PDA

View Full Version : STUCK AT WORK - Harness wiring issue (PLS DONT DELETE REPOST

V A4 Life
04-24-2013, 05:34 PM
Okay Guys,

I'm waiting on a new Crank Position Sensor as my CPS wire and plug was ripped right off the car. (No belly pan, CPS replaced 4 years ago but not tucked back in when fixing a vac leak or changing oil or whatever... ROADKILL + 110 mph = NO GREY PLUG ON HARNESS)

The CPS is still in place and the 3 wires on the harness broke evenly. NO LIE, the car ran for 3 hours and 200 miles with a completely broken connection, the last two days it hard started with the EPC light and OTW to work today it went into limp mode. It stalled about 6 or 7 times in the last 4 days but always started or restarted with a clutch drop if rolling.

Today I got the CPS out, cleaned it and stripped the wires for the install. (I have neither side of the GREY PLUG) I was puzzled how it kept starting with no connection so I went and cut a plug out of a 98 A4. The harness side had the same black, blue, white set up and the other side to the CPS was the same too.
I wire the CPS to the CORRECT side of the GREY and test ohms (931 of a 730 to 1000 range) other two Open Line like the book says. I connect the harness side, plug it up and the car still hard starts but with NO EPC light.

I thought COOL. It idled at 1100 rpms as before and I drove a short distance and it was boosting 14-15 again so cool. I let it idle for 20 mins and it was still at 1100 rpms, I cut it off and started it FIVE TIMES. First start was hard ( 6 sec crank) but the other four were two crank 1 sec starts with no EPC light. I have the guy clear my codes so I can see what codes I get after my 40 mile ride home..... WRONG MOVE.

CRANK COUGH DIE, CRANK COUGH DIE, CRANK COUGH DIE, CRANK COUGH DIE

I CHECKED THE :

SPARK PLUGS = perfect tan color, dry
UNPLUGED MAF = cranks dry, no cough
UNPLUGED CPS = cranks dry, no cough (this is how it drove for 4 days and 360 miles)
RECHECKED CPS = didn't rattle, magnet still works
RECHECKED OHMS = 930 the same
VOLTAGE = 12.7 and I charged it between cranking sessions today
RECHECKED GREY PLUG = looks good as CPS side
BUMP START = FAILED

ALL HELP WELCOMED - 2001.5 A4 AWM LETS PROVE WHY AUDIZINE RULEZ

walky_talky20
04-24-2013, 09:03 PM
So, clearing the codes made the car no longer run? What codes were present before the clear?

thenj3
04-24-2013, 09:09 PM
are you using the sensor from the 98? just a little confused on that part

walky_talky20
04-24-2013, 09:12 PM
And splicing in a connector to a damaged crank sensor wire doesn't "feel good" to me. And feeling good is what I'm all about, you know.

thenj3
04-24-2013, 09:23 PM
especially a shielded wire haha

V A4 Life
04-25-2013, 05:40 AM
are you using the sensor from the 98? just a little confused on that part

I think its a 99 AEB rectangle gray plug, Yes it's shielded and I know I'm a dumbass.

I cleared P0322 (CPS) and P0140, P0136 (HO2 B1 S2) and P0170 (fuel trim B1) , after that the no start happened.

I let the fact that things I thought would happen were going on, all while I had that EPC light and torn CPS wire, I rushed and did something half ass aaaahhh haa ... experimental is more like it. I should have waited til I got home and it wouldn't have been a problem or post. VAGCOM On The Way Monday and I'm OBD II til then.

Walky, I needed to see if the cable was something I was comfortable doing or having a pro do it. Not as afraid of elec. and wiring as I use to after rebuilding my 97 SRAD..... but the fear and respect are back. The shielded cable and harness repair will be done be a professional with a new CPS and a current D shaped Gray Plug (01-05)

?? Can I force limp mode or a safe starting mode in VAGCOM ?? Sorry to pile on, at work and can't search like I should.... FLAME ON!!!

THX GUYS

thenj3
04-25-2013, 06:47 AM
The wires on the 058 sensor are dofferent from the o6a harness. You need to swap pins 1 and 3 on the harness

V A4 Life
04-25-2013, 07:10 AM
The wires on the 058 sensor are dofferent from the o6a harness. You need to swap pins 1 and 3 on the harness

THX

I didn't have wiring diagram. My mech friend said he'd would do barrel connecters and heat shrink instead of solder. He said that's what the dealer does for harness fixes but he's a Honda tech, sound correct ?

Mad Cow
04-25-2013, 07:53 AM
THX

I didn't have wiring diagram. My mech friend said he'd would do barrel connecters and heat shrink instead of solder. He said that's what the dealer does for harness fixes but he's a Honda tech, sound correct ?

It's the quick easy way, personally I solder everything because it's so much more compact and I know it won't come apart. How far down the harness did it rip? If it's close to the connector you can just trim the shielding down a bit so you don't have to mess with it.

V A4 Life
04-25-2013, 08:28 AM
It's the quick easy way, personally I solder everything because it's so much more compact and I know it won't come apart. How far down the harness did it rip? If it's close to the connector you can just trim the shielding down a bit so you don't have to mess with it.

I think the harness wire pulled right out the spades in the plug. I've got about 5 to 7 inches till bunch going to the harness. I want to leave more than enough for shop to solder on the correct plug, I'm just trying to start it and get it off the TARMAC (airport security) and to the shop. I'll tow if not started today.

THX MadCow

QuattroGinger
04-25-2013, 09:16 AM
i need to do some very similar work, PO destroyed MAF plug housing and alternator plug housing. now im having problems with my oil sensor plug. going to hit up junk yard soon and try clipping these pieces for resolder. hope you get yours figured out.

V A4 Life
04-25-2013, 09:51 AM
i need to do some very similar work, PO destroyed MAF plug housing and alternator plug housing. now im having problems with my oil sensor plug. going to hit up junk yard soon and try clipping these pieces for resolder. hope you get yours figured out.

Crazy Rays and a few other good yards in MD I hear, I went to Wildwater in Staford and they had 5 or 6 98-99 A4's. No good seats, turbos or ECU's. A few nice vac hoses with easy access. Good spot for VC and Intakes. Thanks for the support, I need it.

Back to the basics, Fuses ... AIR FUEL SPARK[wrench]

QuattroGinger
04-25-2013, 11:04 AM
yeah i been there quite a bit. thats Pick-A-Part. they also have another lot 20 mins down 95 in fredericksburg. my buddy went couple weeks ago and got brand new pair of ecodes for $40. someone left them in their b5. crazy

V A4 Life
04-30-2013, 08:53 AM
Thanks to Walky and thenj3 for your help to me and the this forum as a whole. You guys are true assets and I'm glad this place isn't just somewhere for people to " flame on " without anything to add.

The rectangle plug was from a 97 A4 not a 98 or 99 as I said earlier, and I used a grey D plug from a 98 V6 with a new (ebay) CPS and all is well. I'm logging the next few days but the A4 cranked and started first try. I idled down to 800 like the old days and all lights are out.

I have a DA9 integra and the 'ZINE crushes both popular boards in use. THANKS AGAIN GUYS!!!!