PDA

View Full Version : 5spd to 6spd Question

01audia4
04-24-2013, 07:08 AM
Hey guys quick question-

Yes I did search but it seems most of the threads are out dated and not featured with a price I able to get the 6speed at. Also most are swaps from the 01E s4 or A4 2.8 Trans.

I have a chance to get a 04 1.8t Quattro 6speed transmission for under 500- What a steal right? Low miles good gears.

Regardless,

If I was looking into this swap would I still need to change the rear diff and diff mounts etc. Axles I assume are a tad bit different but that's fine. New clutch obviously?
Doubt I can put mine in there-

Anything else I should be looking at while pricing out this option.

No I am not making big power so I don't need the 6speed. However at the price, if I can do it for under 8-900 there is no reason for me not to, I drive over 50Mi highway daily.
Thank you,
Stefan

M-Hood
04-24-2013, 07:57 AM
You will have to change the rear diff if the 6 speed transmission you are getting has anything other then a 3.889 final drive. I think the B6 A4 1.8t 6 speed did have a 4.11 final while the B7 A4 2.0t 6 speed has the 3.889.

If that 6 speed has the same mounting spots then you should be able to mount it the same way you would if you were doing a B5 S4 01E swap.

You can use the clutch you already have, it will work with the 6 speed transmission.

You will need to find a drive shaft and since that transmission was never offered on a B5 car you will need to figure out if there is one that will fit. You can try to see if the B5 S4 2.7t drive shaft will work but the transmissions might not be the same length. You will not be able to use your stock 01A drive shaft.

BTW the 6 speed isn't going to get better gas mileage.

walky_talky20
04-24-2013, 08:10 AM
Reasons this particular swap is not easy (this is "AFAIK", other members please feel free to correct me on any and all items):

- You need a custom driveshaft. The 02x transmission was never factory installed in a B5 (mostly because it didn't exist, among other reasons) and therefore there is no factory driveshaft for that application.
- It has no provision for a Vehicle Speed Sensor (VSS). You may be able to swap stuff around from the 01E, which is similar, but I've not seen anybody actually try it.
- It is not bolt in. There aren't any side mounts on it for bolting into a B5. You would probably have to use the B6 crossmember, which may or may not bolt in to a B5.

Figure out those 3 things and you're probably ok. Probably.

Reasons why you should do it:
- Looking at the ratios, it's pretty much the same as the B5 1.8T, except it adds a super nice 6th gear for cruising.
- You do not need a new clutch, all that stuff is the same. Shifter linkage is different, but you should be able to swap in the shifter box and rods from a B6.
- The final drive is 3.889, so you do not need to change the rear differential (you just need to hook up to it...with your custom driveshaft)

The 02x appears to be longer than an 01E, so a B5 S4 driveshaft is not a solution. Here's a photo of 01E (left) and 02x (right):

http://www.motorgeek.com/download/file.php?id=34122&t=1

From this thread:
http://www.motorgeek.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=50168

EDIT: Mike beat me to some of this stuff while I was doing the necessary research. Bah, too slow.

Scotty@Advanced
04-24-2013, 08:25 AM
Reasons this particular swap is not easy (this is "AFAIK", other members please feel free to correct me on any and all items):

- You need a custom driveshaft. The 02x transmission was never factory installed in a B5 (mostly because it didn't exist, among other reasons) and therefore there is no factory driveshaft for that application.
- It has no provision for a Vehicle Speed Sensor (VSS). You may be able to swap stuff around from the 01E, which is similar, but I've not seen anybody actually try it.
- It is not bolt in. There aren't any side mounts on it for bolting into a B5. You would probably have to use the B6 crossmember, which may or may not bolt in to a B5.

Figure out those 3 things and you're probably ok. Probably.

Reasons why you should do it:
- Looking at the ratios, it's pretty much the same as the B5 1.8T, except it adds a super nice 6th gear for cruising.
- You do not need a new clutch, all that stuff is the same. Shifter linkage is different, but you should be able to swap in the shifter box and rods from a B6.
- The final drive is 3.889, so you do not need to change the rear differential (you just need to hook up to it...with your custom driveshaft)

This pretty much sums it up.. However I will add:

There is no way to fit a VSS to the 02X.. The B6 cars get the speed signal from the ABS.. I've heard rumors that it might be possible with rewiring and recoding to get the cluster to recognize the ABS signals.

Also the 02X is much longer than the 01E/01A.. You might be able to use an automatic drive shaft as it's the shortest of the prop shafts available for the B5..

You'd have to use the B6 style mounting cradle for the as the 02X has insufficient provisions for side mounted brackets.

Also you'll need to modify the B6 02X shifter.

Also the 02X is par regarding strength as the 01A/012, gear widths are similar to the 01A, but the 1-2 syncro rings are a much better multi cone design.

jvega21
04-24-2013, 08:27 AM
In other words. Stick to the 2.8 5spd for your highway miles

walky_talky20
04-24-2013, 11:11 AM
But if you pull it off: instant Legend status.

Poopie
04-24-2013, 11:14 AM
i hate driving my 6 speed CC or my old TT which was also a 6 speed and getting into the wagon and churning 4k rpm on the highway. reach for shifter and realize i'm out of gears. haha.