PDA

View Full Version : Boulder/Denver

AstleyJ
04-23-2013, 11:04 AM
Wondering where you guys go to get work done on your cars? I am finally looking to start modding and don't really know what the reputable shops around here are. I have been getting the service done at Stammler where I bought the car... I'm guessing I could offer the guys over there to do some of the more simple stuff like an exhaust install but as far as suspension and some other things that I am not confident enough to do, I'm not sure they would touch it. Any thoughts and help would be much appreciated!

McGovs2.7TB5
04-23-2013, 11:08 AM
3zero3, Bluewater Perfromance, Berg Performance, Auto Sport Werks. Listed in no particular order and all on the North side of the Metro area.

Firefox250
04-23-2013, 11:49 AM
AutoHaus Boulder

drumnjuny
04-23-2013, 01:16 PM
apikol is also very reputable in boulder

drumnjuny
04-23-2013, 01:17 PM
but you'd be better off doing the mods yourself and saving all the money haha. :) or getting help from forum members

FWIW stammler will do performance mod installs in their shop. if u go there talk to eric loch he's a nice guy

AstleyJ
04-23-2013, 02:23 PM
but you'd be better off doing the mods yourself and saving all the money haha. :) or getting help from forum members

FWIW stammler will do performance mod installs in their shop. if u go there talk to eric loch he's a nice guy

Thanks for the info. Yeah, my father-in-law had a garage in Denver with a lift, however he is moving it to his home garage and it is going to be out of service for the next 3-4 months. I wouldn't mind doing the exhaust and stuff myself but I am a little shakier when it gets to things like suspension etc.. He could probably do it but the work is no guarantee... haha. He likes restoring old Citroen's so the newer stuff may throw him off a bit also.

I will probably reach out to Erich to start and go from there.

Heavy Winter
04-23-2013, 06:20 PM
I like the folks at Salta: http://saltamotorsports.com/ Small shop, plenty of racing and mod experience. Cool people, not sure about anyplace in Boulder. I've usually dropped my car there and then taken the RTD back to BLDR, works OK if you're not on a tight schedule.

Ditto on the DIY advice. The more you can do, the more you save $$ for the stuff you can't/don't want to do.

Good luck!

youS4
04-29-2013, 12:01 PM
So I made the calls to most of the shops listed in this thread, and I narrowed it down to Berg or Blue Water. Anybody have strong arguments for or against either shop? From what I've got from talking to both shops is that the rep at Berg was super knowledgeable and straight-forward, and the rep at Blue Water was really chill, friendly, and has a reputation to back them up.

Greedo
04-29-2013, 12:32 PM
My only argument is that Jeff and Aaron both come from Audi dealers, then Aaron from 3ZERO3 before Berg. The history makes me confident with them; plus, as stated, they have worked on my car before and are always helpful and very communicative (which is huge for me).

Only person I actually know at Blue Water is Ben (the ginger); he knows his stuff as well, but he's very new to their staff. And the hollywood chick is cute, if that's an consolation for doing business. She's nice too!

youS4
04-29-2013, 03:43 PM
Thanks for the info, Greedo. I asked how much a lowering spring install would cost (among other things I want/need to get done) as a baseline to get through conversations quick, and was shocked at how much it varies from shop to shop! [o_o] I got anywhere from ~$400 to ~$900. YEAH...all of the price quotes were without an alignment except for one shop, and that one shop was average priced between the 2 extremes [eek]

quickspeed
04-29-2013, 04:13 PM
$400 to install springs is some heroin prices

youS4
04-29-2013, 04:33 PM
$400 to install springs is some heroin prices

Unfortunately, no one would go lower than $400. I'm the type to DIY, but I've read how difficult it can get or the problems people faced while doing suspension work on the B8 platform. Plus, braking and suspension/alignment stuff are things I really do not want to mess around.

drumnjuny
04-29-2013, 05:57 PM
PM Martin (mec) he might be able to help u out. other members that might help... jordan (thata4t), seth (seal66), mikey (quickspeed), mikehawk666

1 hr per side, 100$/ hour, doesn't seem like a bad deal to me from a shop. from personal experience i know B7 rears are a total bitch, but you have a b8 so idk lol. but i bet you could pay a forum member 6 hours x 50$/hr lol and save 25%