PDA

View Full Version : Fuel filter just kicked my butt

Newengsurf401
04-22-2013, 06:16 PM
You guys weren't kidding. That job stinks (literally). I did the trick by prying down the tank and sticking in a piece of wood to hold it out of place to give me some room to work.

But what I don't understand is after all four bolts are taken out of the body of the car what else is holding the tank up? I expected the tank to drop so i had my jack ready under it. Also, how could you ever reuse the bracket that holds the filter to tank? I couldn't pry the tank far enough down to attempt to get a torque on it, not to mention it was all rotted so I just broke the plastic and zip tied the new filter in place.

Also, I know I'm probably going to get some shit for this, but I bought my fuel filter at autozone versus going OEM. It works good for now but i had a hard time getting one one of the banjos to seal properly. It cape with copper crush washer but it leaked pretty bad. I ended up just tightening it hard as could with a breaker bar and its not leaking now [:(]

hanzy
04-22-2013, 06:23 PM
You guys weren't kidding. That job stinks (literally). I did the trick by prying down the tank and sticking in a piece of wood to hold it out of place to give me some room to work.

But what I don't understand is after all four bolts are taken out of the body of the car what else is holding the tank up? I expected the tank to drop so i had my jack ready under it. Also, how could you ever reuse the bracket that holds the filter to tank? I couldn't pry the tank far enough down to attempt to get a torque on it, not to mention it was all rotted so I just broke the plastic and zip tied the new filter in place.

Also, I know I'm probably going to get some shit for this, but I bought my fuel filter at autozone versus going OEM. It works good for now but i had a hard time getting one one of the banjos to seal properly. It cape with copper crush washer but it leaked pretty bad. I ended up just tightening it hard as could with a breaker bar and its not leaking now [:(]

Should be two washers one for each side of the fitting.

Not clear in your post if you used two or just one.

Newengsurf401
04-22-2013, 06:26 PM
yep, four all together

BlackLock_A4
04-22-2013, 06:28 PM
Is it frowned upon to get the filter from Autozone?

98A4TurboAWD
04-22-2013, 06:36 PM
Is it frowned upon to get the filter from Autozone?

With Audi people I wouldn't be surprised. The elitist attitude on this forum probably scares a ton of people into buying overpriced dealer items. I had a guy tell me my engine was doomed because I put in Prestone any make any model.

The job isn't bad if you just "break" the bracket right away. I wasted a lot of time trying to get the bolt out before I said screw it and just broke the plastic holder.

I got a Bosch filter from my local store for 17 bucks. I used an impact on the 4 13mm bolts that strap the tank down so to do that only took about 2 minutes.

If you don't waste time on that plastic bracket bolt you can do the job in like 20 minutes.

Newengsurf401
04-22-2013, 06:46 PM
What else holds the tank up besides those straps? I was a little nervous about prying too hard on the tank and having it rip out all together

98A4TurboAWD
04-22-2013, 07:09 PM
What else holds the tank up besides those straps? I was a little nervous about prying too hard on the tank and having it rip out all together

I have no idea but in taking it off I was aware that it would not come down after the straps were lowered.

catbed
04-22-2013, 07:12 PM
With Audi people I wouldn't be surprised. The elitist attitude on this forum probably scares a ton of people into buying overpriced dealer items. I had a guy tell me my engine was doomed because I put in Prestone any make any model.

The job isn't bad if you just "break" the bracket right away. I wasted a lot of time trying to get the bolt out before I said screw it and just broke the plastic holder.

I got a Bosch filter from my local store for 17 bucks. I used an impact on the 4 13mm bolts that strap the tank down so to do that only took about 2 minutes.

If you don't waste time on that plastic bracket bolt you can do the job in like 20 minutes.

The reason people tell you not use store bought coolant is because mixing coolants of different types can form solids. If you completely flush the system you can run any coolant you want.

Autozone/pepdudes/advance filter will serve you just fine if it's a daily driver. But as with everything on these cars, money buys quality, as you saw with the leaking issue.

grmnmusl
04-22-2013, 11:29 PM
AutoZone doesn’t make parts Audi doesn’t make parts.
AutoZone can get you a Bosch Fuel filter it’s in the parts lookup if you ask or have a knowledgeable counterman.

They can order any part once you have the number, don't know why people
always bash AutoZone and CARQUEST over dealer they are just resellers like Best Buy.

redline380
04-22-2013, 11:54 PM
They can order any part once you have the number, don't know why people
always bash AutoZone and CARQUEST over dealer they are just resellers like Best Buy.

agreed. they are called businesses. the buy and sell for a profit. in return, the consuming gets a product available to them readily. i've got no problem with autozone or whatever parts. i just happen to be able to find better deals online. if i could get a part cheaper at autozone damn right im going there. unless of course i need it NOW, then i'll go there first (actually my preference is auto value, buts thats another story). some parts i'll pay extra for quality, some i dont see the need. its called discretion. use it.

as for the coolant, yeah dont mix it. only reason i bought my coolant at the dealership is cause i didnt want to waste time ordering it online and i couldnt find another local supplier of g12. i couldve just flushed it multiple times and ran ethylene glycol, but i didnt want to flush it four times just to save maybe $10 in coolant.

zandrew
04-23-2013, 12:16 AM
Some cars can run only certain coolant due to reactions with certain parts. Subaru you need a specific coolant on some and I know on my old ae86 it had to be red or it eats out the heater cores. It was like that on several mid 80s Toyota.

It drives me nuts when people think everything has to be oem. I just bought a AC delco fuel pump for my audi for less then$40 shipped. Pulled it out of the box and it is a Bosch 040 fuel pump. It literally says bosch right on it....

98A4TurboAWD
04-23-2013, 06:59 AM
agreed. they are called businesses. the buy and sell for a profit. in return, the consuming gets a product available to them readily. i've got no problem with autozone or whatever parts. i just happen to be able to find better deals online. if i could get a part cheaper at autozone damn right im going there. unless of course i need it NOW, then i'll go there first (actually my preference is auto value, buts thats another story). some parts i'll pay extra for quality, some i dont see the need. its called discretion. use it.

as for the coolant, yeah dont mix it. only reason i bought my coolant at the dealership is cause i didnt want to waste time ordering it online and i couldnt find another local supplier of g12. i couldve just flushed it multiple times and ran ethylene glycol, but i didnt want to flush it four times just to save maybe $10 in coolant.

I don't think you guys are aware of some of the mentalities around here. This person put up a link to a coolant test, and I made it clear that I did not mix the coolants. There are people who believe if you don't use expensive ATF, coolant, and power steering fluid that you will end up in dire straights.