PDA

View Full Version : BT owners, how long did it take you too want more....

zandrew
05-01-2013, 03:31 PM
I have been driving my GT2871R swapped stock motor for a total of 10 days. I really feel the GT2871R is a nice match to the stock 1.8 without too much of a loss of drivability. HOWEVER I am already itching for more.

How long did it take anyone that has upgraded to want more after their initial upgrade? What is your setup? How much more did you go with and are you happy now?

I had a custom turbo'd AE86 that made a whopping 220rwhp and I was always more then satisified with it so this is weird especially when you consider that I have not had my current setup past 5500 or 20psi (scared the motor is going to grenade). I also have the stock clutch so I have to get into it with part throttle. I am currently seeing 10psi by 3K in 3rd which seems to be pretty good.

demonmk2
05-01-2013, 03:36 PM
a month

Seerlah
05-01-2013, 03:36 PM
Build your engine and custom tune it, then itch for more. I personally am contempt with my setup (basically same as yours) for a dd, but I def yearn for more power. And I am going to take the same advice I just gave you. After I install my FMIC going to get custom tuned for like 28-30psi on straight 93. After that, then I will purchase a different turbo after enjoying that for a bit. You have yet to even come close to the capabilities of that turbo (300+whp on pump). Give it time and let things fall into place first.

Also, you can just post things like this in one of the many threads you have created lately. Just saying [cool]

b6Hate4
05-01-2013, 04:15 PM
Im already itching for a bigger setup. I see a 5857 in my future.

Lol, forgot to add, had my gt2871r for a month.

zandrew
05-01-2013, 05:02 PM
Seerlah I actually tried that (posting things in the same thread). It seems if I change topic members move on. This is a curiousity thing more then question of significance. I know I am no where near this snails limits. I am in high hopes that the 5552 (or the G3076) will spool like the GT2871R on a 2.0. Just picked up my long block and I am going to tear into this coming week with the hopes I have it back together soon. I know I can't crank the boost up too max right now with the stock block but at 20psi this things pulls very nice, VERY NICE. I can't wait too feel the difference the 2.0 makes.

I am really wondering what type of hp it takes others to say "OK, this is just right" for a daily setup.

melomandn
05-01-2013, 05:04 PM
Its a never ending cycle, you'll never have enough.

After I install my FMIC going to get custom tuned for like 28-30psi on straight 93.

Also, you can just post things like this in one of the many threads you have created lately. Just saying [cool]

I'm interested to see how that works out for you. When we were tuning my car on straight 93 we couldnt get past 25psi without the ECU starting to pull timing. Now I'm looking into meth or bigger injectors/fuel pump for e85.

And I agree, one thread would be muchhhhhh better

BlackLock_A4
05-01-2013, 05:10 PM
This thread makes me not want to upgrade... As i'm in college, tight on money and already have a few money-sucking hobbies. lol

catbed
05-01-2013, 05:10 PM
I seem to be the odd man out here. I have had my 60 trim for 2 years now, and all I want is less lag. Not necessarily more power, just less lag. Too much power on the street just gets you into trouble.

Seerlah
05-01-2013, 05:16 PM
Its a never ending cycle, you'll never have enough.

I'm interested to see how that works out for you. When we were tuning my car on straight 93 we couldnt get past 25psi without the ECU starting to pull timing. Now I'm looking into meth or bigger injectors/fuel pump for e85.

And I agree, one thread would be muchhhhhh better

flynnr had his standalone tuned to 28psi on the gt2871R on straight pump, so it is def doable. And the person who said he was going to tune my car for me (forum member) will also push it as far as he can. But I need my hardware updated and the Suite upgrade before any of it can happen. Just a money factor at this point.

Used laptop mini: maybe $100 on ebay (I'll probably pick this up this week to get it out of the way)
Upgrade to Suite: assuming like $300
FMIC install: $700

Only things holding me back. Being a student and broke is not cool.

flynnr's car: stock displacement, built head, 8.5:1 CR (my ECU won't really like my 9.5:1 AEB pistons), standard GT2871R. but as Mike Hood would say, it isn't about the boost. It's about the timing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kAh2eG-smak

I seem to be the odd man out here. I have had my 60 trim for 2 years now, and all I want is less lag. Not necessarily more power, just less lag. Too much power on the street just gets you into trouble.

Already sent Mike Hood an inquiry about my next turbo upgrade. Looking for similar spool as my current turbo and would be more than content with my car at roughly 375whp.

JYuen
05-01-2013, 05:17 PM
(QUOTE=catbed;8698682]I seem to be the odd man out here. I have had my 60 trim for 2 years now, and all I want is less lag. Not necessarily more power, just less lag. Too much power on the street just gets you into trouble.[/QUOTE]

I want less lag too.. Im running a 50 trim though (lol). I miss the instant torque of a k03, driving around town out of boost is a pita..

zandrew
05-01-2013, 05:32 PM
Seerlah- I bought a used Evo intercooler for $100 shipped and my piping on eBay for less then $100. The piping came with an assortment of T bolt clamps and silicone couplers. From what I have found it should be good for 400awhp.

DON'T get a mini for the suite!!! The graphs on my 15" laptop are crammed and the increments overlap too the point where it is hard to decipher exactly where it is at.

