PDA

View Full Version : Still needing help with 2.8 Auto Transmission!!

JaysA4
04-26-2013, 03:25 PM
Ill try to make this short and sweet. I bought another A4...1997 Pearl 2.8 Non-Tip Automatic. I'm having trouble with it engaging in Drive. I can only start driving in gear '2' and then can shift through the rest of the gears (2-3-4-D). If I put the car in 'D' it acts as if its neutral, same with all gears but '2'. Gear selector is not lit up as in limp mode, I can almost redline in each gear, doesn't make any funny noises or anything. The only other weird thing is when I come to a stop, an I don't completely stop, it will kinda stall out like its in neutral. Scanned with VAG-COM and all I've got back was Brake Light Switch and an ABS code. I've searched and searched and searched and can't find anything like this.
Where should I start?

Thanks.

Artiemas
04-26-2013, 05:03 PM
You can start with the basics.
Flush the fluid, replace with new fluid/new gasket

JaysA4
04-26-2013, 05:45 PM
That will definitely be done, but, the previous owner said this happened 'over night' so I would assume it would be something maybe electrical or sensor related? I mean anything can be possible at this point I guess. Other than fluid exchange, what could I be looking for?

contrldsub
04-26-2013, 07:35 PM
Ill try to make this short and sweet. I bought another A4...1997 Pearl 2.8 Non-Tip Automatic. I'm having trouble with it engaging in Drive. I can only start driving in gear '2' and then can shift through the rest of the gears (2-3-4-D). If I put the car in 'D' it acts as if its neutral, same with all gears but '2'. Gear selector is not lit up as in limp mode, I can almost redline in each gear, doesn't make any funny noises or anything. The only other weird thing is when I come to a stop, an I don't completely stop, it will kinda stall out like its in neutral. Scanned with VAG-COM and all I've got back was Brake Light Switch and an ABS code. I've searched and searched and searched and can't find anything like this.
Where should I start?

Thanks.

my money is on the gear position switch on the side of the transmission. had a smiliiar problem with my 1.8 tip tronic.

JaysA4
05-04-2013, 05:17 PM
my money is on the gear position switch on the side of the transmission. had a smiliiar problem with my 1.8 tip tronic.

Shoot, I can't really find anything about this for my car? Neutral Safety Switch? Lets hope not, that bad boy is 400-550 on ECS :/

csosnowski
05-04-2013, 06:48 PM

^This right here.

Range switch, pick one up at a junk yard or off of car-part.com.

JaysA4
05-05-2013, 06:49 PM
^This right here.

Range switch, pick one up at a junk yard or off of car-part.com.

I will do that. Now I'm rocking the 12v, will it matter if its from a 30v or 1.8t if I get it from the yard?

csosnowski
05-06-2013, 10:10 AM
It will need to be for the early cars, probably has a round connector. later cars have a rectangular connector. I don't think it depends on the engine, just the year.

JaysA4
05-14-2013, 08:25 PM
I'm not having any luck finding a used one. Any suggestions?

JaysA4
05-14-2013, 10:03 PM
Also, I was thinking, would one from a 2.8 passat work?