PDA

View Full Version : ECS Key Fob

wallabeex
04-29-2013, 09:57 AM
Lost my key fob during a drunk ramble over the weekend. It might turn up in the next few days but I figure it's not a bad thing to have one or two extra's lying around. Luckily I have the original black plastic master and the valet key.

Some quick research on here says eBay or ECS Tuning is the way to go - checking ECS, it looks like they only have the remote part. Could someone direct me to where I can find the top part with the switchblade blank, AND the bottom part?

http://www.ecstuning.com/Search/Fob/ES463487/

Thanks.

Believer
04-29-2013, 10:16 AM
Found this on eBay - I'd buy it if I needed a fob.

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Remote-Flip-Folding-Key-Shell-Case-For-Audi-A3-A4-2-Buttons-2bt-4d0837231n-Uncut/652768703.html

walky_talky20
04-29-2013, 10:17 AM
ECS sells every genuine part, and will show you the price on their website - so long as you know the part number of what you want:

http://www.ecstuning.com/Search/4D0_837_246_B/ES377309/

But the genuine keys are expensive. Ebay is your friend for cheaper key stuff.

wallabeex
04-29-2013, 10:26 AM
ECS sells every genuine part, and will show you the price on their website - so long as you know the part number of what you want:

http://www.ecstuning.com/Search/4D0_837_246_B/ES377309/

But the genuine keys are expensive. Ebay is your friend for cheaper key stuff.

Thanks Walkie, exactly what I was looking for. Not sure why I couldn't find it. I'm not worried about the price, just want something nice and OEM. If anything paying a bit more than eBay will have me being less of a jackass on the weekend.

Also, nice car - we share the color!

Detroitfire23
04-29-2013, 10:40 AM
Don't waste ur money on the ebay ones like I did, most key cutters including the dealership won't do them because they will ruin the cutting blade.

bw86
04-29-2013, 10:55 AM
Don't waste ur money on the ebay ones like I did, most key cutters including the dealership won't do them because they will ruin the cutting blade.

Really? My local locksmith didn't have a problem cutting the blank I got on ebay.

Detroitfire23
04-29-2013, 02:31 PM
Really? My local locksmith didn't have a problem cutting the blank I got on ebay.

Dealership by me wouldn't even try, local key did & the second one killed his cutting blade.

Corrado_Guy
04-29-2013, 02:48 PM
I bought 3 of the e-Bay ones (key blank, remote, and chip) for less than what the remote costs from ECS shipped and had no problems getting them cut. I wouldn't go to the dealer for anything so bypassing them is the first step to success.

Mad Cow
04-29-2013, 03:53 PM
Dealership by me wouldn't even try, local key did & the second one killed his cutting blade.

I've heard about this before, OEM blades are a softer metal apparently. But I would go OEM just for the fact that it looks, feels and fits better than aftermarket. I bought a blade and casing off ebay and you can tell the plastic is cheaper, the blade doesn't open as smoothly and linearly, the buttons began wearing out after a month and the chrome plating on the little flip open button was bubbling and looked like ass.

ECS Tuning-Audi
04-30-2013, 08:23 AM
Most of these keys are VIN specific. Then of course you need to have the dealer cut them. We can get you the blank VIN specific key for your vehicle but you'll need to have it cut at the dealer.

Jason

wallabeex
04-30-2013, 10:23 AM
Most of these keys are VIN specific. Then of course you need to have the dealer cut them. We can get you the blank VIN specific key for your vehicle but you'll need to have it cut at the dealer.

Jason

Thanks for the reply Jason. I contacted my mechanic about whether I had the right part and they offered to take care of the whole thing (cut / programmed) for slightly more than I would've paid, so I went with them. I imagine you'll be getting the business either way. :)

U_know_me
04-30-2013, 01:25 PM
Thanks for the reply Jason. I contacted my mechanic about whether I had the right part and they offered to take care of the whole thing (cut / programmed) for slightly more than I would've paid, so I went with them. I imagine you'll be getting the business either way. :)

Just a quick FYI, I learned this the hard way a few weeks ago. Most dealers dont cut keys anymore (none in my area do at all) , and if they do it is only if they are a genuine VAG key . Only a select few locksmiths will cut and program an EBAY or VAG key and it ends up more than going to a dealer and having them order one.

Corrado_Guy
04-30-2013, 04:07 PM
Just a quick FYI, I learned this the hard way a few weeks ago. Most dealers dont cut keys anymore (none in my area do at all) , and if they do it is only if they are a genuine VAG key . Only a select few locksmiths will cut and program an EBAY or VAG key and it ends up more than going to a dealer and having them order one.

Did it cost you less than $70 to have the key cut at the dealer? It cost me $50 to have the key cut at the first place I called and then $20 for the complete key with the remote shipped and then I programmed the key myself. I doubt the dealer could even come close to this for just the cutting not include anything else but if you feel the dealer is the only option then it is up to you.

U_know_me
05-01-2013, 05:47 AM
Did it cost you less than $70 to have the key cut at the dealer? It cost me $50 to have the key cut at the first place I called and then $20 for the complete key with the remote shipped and then I programmed the key myself. I doubt the dealer could even come close to this for just the cutting not include anything else but if you feel the dealer is the only option then it is up to you.

No dealers in ATL area cut keys anymore and only locksmiths do the laser keys. I didnt have much time to check but the lowest I found was $55 to cut the key, and I had to program it myself with vagcom. So the cost of the key and having it cut was around $85 + all the hassle to get it cut and program . A dealer key isnt much more than that and to me would have been worth the extra cash.

Just trying to help others to know that it isnt as easy as buying an ebay/ecs key and having the dealer do the rest anymore. Its possible to save a little but the hassle is not worth it.

chris164935
05-01-2013, 11:37 AM
No dealers in ATL area cut keys anymore and only locksmiths do the laser keys. I didnt have much time to check but the lowest I found was $55 to cut the key, and I had to program it myself with vagcom. So the cost of the key and having it cut was around $85 + all the hassle to get it cut and program . A dealer key isnt much more than that and to me would have been worth the extra cash.

Just trying to help others to know that it isnt as easy as buying an ebay/ecs key and having the dealer do the rest anymore. Its possible to save a little but the hassle is not worth it.
Yeah, when I had to replace my key, I just gave the dealership my VIN# and a couple days later I had a new key and it cost me like $90 and tax. The turn-around time was less than if I had ordered one on eBay and had it shipped to me. I also didn't have to reprogram or anything. This was only for the top half of the key, not the remote part though.

Corrado_Guy
05-01-2013, 01:01 PM
Sorry, I checked the bill for the locksmith and it was $15 so a total of $35 plus me programming the key.

U_know_me
05-01-2013, 01:16 PM
Sorry, I checked the bill for the locksmith and it was $15 so a total of $35 plus me programming the key.

You win...... I retract my previous statements to try to help everyone through personal experience. Just send your key to Corrado Guy after you buy it on ebay and he will get it cut for you...........