Catbed & Jyuen- I am assuming you are referring to T3T4 turbos. Try to figure out what trim the turbines are. Most are stage 3 with 50 and 60 trims. If so a stage 2 will do you a lot better on spool with minimal loss of overall potential. You can gain over 500RPM of spool.

catbed
05-01-2013, 06:05 PM
flynnr's car: stock displacement, built head, 8.5:1 CR (my ECU won't really like my 9.5:1 AEB pistons), standard GT2871R. but as Mike Hood would say, it isn't about the boost. It's about the timing.

Already sent Mike Hood an inquiry about my next turbo upgrade. Looking for similar spool as my current turbo and would be more than content with my car at roughly 375whp.

I agree whole-heartedly. And flynnr's car sounds GREAT

Also, who is tuning your car? I say ditch the Maestro and go Nefmoto route. Money in your pocket by selling Maestro for hardware upgrades, and you won't have to ask Tapp to add maps if you need them. The are some pretty brilliant minds on the nefmoto forums too, in case you get stuck.

I want less lag too.. Im running a 50 trim though (lol). I miss the instant torque of a k03, driving around town out of boost is a pita..

Catbed & Jyuen- I am assuming you are referring to T3T4 turbos. Try to figure out what trim the turbines are. Most are stage 3 with 50 and 60 trims. If so a stage 2 will do you a lot better on spool with minimal loss of overall potential. You can gain over 500RPM of spool.

I am done with this ancient 60trim technology. Next turbo(hopefully after I graduate and get a job this summer) is going to be a Comp TBB of some sort. Most likely a 5857.[drive]

flynnr
05-01-2013, 06:22 PM
That video was at 23psi on 91octane BTW. The car is a hell of a lot faster now.

Seerlah
05-01-2013, 06:38 PM
Your retune was for 28psi on 93? And did you get a retune from that for the HTA yet?

flynnr
05-01-2013, 07:43 PM
Your retune was for 28psi on 93? And did you get a retune from that for the HTA yet?

I was originally at 23ish psi then I went to nearly 30 (27-30) then I blew my turbo (my air filter cracked and sent a nut through the turbo) and then i got my HTA and then my manifold cracked slightly and then I got a retune on my HTA (with the manifold cracked partially) and then I got a new manifold and now I am waiting on my re tune. (running rich because my last tune was with the cracked mani)

c0r3y.af
05-02-2013, 06:26 AM

I'm running a 3071r right now and I'd like something that will spool a little quicker but not necessarily more power. I don't really see the point in having all of your power up high unless you drag. Maybe I'll upgrade in the future.

andyrew
05-02-2013, 06:49 AM
I've always been a fan of getting a big turbo and driving for as long as you can on the lowest boost setting... Then slowly just upping the boost.

I went from stock for a year to APR stage 3, maxed it out and ran it for about 2 years, then CTB5356 which I've been running on the wastegate for about a year (About the same power as the stage 3, A lot less low end though due to spool characteristics). I've been itching to get the ECU tuned for more boost and put rods in for a looong time... I will probably start out at 15psi, then run 20, then slowly but surely bump it till Im running C16 on 35psi (At this point I doubt it will see much street use... except to scare the piss out of the local guys)

Keep in mind all these were contingent on turbo failures. I dont see myself needing more than the CT unless the car is a straight drag car.

M-Hood
05-02-2013, 07:21 AM
I have been driving my GT2871R swapped stock motor for a total of 10 days. I really feel the GT2871R is a nice match to the stock 1.8 without too much of a loss of drivability. HOWEVER I am already itching for more.

How long did it take anyone that has upgraded to want more after their initial upgrade? What is your setup? How much more did you go with and are you happy now?

I had a custom turbo'd AE86 that made a whopping 220rwhp and I was always more then satisified with it so this is weird especially when you consider that I have not had my current setup past 5500 or 20psi (scared the motor is going to grenade). I also have the stock clutch so I have to get into it with part throttle. I am currently seeing 10psi by 3K in 3rd which seems to be pretty good.

Doesn't take long to want more power but just pushing the turbo harder is the way to get more power. Too many people want to jump to a larger turbo before even coming close to making everything they can out of the turbo they already have.

For you there are options of just having the compressor wheel upgraded to make more power without causing it to spool up later then it already does.

andyrew
05-02-2013, 05:28 PM
We'll see if I even need that. I havent even had a good tune or ran more than 12psi on it. (Wasnt enough fuel, so I went back to 10psi)

At some point my engine will be back in and we'll see what this turbo is capable of. Till then I need to find a cheap tuning solution ($800 is not cheap).

rvca3112
05-02-2013, 05:40 PM
Running a gt3071r eliminator kit. 23 psi. I want more, it's been two weeks.

GOODBYNAAIR
05-02-2013, 07:17 PM
So what your telling me as I site at my desk looking at my GTRS and box of parts, that after install waiting all this time getting parts and clutch blah blah I will be unhappy after 2-3 weeks [=(]. I guess ill see if the power bug gets the best of me and my wallet lol. I know GTRS not that much power but got a deal I could not pass up, was planing for 2871r. whatever saved some money for other mods[:D] Coil overs

Seerlah
05-02-2013, 07:21 PM
Revo 550cc tune on the GTRS can get you 300whp. B6 guys prove it daily.

