PDA

View Full Version : Sagging Front Doors

Sylond
04-27-2013, 08:00 PM
Hey all -
A buddy of mine with a b5 S4 is having some issues with his front two doors sagging while open. The doors are starting to become difficult to close, so he wants to deal with the problem before it gets any worse. I have heard that you need to replace the door pins and bushings to fix the sag, but have no idea how to go about doing this. Are there any good DIYs out there regarding this process? I haven't found any. If there is one for a different car that is similar enough to the B5, that would be fine too. I also need some advice on where I can get these pins and bushings, as well as which sizes to get.
Thanks guys,
Sylond

fR3ZNO
04-27-2013, 08:15 PM
Hey all -
A buddy of mine with a b5 S4 is having some issues with his front two doors sagging while open. The doors are starting to become difficult to close, so he wants to deal with the problem before it gets any worse. I have heard that you need to replace the door pins and bushings to fix the sag, but have no idea how to go about doing this. Are there any good DIYs out there regarding this process? I haven't found any. If there is one for a different car that is similar enough to the B5, that would be fine too. I also need some advice on where I can get these pins and bushings, as well as which sizes to get.
Thanks guys,
Sylond

I had a similar issue with my 2001 A4 on the driver's side. I ended up removing the whole door and then replaced the lower hinge. I only removed the door because it was getting repainted. But I imagine you can remove and replace the door hinge (i think that's what you are referring to when you say "pins and bushings").

I don't know of any DIYs, but its a relatively simple process. If you want, I can describe it in a little more detail.

I ended up buying a used hinge from a parts puller that was in really good shape. I had it painted to body color as well (not really necessary). Since OEM hinges are like $200 a pop, they're quite expensive.

sa_seahawker
04-27-2013, 08:40 PM
Shouldn't take you more than 30 minutes per door:

1. Stabilize the door via a door stand or a strong and patient friend. This is to support the weight of the door while the hinges are loose.
2. Using a sharpie or marker, make a score mark around the outside of the hinge into the car body paint. This is used as a reference when lining up the new hinge.
3. Unbolt or loosen the hinge from the car. There are two bolts per hinge on the car side AND two bolts on the door side.

Step 4a is if you are adjusting. Step 4b is if you are replacing:
4a. if adjusting door position, slightly rotate door until the hinge lines up to the spot you need. Use your reference mark to determine if you've moved the hinge or not.
4b. if replacing hinge, unbolt both hinges from car (again making sure you made your reference marks). Move door away from car. Remove hinge(s) from door. You should be able to do this without disconnecting door harness.

5. Securely tighten hinges when in the desired position.
6. Test door travel and lining by opening and closing the door. Pay particular attention to when the door actually closes. The physical action of the door and car meeting should appear to be unnoticeable. Also, completely close the door and check the gaps between the door and car (particularly the door/fender gap). You are checking for an evenly spaced gap all the way down length of the gap. You will know it's off if the gap looks close at the top and large at the bottom or vice versa.

Also, keep in mind that if you decide to replace a hinge, you may want to have it painted first.

http://www.northerntool.com/wcsstore/NTECatalogAssetStore/images/product/images/806001_lg.jpg

csosnowski
04-27-2013, 10:34 PM
I usually just put a jack and a piece of wood under the door and lift gently until there is pressure on the door and its obviously being forced upwards.

if its too high when I'm done I pull the door down. These are slight adjustments and I've done it on many cars, however I'm not responsible if something gets damaged following my instructions.

that being said I've had good results and its a hell of a lot easier than replacing hinges or shimming them which I attempted with little success.

sa_seahawker
04-27-2013, 10:36 PM
I usually just put a jack and a piece of wood under the door and lift gently until there is pressure on the door and its obviously being forced upwards.

if its too high when I'm done I pull the door down. These are slight adjustments and I've done it on many cars, however I'm not responsible if something gets damaged following my instructions.

that being said I've had good results and its a hell of a lot easier than replacing hinges or shimming them which I attempted with little success.

Nor am I

Sylond
04-28-2013, 09:09 AM
Thanks for bunch for the help, guys. I'll find a donor car for the hinge assemblies. Think I might make this into a proper DIY too... we'll see. Thanks again!!

Mad Cow
04-29-2013, 04:09 PM
Look into replacing the latch too, it gets worn out from the door being misaligned. Mine eventually got to the point where it just refused to latch, then I got really mad at the door and ended up denting it by the handle trying to close it. [:|]