PDA

View Full Version : 2001 2.8L Automatic Shifting Issues

Starvnmrvn
04-25-2013, 03:35 PM
To start off...this is my first post. I'm on these forums reading up about my car constantly. I'm also a fairly new Audi owner(June 2012). I have an 2001 A4 2.8L Automatic w/ Tiptronic (108k Miles). In the last two months I've had a random issue where my car seems to forget when to shift. I will get into 3rd gear and it just revs. If i push over into the manual I can shift out of it fine without any problems. I can shift all the way to 5th gear fine but when I switch back to automatic it does it again. The issue will usually go away after the car sits for a bit. Sometimes it will just go away the first time I manually shift and switch back. This hasn't happened in about a month but these last two days at just about the same time on my way home from work it does it. Today it downshifted out of 5th gear when I let off the gas for a second going 60mph. I had one dealer say it could be the computer system that manages the Tiptronic..

Unfortunately I'm not very savvy with cars. I know the basics and am willing to follow DIY things. I really just want some perspective on the issue because there's only dealers in my area.. I found one local shop but I wanted to get some ideas about what it could be. I've argued with one dealer that told me they can't change my transmission fluid when another dealer says they can. Then I look it up on here and people say you can. If that's all it might be, then I'm fine with paying the 200~ or w/e it is to fix it. I'm just worried it could be a bigger issue.

Thanks for any info.

rollerton
04-25-2013, 03:52 PM
#1. Don't take your car back to the place that said they "couldn't" change the trans fluid. NEVER go there.
#2. Find someone with an on-board-diagnostic cable, like Vag Com, and have them scan the engine and trans modules.
Very good odds that if there's a gear selection issue or any sort of problem with the trans the error will be logged. Not much else we can do for you here without more to go on~ there are a dozen different things it could be.

walky_talky20
04-25-2013, 05:05 PM
Indeed. You need to get somebody to read the codes out of the Transmission Computer before you go further. Then maybe check condition/level of the auto trans fluid.

Starvnmrvn
04-25-2013, 05:53 PM
Ok, sounds good. There's a shop near in DE that says they specialize in in Audi's and I had a Euro Shop recommend me to them. Maybe I can see if they will take a look at it. Even though I'm not very savvy I've considered investing in a VAG Com. It seems to be a very useful code reader. Thanks for the info guys.

Starvnmrvn
04-26-2013, 11:56 AM
Well, I took it to the local shop and he couldn't get any codes. Nothing from the engine or transmission. He drove it to see if it would replicate but it never does... Only thing I can think of at this point is just to have the transmission fluid changed.

Harddrive
04-28-2013, 11:55 AM
I had a somewhat similar issue once with my 2.8 tip. I finally discovered that the problem had to do with heat. Apparently, the ATF cooler on the radiator became clogged, meaning ATF was not being cycled and therefore the tranny was getting too hot. When it got to a certain temp (119 Celsius if I remember rightly) it would downshift to 3rd and would not go higher until the tranny temp dropped. I had to change my radiator to fix the problem.

Starvnmrvn
04-29-2013, 08:06 AM
That could be what's wrong with mine. My issue seems to happen just before I get home and my drive is about 45 minutes. Also it just did it all day saturday and it was warm out and sitting in the sun for a while... Maybe I'll have that looked at.

Starvnmrvn
05-03-2013, 03:50 PM
Well, I unplugged the battery. Pressed on the break a few times to make sure power gets pulled out. Waited 30~ minutes. Put the key in the ignition and left it in the "on" position for 3~ minutes. Turned it to the "off" position. Shut everything and started up. Went out and drove up and down the road up to 55~ mph. Seems to be shifting smoothly right now. I'm going to go driving tonight and tomorrow and see if any change. I might take a look at the TCU/TCM and check to make sure there's no water damage and clean it up. Let's hope this fixes my problem :/

Starvnmrvn
05-06-2013, 03:16 PM
So... I have no idea if this fixed the issue. I replaced the spark plugs with NGK (#BKR6EKUB) spark plugs and I replaced the air filter (which looks like it hasn't been changed in a while) with a K&N Air Filter. I notice much more power and have had no shifting issues since. Just for a good look at my spark plugs, which could have been the culprit. I'm not really sure..don't know too much.

http://i.imgur.com/pRz7PHYl.jpg

They all looked the same...

Cgoon009
05-06-2013, 03:35 PM
Thats pretty crusty