GOODBYNAAIR
05-02-2013, 07:32 PM
Revo 550cc tune on the GTRS can get you 300whp. B6 guys prove it daily.

Yes I have been reading up on it and that's my goal with this turbo and set up to make about 300whp looked into revo. Thinking about mestro or the new kid in town motoza heard he was doing BT remote tunes (emails) . still searching all options, Revo is solid all around if I cant make up my mind.

Thanks seerlah you always have good info

andyrew
05-02-2013, 10:04 PM
Where do you do most of your driving? Highway or city? A GTRS is one hell of a city turbo or autox turbo.

When I used to autox very regularly there were few cars that could pull out of a corner as hard as mine could. I mean VERY few.

ZimbutheMonkey
05-03-2013, 12:43 AM
I dunno, I've gone through 6 turbo setups and lord knows how many mods and I'm getting pretty close to the limit. I'd say a 5556 is probably the most of what I'm willing to live with in terms of lag vs power.

Seerlah
05-03-2013, 03:17 AM
Yes I have been reading up on it and that's my goal with this turbo and set up to make about 300whp looked into revo. Thinking about mestro or the new kid in town motoza heard he was doing BT remote tunes (emails) . still searching all options, Revo is solid all around if I cant make up my mind.

Thanks seerlah you always have good info

If you run with a 550cc tune, I keep reading great things about the Bosch EV14 550cc injectors.

zandrew
05-03-2013, 06:00 AM
I was actually surprised at how well the GT2871R spools for me. It has a small flat spot at low RPM's but at WOT I a seeing 10psi by 3K in 3rd. On the interstate it is perfect since the RPM is right dab smack where the boost comes on nice and hard. From knowing how the GT3071R reacts compared to the GT2871R I would assume the 3071 would be a nice mate for the 2.0 that is about to fall out my sleeve plus it will knock down the 400awhp I am itching for.

Goodbynaair- The GTRS is a stout turbo. There is the option to upgrade from it too a GT2871R so you are not stuck with buying a brand new turbo. The GT28RS actually has a smaller turbine then the GT2871R so it should help with spool.

The other thing is that ging from my AWE K04 kit too the GT2871R I figured I would lose significant mpg. Not only is it considerably better then I imagined but it is also better then what I was getting with the AWE K04. I am also running mid grade 89 instead of 93. I am now doing 26.5mpg compared to 24.0 mpg. It makes sense I am not in boost as much during cruising.

.Mad Hatter.
05-03-2013, 07:11 AM
I have had my 2871 elim for 2 years, and while I certainly would like more I find that this is a very underrated setup. It's as turn key as they come, you have a few tune/fueling options, and really, what the heck are you going to do with another 100whp? I certainly will upgrade in the future, but the setup is more than capable and for the most part is headache free. (I always browse the build forum and most of those cars sit more than they run!)

M-Hood
05-03-2013, 07:12 AM
I was actually surprised at how well the GT2871R spools for me. It has a small flat spot at low RPM's but at WOT I a seeing 10psi by 3K in 3rd. On the interstate it is perfect since the RPM is right dab smack where the boost comes on nice and hard. From knowing how the GT3071R reacts compared to the GT2871R I would assume the 3071 would be a nice mate for the 2.0 that is about to fall out my sleeve plus it will knock down the 400awhp I am itching for.

Goodbynaair- The GTRS is a stout turbo. There is the option to upgrade from it too a GT2871R so you are not stuck with buying a brand new turbo. The GT28RS actually has a smaller turbine then the GT2871R so it should help with spool.

The other thing is that ging from my AWE K04 kit too the GT2871R I figured I would lose significant mpg. Not only is it considerably better then I imagined but it is also better then what I was getting with the AWE K04. I am also running mid grade 89 instead of 93. I am now doing 26.5mpg compared to 24.0 mpg. It makes sense I am not in boost as much during cruising.

How does a 2860RS have a smaller turbine wheel then the 2871r? Both of those have a 53.9mm inducer 76 trim turbine wheel, the difference is on the compressor wheel.

GOODBYNAAIR
05-03-2013, 02:37 PM
Where do you do most of your driving? Highway or city? A GTRS is one hell of a city turbo or autox turbo.

When I used to autox very regularly there were few cars that could pull out of a corner as hard as mine could. I mean VERY few.

I do a mix of highway and city driving. I know I will be doing AutoX days and would like to see the track too but not as much. From what I have read the gtrs and 2871r and other turbos similar insize seem to be the happy place for power and spool time on the 1.8t.

If you run with a 550cc tune, I keep reading great things about the Bosch EV14 550cc injectors.

YesI have heard good things about them too, but... Any want to buy 4 new siemens 630cc injectors lol

zandrew
05-03-2013, 06:25 PM
How does a 2860RS have a smaller turbine wheel then the 2871r? Both of those have a 53.9mm inducer 76 trim turbine wheel, the difference is on the compressor wheel.

Mike there is 2 different GT28 turbines. There is the 76 trim and 62 trim. If you consider the HKS nomencalture they also consider the mid sized GT30 turbines to be GT28's as well. There are 2 mid sized GT30's. The 84 and 90 trim with 56.5mm inducers. The Full sized GT3076R uses 60mm inducer.

