PDA

View Full Version : Stock 1.8 T fuel pump flow question

ShadowofBob
04-30-2013, 08:52 AM
I've got a 2000 1.8T and am about to install 415cc genesis injectors and a 3.5 Bar FPR for a flow rate of ~440cc along with a Frankenturbo. I am wondering if this will be okay for the factory fuel pump or if I need to look into a Walbro 255 or other alternative. Tried searching around but haven't come across any solid info about what the limits of the factory pump are.

Seerlah
04-30-2013, 09:25 AM
Stock pump flows enough fuel for the frankenturbo.

lorge1989
04-30-2013, 09:28 AM
With 630cc injectors and the factory fuel pump, I made 300 whp. I wouldn't reccomend trying that though.

034Motorsport
04-30-2013, 11:27 AM
Sometimes it's not so much whether the stock pump can handle that, but that your stock pump is over 12 years old.

Consider an AEM pump; they are small, can be made to fit the stock basket a few different ways, and can flow more than enough for what you need.

We also make a sweet billet adapter to securely utilize an AEM, Walbro, or Aeromotive pump in your stock fuel basket.

http://www.034motorsport.com/fuel-injection-solutions-fuel-pumps-billet-drop-in-fuel-pump-adapter-kit-39mm-aem-aeromotive-walbro-p-23366.html

http://www.034motorsport.com/oscthumbwm/w/750/h/750/q/95/f/jpg/fltr/wmi%7CphpThumb/watermarks/034watermark%7CC%7C20%7C0/hash/bbbb2edef660739a6071ab5a4f8a869f/src/images/39mm_VAG_Fuel_Pump_Bracket.jpg

ddillenger
04-30-2013, 12:40 PM
I've got a 2000 1.8T and am about to install 415cc genesis injectors and a 3.5 Bar FPR for a flow rate of ~440cc along with a Frankenturbo. I am wondering if this will be okay for the factory fuel pump or if I need to look into a Walbro 255 or other alternative. Tried searching around but haven't come across any solid info about what the limits of the factory pump are.

Did your genesis injectors come with a datasheet?

ShadowofBob
04-30-2013, 12:43 PM
Sometimes it's not so much whether the stock pump can handle that, but that your stock pump is over 12 years old.

Consider an AEM pump; they are small, can be made to fit the stock basket a few different ways, and can flow more than enough for what you need.

We also make a sweet billet adapter to securely utilize an AEM, Walbro, or Aeromotive pump in your stock fuel basket.

http://www.034motorsport.com/fuel-injection-solutions-fuel-pumps-billet-drop-in-fuel-pump-adapter-kit-39mm-aem-aeromotive-walbro-p-23366.html

Definitely understand that the age aspect of the issue as well. I'm more curious as to what levels a new OEM 1.8T pump would be safe powering. I'll be taking into account my pumps age should I be approaching that level.

Not sure I'd go with an AEM, as nice as they are I don't think my needs on the A4 as a daily would ever utilize it. Most certainly will consider it for my Coupe ABY project when it comes to designing a fuel system for it though.

034Motorsport
04-30-2013, 01:02 PM
With an FT turbo and 3.5BAR regulator, stock pump flow will be fine.

wildfan4eva
03-31-2014, 12:27 AM
Double Post w/ old account.

pichno
03-31-2014, 12:36 AM

http://www.034motorsport.com/oscthumbwm/w/750/h/750/q/95/f/jpg/fltr/wmi%7CphpThumb/watermarks/034watermark%7CC%7C20%7C0/hash/bbbb2edef660739a6071ab5a4f8a869f/src/images/39mm_VAG_Fuel_Pump_Bracket.jpg

What about a stock pump with 251K currently running a K04 program with stock injectors and a "5BAR?" I have had the tune for about 3 months now, and from the minute I installed the K04/5BAR I've had issues in 3rd/4th/5th gears at high load. 3rd gear is closer to redline before issues, 4th gear is 3500K+ and 5th gear varies. 1st/2nd gear have no issues through redline 90% of the time, maybe 2nd close to redline stutters very little on rare occasion. What happens is during high load the car hesitates, no flashing CEL, but it feels like it's being starved and wants to go, but it's like an in/out power scenario while the guage flutters between 10psi-20ish. Not a violent shake or anything, but definitely loss of power until I let off the gas.

