PDA

View Full Version : epc light cutting power

dscheidt
04-27-2013, 08:36 PM
Hey everyone,
So i have been having a problem with my car stalling when its idling at a stoplight as well as it cutting power when im accelerating. The check engine light is on and the epc light comes on when it cutts power.
Also, it is sometimes hard to start and the epc light will come on. If i turn the car off and turn it right back on the car runs perfectly.
Thanks for any help.

dscheidt
04-27-2013, 08:37 PM
Its a 2001 1.8t

b6_quattro
04-27-2013, 08:40 PM
Pull your codes. it could be a bad maf but it could also be a lot of other things.

specialeyes
04-27-2013, 10:02 PM
Hey dscheidt, sounds like exactly what I've just gone through with my B6....if you pull codes, probably get 0322 which most likely a crankshaft position sensor (engine speed sensor) with your symptoms. I had the same symptoms...stalling, hard to start, epc and/or check engine light...suggest you start looking there. Al

dscheidt
04-27-2013, 11:55 PM
Thanks, im pulling codes tomorrow and ill let you know what comes up.

TJN0923
04-28-2013, 08:45 AM
Definitely could be a crank position sensor, however if you are good with wiring id check the ecu relays. there could be a blown one. this sounds like what happened to my car. i threw a new crank sensor at it expecting it to be fixed and it did nothing. I took it to my mechanic and he found two wires with blown relays that were shorting out my car causing it to have hard starts/ not starting/ epc light coming on. but like the other guys said, definitely get the codes first and go from there.

NewDays
04-28-2013, 12:37 PM
Definitely could be a crank position sensor, however if you are good with wiring id check the ecu relays. there could be a blown one. this sounds like what happened to my car. i threw a new crank sensor at it expecting it to be fixed and it did nothing. I took it to my mechanic and he found two wires with blown relays that were shorting out my car causing it to have hard starts/ not starting/ epc light coming on. but like the other guys said, definitely get the codes first and go from there.

We pulled the codes on the car today and got these 2 codes, one previously existing for the past few months and the epc light is on. Here are the codes
P0010
P0322

The car also won't start at all now or even crank over so we're towing the car home right now, any help is appreciated! TIA

catbed
04-28-2013, 01:18 PM
We pulled the codes on the car today and got these 2 codes, one previously existing for the past few months and the epc light is on. Here are the codes
P0010
P0322

The car also won't start at all now or even crank over so we're towing the car home right now, any help is appreciated! TIA

First one is cam position sensor, second is crank. I'd say you need a new CKP.

T Rex
04-28-2013, 09:25 PM
Although this probably is not your problem, I had my epc light come on as I would make hard right turns. After a bit of just hard rights it became completely unpredictable when it would come on. It turned out that there was a coolant leak that dripped onto a wire connecting to the car. The coolant was flooding the connection and would completely cover a side of the connection to the cord when a turn was made.

Blur2u
04-29-2013, 09:08 AM
Hey O.P. i had the same issues a month ago and it turns out it was the Crankshaft sensor. It was a 15 minute job. Not sure if you have the same issue, but i had the same symptoms along with the EPC light turning on. The stalling gets worst when your engine is hot, i believe the sensor gets heat soaked and normally you can't restart the car until it cools down.

Here's the part i replaced

http://www.purems.com/Products/071957147.MY-Crank-Sensor-AWMAUG

....it's located right next to the oil filter and runs to the firewall underneath the coolant tank. It's easy to replace, gluck!

dscheidt
04-30-2013, 09:20 AM
I got my engine speed sensor yesterday and i will put it in after school today. Ill post again when its all hopefully fixed..

dscheidt
05-02-2013, 08:28 AM
I switched out my sensor and the car is running great. It nly took me a couple hours to get it switched out.