The S in GT2860RS stands for the compressor which is "special" Honestly its Horseshit. Its nothing more then an old Super 60 trim from the old T3 turbos.

Anyway I had my head in my ass. The GT2860RS does have the same turbine. I was thinking about Forced performance T28 and Big T28 which use the same turbine head welded to a journal bearing shaft. They used GT2860RS compressors with the smaller 62 trim turbine.

I have been wondering how the mid size GT3076 spools in comparison to the GT2876 and the full size GT3076. There is pretty significant size difference amongst them. GT28 inducer 53.9 Mid size GT30 56.5mm and full size GT30 60mm

ZimbutheMonkey
05-03-2013, 10:16 PM
I have been wondering how the mid size GT3076 spools in comparison to the GT2876 and the full size GT3076. There is pretty significant size difference amongst them. GT28 inducer 53.9 Mid size GT30 56.5mm and full size GT30 60mm

There was a guy here running a 2876 and he said it lagged badly. My guess is that despite having a smaller OD and less intertia to overcome vs a 3076 turbine, the 2876 turbine simply can't produce the torque necessary to move that mismatched 76mm compressor (if that makes any sense).

Seerlah
05-04-2013, 05:24 AM
The GT2876R was a bad combo for our 1.8t engines. Can't recall the exact powerband characteristics, but it is not a good mix for the 1.8T.

.Mad Hatter.
05-04-2013, 05:45 AM
If you have a full frame 2871 the HTA 2868 might not be a bad upgrade.

zandrew
05-04-2013, 06:47 AM
I don't know anyone that has expierenced other similiar sized turbos that actually will recommend the GT2876R. Even the 2.0 and 2.2 guys dislike it from other communities I have been part of.

The turbo I am referring to is considered a GT3076R though. It is specific to the waste gated versions of the GT3071R and GT3076R. It falls right between the GT28 and GT30. For whatever reason HKS considers them to be GT28 though. I have a wastegated version GT3076R.

I know people swear by the HTA stuff but too me its not worth the extra cost to get an upgraded version of a Garrett turbo. The HTA 2868 costs $1800 and flows 47 lb min. The GT3071R cost $1300 and flows 53 lb min. I also know some people that have had very bad expierence with FP. Specifically their Subie products.

.Mad Hatter.
05-04-2013, 06:48 AM
What about the GTX turbos?

M-Hood
05-04-2013, 07:27 AM
Mike there is 2 different GT28 turbines. There is the 76 trim and 62 trim. If you consider the HKS nomencalture they also consider the mid sized GT30 turbines to be GT28's as well. There are 2 mid sized GT30's. The 84 and 90 trim with 56.5mm inducers. The Full sized GT3076R uses 60mm inducer.

Yes but it is the smaller 28"R" series turbos that have the 62 trim turbine wheel, so not really in the same class as the 28RS and 71R which have the 76 trim exhaust wheel. I was comparing apples to apples not just comparing all of the 28 line up. If you would have said that a 28R would spool up faster then a 28rs or 2871r then I would have agreed with you. lol

I don't know anyone that has expierenced other similiar sized turbos that actually will recommend the GT2876R. Even the 2.0 and 2.2 guys dislike it from other communities I have been part of.

The turbo I am referring to is considered a GT3076R though. It is specific to the waste gated versions of the GT3071R and GT3076R. It falls right between the GT28 and GT30. For whatever reason HKS considers them to be GT28 though. I have a wastegated version GT3076R.

I know people swear by the HTA stuff but too me its not worth the extra cost to get an upgraded version of a Garrett turbo. The HTA 2868 costs $1800 and flows 47 lb min. The GT3071R cost $1300 and flows 53 lb min. I also know some people that have had very bad expierence with FP. Specifically their Subie products.

But if you already have a 2860rs or 2871r you can just have it upgraded with a HTA68 or HTA71 compressor wheel for $700. The HTA71 is rated at 51 lb min. A brand new HTA2868/HTA2871/HTA2873 list for $1999. The HTA73 wheel is rated at 54 lb. If you want to stick with a Garrett CHRA setup you might want to consider getting a 30-WG turbo which has the 52mm/56.5mm 84 trim turbine wheel and have it upgraded with a HTA71 or HTA73 compressor wheel. This will give you 3076 power but with a much quicker spool up. Other option would just be to go with a Comp turbo that has a 52mm exhaust wheel and match it with the exact size compressor wheel you would want to run. Great thing is Comp can do compressor wheels with a exducer in 67mm, 71mm or 76mm. At this time I have a CT2-4747 in my hands that actually was done with a 76mm exducer, usually that will is done with a 71mm exducer.

What about the GTX turbos?

That design does not help give a quicker spool up since the full 11 blade design is used to help move more air while the turbo is already at full boost.

.Mad Hatter.
05-04-2013, 07:47 AM
Oh really? Interesting. So a GTX3071 wouldn't spool faster than a GT3071? I guess the idea is that it spools faster than a 3076 but produces similar power up top?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Seerlah
05-04-2013, 10:15 AM
The idea was the gtx would spool the same but give more power. For example the gtx3071r would spool like a gt3071r but produce power like a gt3076r. Dmaxn is running this turbo but he rarely posts. The gtx are supposed to be engineered to run high amounts of boost. For example, track cars that run 30 psi as a bare minimum.