I had the same K04 tune on my K03 and stock 4BAR for about 2-3 months with ZERO isses, but the minute I changed to the K04/5BAR is was a different story.

I replaced the MAF, stock TIP with a silicone one, etc. N75 is 2 years old and Vag-Com shows good values, and the fault codes I had prior to TIP installation were: MAF limit exceeded, running lean while driving at WOT, and overboost. No misfire codes. I also tested the boost/vacuum lines the best I could and didn't find any issues (gauge reads -21 vacuum at idle however I do have a minor pulsating from -21 to -20 during idle). I did have a sticky wasetgate prior and that's now fixed, although I'm still overboosting a little just not nearly as bad. I'm installing a new clutch, MBC Boostvalve, and 255 fuel pump on Thursday.

Given that the N75 is showing good values on Vag-Com when we drove it (requested/actual), MAF replaced, DV is only 3 months old from the TT 225 (710N), and new silicone TIP, doesn't it make sense that the 251K mile FP just might be too old and not able to keep up? I mean, no issues at all with the K04 tune on the K03 turbo and stock 4BAR, but the very instant the K04 turbo and 5BAR are installed, high load in 3rd-5th cause hesitation? I just don't know what else it could be at this point, unless I missed something during the boost/vacuum check?

Rdiddy986
03-31-2014, 03:23 AM
I am in the same boat as you are my friend, I have a F21 with 630cc injectors. I went ahead and purchased the 034 Audi B5 A4/S4/RS4 044 Motorsport Drop In Fuel Pump. Its
pricey but I know that I wont have the wine sound as the inline fuel pump that most of my buddies purchased. Right now I am waiting on the engine to come back from the machine shop and Ill have to break it in. I also have an 2000 audi A4 so I just tossed the old and went with the new.

pichno
03-31-2014, 03:38 AM
I am in the same boat as you are my friend, I have a F21 with 630cc injectors. I went ahead and purchased the 034 Audi B5 A4/S4/RS4 044 Motorsport Drop In Fuel Pump. Its
pricey but I know that I wont have the wine sound as the inline fuel pump that most of my buddies purchased. Right now I am waiting on the engine to come back from the machine shop and Ill have to break it in. I also have an 2000 audi A4 so I just tossed the old and went with the new.

Ummmm, I don't think we're in the same boat.....lol

First of all, I have an '01 like it says in my "Sig" not an '00

Second, I don't have any FP noises going on.....

Unless I'm complete missinterpreting your post/issue, I think we're in completely different boats actually :)

M-Hood
03-31-2014, 06:48 AM
Ummmm, I don't think we're in the same boat.....lol

First of all, I have an '01 like it says in my "Sig" not an '00

Second, I don't have any FP noises going on.....

Unless I'm complete missinterpreting your post/issue, I think we're in completely different boats actually :)

There is no difference between a 00 and a 01 when it comes to the fuel system seeing they are both return fuel systems, Audi didn't change the fuel system till 2002 when they went to a non return fuel system at the rail.

I think he meant that he went with a 044 since many of the other brand pumps are louder then the Bosch pumps.

Same boat just made in a different year.

pichno
03-31-2014, 02:51 PM
There is no difference between a 00 and a 01 when it comes to the fuel system seeing they are both return fuel systems, Audi didn't change the fuel system till 2002 when they went to a non return fuel system at the rail.

I think he meant that he went with a 044 since many of the other brand pumps are louder then the Bosch pumps.

Same boat just made in a different year.

Understandable similarities with fueling sure, however he said I "also" have a 2001, just clarifying we have different years that's all.