some extremely beefy center hubs and you can gain spool and flow by doing this upgrade.

If you look at 4G63T Dyno or even EJ20 EJ25 you will notice the TD05H spool very similiar to Garrett GT28 units and a lot of tims out perform them. Your going to be limited to around 300awhp still.

jmcwayne808
05-20-2013, 02:53 PM
Thanks been reading up on the threads that m hood linked me to and it was filled with good results from a couple b6 guys , jeffs car maxed out his manifold at about 400hp so I think this kit would be good to start me off and if I decide to upgrade I can go a little bigger turbo or just the same setup that mike hood linked and I would be more than happy, thx too everyone that posted on t Hu is thread it was a big help

spindoctor
05-21-2013, 06:52 AM
Thanks been reading up on the threads that m hood linked me to and it was filled with good results from a couple b6 guys , jeffs car maxed out his manifold at about 400hp so I think this kit would be good to start me off and if I decide to upgrade I can go a little bigger turbo or just the same setup that mike hood linked and I would be more than happy, thx too everyone that posted on t Hu is thread it was a big help

I am running psi concept's 520 kit ie a TD05H 20G. Only difference between my turbo kit and the rest out there is I replaced my compressor housing with a 3inch inlet.

http://i647.photobucket.com/albums/uu199/revhead19/null-5.jpg

The 20G is a little bit old school but they perform pretty well. My setup is not complete yet but in a couple of months, it be seeing its true potential.

I will be replacing the compressor wheel with a 7 blade billet extended tip similar to what I found on the dsm forums. Some guys there are pushing 379whp but that's on a 4G63 and iirc a TD06H hotside. So realistically it should do around 330whp.

http://i647.photobucket.com/albums/uu199/revhead19/null-4.png

I'll set up a thread when everything is up and running properly.

Cheers

Danny

Ps: *touch wood*. Never ever had issues with exhaust leaks, bolts/studs winding itself out. I'm using SS cone type lock nut.

Seerlah
05-21-2013, 06:56 AM
The issue with the psi stud kit was when they were first released. Psi then switched stud kits after a few complaints and since then the issue has been fixed. I too had the booty early ones.

spindoctor
05-21-2013, 07:02 AM
The issue with the psi stud kit was when they were first released. Psi then switched stud kits after a few complaints and since then the issue has been fixed. I too had the booty early ones.

I never used them lol. My kit was a "beta" tester kit so it's gotta be the early ones too. Heck my compressor housing's tag was attached with a melt glue :p

Anyway, fastener shop gave me "trick" grub screws for the turbo flange and they work like a charm. I didn't believe them and was hesitant but they told me to "just use it", if it doesn't work, come back to me and I'll get you hardcore ones free. Been daily driving it for a year, again *touchwood* no issues.

WTFISAKSERIES
06-03-2014, 04:53 PM
I am going to with the 518 20g kit from psi concepts ill let you know the out come!!