M-Hood
05-04-2013, 04:41 PM
Oh really? Interesting. So a GTX3071 wouldn't spool faster than a GT3071? I guess the idea is that it spools faster than a 3076 but produces similar power up top?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Correct. The GTX3071r is rated at 56 lb while the GT3076r is rated at 52 lb. Now if you look at the HTA and CTcompressor wheels they are 14 blades(7 and 7).

zandrew
05-04-2013, 06:25 PM
The problem with the GTX series is even though it is a GTX3071 that flows like a G3076R it also has lag like GT3076.

Mike Hood- I actually already have GT3076R WG but it is the bigger 90 trim and .86AR (the AR can be fixed). I am thinking of getting it down graded to 71 something since I know the GT3071R will do what I need it too.

My 5552 which I think is the best option has 62mm inducer and 52mm exducer on the turbine. This is kind of weird sizing compared to the GT30 since the full size use 60mm inducer. I would love to see one dyno of someone using a Comp turbo with the 52 turbine so I could atleast get a comparison from someone.

Also Mike what would Comp charge to upgrade my GT3076R to one of there billet compressors? Oh and I was listing the quagmire of different GT28 turbines to explain how I got it mixxed up.

Seerlah
05-04-2013, 07:23 PM
I would have Forced Performance do the upgrade for $700.

spindoctor
05-05-2013, 12:53 AM
Also Mike what would Comp charge to upgrade my GT3076R to one of there billet compressors?

No go with that unfortunately..i was chatting with mike about that a week or two ago. I think Comp would be a great competitor to FP if they do that.

M-Hood
05-05-2013, 07:12 AM
The problem with the GTX series is even though it is a GTX3071 that flows like a G3076R it also has lag like GT3076.

Mike Hood- I actually already have GT3076R WG but it is the bigger 90 trim and .86AR (the AR can be fixed). I am thinking of getting it down graded to 71 something since I know the GT3071R will do what I need it too.

My 5552 which I think is the best option has 62mm inducer and 52mm exducer on the turbine. This is kind of weird sizing compared to the GT30 since the full size use 60mm inducer. I would love to see one dyno of someone using a Comp turbo with the 52 turbine so I could atleast get a comparison from someone.

Also Mike what would Comp charge to upgrade my GT3076R to one of there billet compressors? Oh and I was listing the quagmire of different GT28 turbines to explain how I got it mixxed up.

If you down grade it to a HTA71 wheel then that would really help with the spool up. But why not just sell the 90 trim and try to find a used the smaller trim 3076r or a 3071r?

Comp does not offer a billet wheel upgrade for the Garrett GT turbos since the GT's uses a smaller shaft then any of their turbos. They do offer wheel upgrades for the Garrett JB line of turbos. I tried to get them to upgrade a GT2871r some time ago but they couldn't do it so the turbo ended up going to FP for the HTA71 wheel upgrade.

What brand is the 5552 you have?

zandrew
05-05-2013, 02:24 PM
I agree on selling the GT3076R as it really is not what I am looking for. It was supposed to be a GT3071R but the seller had no idea. I got a good deal on it though.

I am surprised Comp does not do compressor upgrades. I know the GT25-GT30 uses the 6mm shaft (.236") but the GT35 uses the .250" shafts. It would not be very hard to change the compressor design to accomadte the smaller shaft. They also have a smaller hub length but these are billet compressor so that should not be much of an issue either.

The 5552 is the comp I got which was supposed to be 5558. I think the 52 is better size for what I trying to do over the 56 or 58. I plan on trying it but I dislike the larger .86 hotside. I talked to you awhile back and you stated that Comp can machine a housing I have to work. I have both a .48 and .62. I think the .48 is to small and would choke the the flow but the .64 should be ideal.

I am going with 83mm pistons and the 92.8mm crank. Goal is too keep the RPM's under 8k and make 400awhp. I want the best drivability possible.

What makes me reluctant on the 5552 is I have not seen a dyno anywhere with that turbine combination. If I could then I would feel a lot better about it though I honestly think it should be pretty close to spot. I am in a weird postion as if I try it and do not like it will lose a considerably amount of value. The other turbo I like is GT3071R. Weigh in Mike.

M-Hood
05-05-2013, 09:24 PM
I agree on selling the GT3076R as it really is not what I am looking for. It was supposed to be a GT3071R but the seller had no idea. I got a good deal on it though.

I am surprised Comp does not do compressor upgrades. I know the GT25-GT30 uses the 6mm shaft (.236") but the GT35 uses the .250" shafts. It would not be very hard to change the compressor design to accomadte the smaller shaft. They also have a smaller hub length but these are billet compressor so that should not be much of an issue either.

The 5552 is the comp I got which was supposed to be 5558. I think the 52 is better size for what I trying to do over the 56 or 58. I plan on trying it but I dislike the larger .86 hotside. I talked to you awhile back and you stated that Comp can machine a housing I have to work. I have both a .48 and .62. I think the .48 is to small and would choke the the flow but the .64 should be ideal.

I am going with 83mm pistons and the 92.8mm crank. Goal is too keep the RPM's under 8k and make 400awhp. I want the best drivability possible.

What makes me reluctant on the 5552 is I have not seen a dyno anywhere with that turbine combination. If I could then I would feel a lot better about it though I honestly think it should be pretty close to spot. I am in a weird postion as if I try it and do not like it will lose a considerably amount of value. The other turbo I like is GT3071R. Weigh in Mike.

The problem they said was that their program starts with the center bore hole and then the rest of the wheel is CNC's from there, I am sure they could do it but that would mean setting up a new program for each wheel for the different GT's. I asked them to make me a custom 1 off 47mm extended tip wheel for one of their journal bearing turbos and I still don't have it yet and I ordered it in Oct. They sent me one but when it showed up it was a standard non ETT wheel, so now they might just end up building me it with the triplex CHRA since they have a 47mm ETT while for that CHRA already.

Yes they can just machine you out a 52mm housing if they don't already have one sitting on the shelf.

You do not want to run a .48 T3 housing on that turbo, better off with a .63 if you are going T3. With a 2 stoke setup you will have no problems making 400whp on pump gas with a 5552. Is the 55mm wheel you have a 71mm or 76mm exducer?

zandrew
05-06-2013, 05:57 AM
It is a 76mm. It has T25 .85 AR (or atleast that is what it looks like) flanged hotside and I actually have .48 T25 and a .64 that I was hoping they could machine the .64. To my understanding they can't reverse the cartridge back to T3 without a lot of work since the adapter flange is on the cart for the T25. Since my manifold is T25 I am OK with using these though T3 would be ideal.

The difference in the hub hole is .007" per side so I am surprised if it would be difficult unless their tooling is specific to the .250" hub bore. Do they point mill or flank mill Mike?

M-Hood
05-06-2013, 07:30 AM
It is a 76mm. It has T25 .85 AR (or atleast that is what it looks like) flanged hotside and I actually have .48 T25 and a .64 that I was hoping they could machine the .64. To my understanding they can't reverse the cartridge back to T3 without a lot of work since the adapter flange is on the cart for the T25. Since my manifold is T25 I am OK with using these though T3 would be ideal.

The difference in the hub hole is .007" per side so I am surprised if it would be difficult unless their tooling is specific to the .250" hub bore. Do they point mill or flank mill Mike?

Comp turbo is starting to make their own T25 housings so you could always buy a new one of theirs or they can machine yours out as long as it was for a smaller exhaust wheel.

I will have to ask them which type of milling they do.

jamerican1
05-06-2013, 11:56 AM
Wow. You guys think you have it bad, all I have is a k04, a test pipe and Unitronic stage 2+ software...

zandrew
05-07-2013, 07:57 PM
I am actually wondering how much you can make with a GT2871R on a 2.0? I would think it would be an awesome daily setup but not pull so hard from 6K on which is the sweet part of the range. I am actually considering get all 3 turbos dyno'd back to back with the 630 base tune so there would be a good comparison to go off of. I am in luck as local builder is going with an AWD dyno and I am good friends with his son. Literally less then 15 minutes away.

I am having something curious happen though with my stock block, the 630 Maestro AEB file, and my GT2871R. It is running great actually and is tons of un past 3K. However I was hauling ass past my dad the other day and shifted from 6500 and popping sound came from my exhaust and puff of black smoke. It souded like a back fire and I fairly sure that is what it was. I also have faint smell of burnt oil from my vents with the heat on at idle. Is this abnormal? Is my stocker giving up (it has 130,xxx miles on it)? I was hoping to get atleast 4 weeks out of this motor before I swapped in my 2.0.

Mike- How does the 52 turbine compare in size to the 56 and how does it compare with spool? I know they just list exducer size of the turbines so I was a bit curious since I can find dyno for a 56 turbine and have used a Precision 56 before as well. Also I contacted Comp and they suggested the .85 A over the .64 for what I am trying to do but the general conscenus is that the .64 should be fine for what I am trying to accomplish plus I would get better spool.

Is it typical for the 55 compressor to 76mm exducer or do they also offer 71mm as well?

I know we but heads a bit but I do appreciate the help.

M-Hood
05-07-2013, 10:27 PM
I am actually wondering how much you can make with a GT2871R on a 2.0? I would think it would be an awesome daily setup but not pull so hard from 6K on which is the sweet part of the range. I am actually considering get all 3 turbos dyno'd back to back with the 630 base tune so there would be a good comparison to go off of. I am in luck as local builder is going with an AWD dyno and I am good friends with his son. Literally less then 15 minutes away.

I am having something curious happen though with my stock block, the 630 Maestro AEB file, and my GT2871R. It is running great actually and is tons of un past 3K. However I was hauling ass past my dad the other day and shifted from 6500 and popping sound came from my exhaust and puff of black smoke. It souded like a back fire and I fairly sure that is what it was. I also have faint smell of burnt oil from my vents with the heat on at idle. Is this abnormal? Is my stocker giving up (it has 130,xxx miles on it)? I was hoping to get atleast 4 weeks out of this motor before I swapped in my 2.0.

Mike- How does the 52 turbine compare in size to the 56 and how does it compare with spool? I know they just list exducer size of the turbines so I was a bit curious since I can find dyno for a 56 turbine and have used a Precision 56 before as well. Also I contacted Comp and they suggested the .85 A over the .64 for what I am trying to do but the general conscenus is that the .64 should be fine for what I am trying to accomplish plus I would get better spool.

Is it typical for the 55 compressor to 76mm exducer or do they also offer 71mm as well?

I know we but heads a bit but I do appreciate the help.

The 52mm exhaust wheel will spool up the turbo quicker then the 55mm exhaust wheel which has a 64.25mm inducer.

Standard size for the 55mm compressor wheel should be 76mm but Comp does offer it in 71mm as an option, they also even offer a 67mm exducer option for some of the smaller turbos but will have to see if that is even possible on a 55mm compressor wheel.

Right now I have a CT2-4747 sitting here that Comp made with a 76mm exducer and right now they are making a CT2-4952 with a 67mm exducer.

Here is a picture of that 47mm with the 76mm exducer.
http://px6.streetfire.net/0002/19/02/2129120_600.jpg

http://px6.streetfire.net/0002/19/12/2129121_600.jpg

With the CT2 housing on it
http://px6.streetfire.net/0002/19/91/2129119_600.jpg

Here is a picture of a Comp 53mm compressor wheel in a CT2 housing so people can see how much larger the inducer opening is vs a 47mm wheel.
http://px6.streetfire.net/0002/19/22/2129122_600.jpg

zandrew
05-08-2013, 12:13 AM
A wider exducer with a smaller inducer widens the efficiency range out substantially. They used to make T3T4 Super 50 trim and it had 82mm exducer and its map is very broad but at the same time it is significantly harder to spool. I prefer the 76mm it was more a curiousity thing. BTW what is the 4747 you have built for? A GT2860RS has a 47.2mm inducer and 60mm exducer so I find it interesting the 4747 is 47mminducer and 76mm exducer.

My Comp actually is marked CT3B but uses the T25 housing and the comp cover from the one above in the bottom picture. I measured it and it is 5552. When will they have their own turbine housings ready for market as I am interested in going smaller. Also what sizes are they going to offer?

The sizes of these turbines are comparable to GT30 and GT35 so I am wondering if the spool is similar? I know they are listed as high flow design and I know other turbos that use HUGE turbines in comparison to Garrett spool similar like Bullseye and Borg Warner. I know the turbo will make the whp I am after I just dont want a lagger... I should be able to draw a decent comparison from the 55 turbine though.

Urtorsen
05-08-2013, 01:14 AM
Right now I have a CT2-4747 sitting here that Comp made with a 76mm exducer and right now they are making a CT2-4952 with a 67mm exducer.

I know of an avant that 4952 will fit real nice in.

Seerlah
05-08-2013, 02:51 AM

Check your compression and maybe boost leak test to see if possible leaks. The backfire was probably just that...a back fire. And with the smell, it is seeping in to your cabin by the cabin filter located to the very left of the cowl if looking at your car from the front.

.Mad Hatter.
05-08-2013, 04:21 AM
Mine tends to run rich and I can pretty much shoot flames on command. :D

M-Hood
05-08-2013, 05:43 AM
A wider exducer with a smaller inducer widens the efficiency range out substantially. They used to make T3T4 Super 50 trim and it had 82mm exducer and its map is very broad but at the same time it is significantly harder to spool. I prefer the 76mm it was more a curiousity thing. BTW what is the 4747 you have built for? A GT2860RS has a 47.2mm inducer and 60mm exducer so I find it interesting the 4747 is 47mminducer and 76mm exducer.

My Comp actually is marked CT3B but uses the T25 housing and the comp cover from the one above in the bottom picture. I measured it and it is 5552. When will they have their own turbine housings ready for market as I am interested in going smaller. Also what sizes are they going to offer?

The sizes of these turbines are comparable to GT30 and GT35 so I am wondering if the spool is similar? I know they are listed as high flow design and I know other turbos that use HUGE turbines in comparison to Garrett spool similar like Bullseye and Borg Warner. I know the turbo will make the whp I am after I just dont want a lagger... I should be able to draw a decent comparison from the 55 turbine though.

I think the 4747 was built for someone with a 200SX, thing is that it wasn't meant to be a 76mm exducer it was supposed to be a 71mm with a 76mm extended tip.

Are you sure it has the same cover as above, the CT2 and CT3 look very alike with a little differences. Do you have a picture of your CT that you can post?
If it has a CT2 cover like the pics I posted and has a T25 exhaust housing then it is what Comp calls their CT2-RS which would have a part number CT2B.

Here is a picture of a CT2B-5356 with the T25 housing.
http://px6.streetfire.net/0002/19/82/2129128_600.jpg
http://px6.streetfire.net/0002/19/92/2129129_600.jpg

Picture of a CT2(bottom) and CT3(top right)
http://px6.streetfire.net/0002/67/42/2047624_600.jpg

I will have to ask them when their T25 housings will be ready.

thenj3
05-08-2013, 07:09 AM
I want a polished compressor housing.

M-Hood
05-08-2013, 08:35 AM
I want a polished compressor housing.

You can send yours in to CT and have it polished since your car is sitting right now anyway. I wonder what a CT cover would look like anodized after it was polished,well that is if it can be anodized.

zandrew
05-08-2013, 10:19 AM
I am thinking about having my compressor housing ceramic coated red but my concern is that by doing so it would not allow heat to dissapate properly. I have a friend that does ceramic coating so I get killer deals. He is doing my bearings, valve heads, piston dish, lifters skirt and maybe the face, and combustion chambers for $200 and that includes return shipping.

Mike- Mine is a CT2RS and I will get some pictures later. The only real complaint I had with them is the casting inside compressor inlet was quite rough but I cleaned it up on a lathe. I am thinking about welding the wastegate port and running it with an external gate instead. This turbo is rated around 540hp and that is considerably more then largest Garret internally wastegated versions so I would assume it would be either past or very VERY close to the internal gates limit.

thenj3
05-08-2013, 10:45 AM
Idk if I wanna keep this one. I tapped it with a 3/8npt instead of a 1/4. It still works fine I just have to a larger vacuum hose.

M-Hood
05-08-2013, 10:59 AM
Idk if I wanna keep this one. I tapped it with a 3/8npt instead of a 1/4. It still works fine I just have to a larger vacuum hose.

How small of a hose are you running off the compressor housing?

If you need a 3/8 NPT fitting to a 1/4" hose you can always get this.
http://static.summitracing.com/global/images/prod/large/EDD-844640.jpg

thenj3
05-08-2013, 03:46 PM
How small of a hose are you running off the compressor housing?

If you need a 3/8 NPT fitting to a 1/4" hose you can always get this.
http://static.summitracing.com/global/images/prod/large/EDD-844640.jpg

i lied, i tapped it with a 1/4"NPT and am running 3/8" hose off of it, which is why I'm not too happy about it. But I actually just found a 1/4 NPT to 5/16" hose which is close enough to the 1/4" hose I wanna run.

M-Hood
05-08-2013, 05:03 PM
I am thinking about having my compressor housing ceramic coated red but my concern is that by doing so it would not allow heat to dissapate properly. I have a friend that does ceramic coating so I get killer deals. He is doing my bearings, valve heads, piston dish, lifters skirt and maybe the face, and combustion chambers for $200 and that includes return shipping.

Mike- Mine is a CT2RS and I will get some pictures later. The only real complaint I had with them is the casting inside compressor inlet was quite rough but I cleaned it up on a lathe. I am thinking about welding the wastegate port and running it with an external gate instead. This turbo is rated around 540hp and that is considerably more then largest Garret internally wastegated versions so I would assume it would be either past or very VERY close to the internal gates limit.

That is why I would have it polished and anodized to give it color since that wont effect how much heat can escape from the housing.

Yeah you can see that same rough coating on some of the housings I posted, I think a light sand will take that right off too. When CT has to machine out the housings for a larger wheel most of that gets removed.

CT can do up to a 60mm exhaust wheel in the T25. I guess the WG would only be an issue if trying to run really low boost and at that point would end up getting boost creep, but shouldn't be a problem if running really high boost since the WG won't be used that much to control boost.

BTW talked to CT and they said it will be a few more weeks till their T25 housings are completed.

terraflata
05-09-2013, 08:17 AM
That is why I would have it polished and anodized to give it color since that wont effect how much heat can escape from the housing.

True story. Taken this route for intercooler....wanted something balla without completely screwing up the whole reason its there.

BattleWagon
05-10-2013, 09:46 AM
True story. Taken this route for intercooler....wanted something balla without completely screwing up the whole reason its there.

I can't say I agree with his theory, for your intercooler piping which is exposed to cooler outside air passing by it, of course, but given the extreme temps coming from your manifold, shielding away what is technically part of your intake system from this extreme heat produced via manifold should outweigh any potential shedding of temps just by dissipating it through the metal. I see the housing becoming potentially heat soaked much quicker then normal with out a ceramic coating.
I understand a turbo produces alot of heat, but does it produce more heat then the engines exhaust flow / turbo manifold? That's the golden question.

M-Hood
05-10-2013, 10:32 AM
I can't say I agree with his theory, for your intercooler piping which is exposed to cooler outside air passing by it, of course, but given the extreme temps coming from your manifold, shielding away what is technically part of your intake system from this extreme heat produced via manifold should outweigh any potential shedding of temps just by dissipating it through the metal. I see the housing becoming potentially heat soaked much quicker then normal with out a ceramic coating.
I understand a turbo produces alot of heat, but does it produce more heat then the engines exhaust flow / turbo manifold? That's the golden question.

I think it would take more then just radiated heat from the manifold to effect the temps of the air charge inside of the compressor housing. Most of the time the compressor housing isn't sitting any closer to the manifold then it is to its own exhaust housing which gets just as hot as the manifold.

BattleWagon
05-10-2013, 02:12 PM
I think it would take more then just radiated heat from the manifold to effect the temps of the air charge inside of the compressor housing. Most of the time the compressor housing isn't sitting any closer to the manifold then it is to its own exhaust housing which gets just as hot as the manifold.

Yeah i think your right, but every setup is different so, I am sure there are some cases with similar situations, but who knows lol. I was thinking of running a ceramic coating on my intake manifold. Would def look nice [:D]

Operator
05-11-2013, 08:40 PM
I was thinking of running a ceramic coating on my intake manifold. Would def look nice [:D]

That's the route I'm going with the DP, Exhaust Mani, hot side of the turbo, and heatshield.