PDA

View Full Version : oil pressure issues need help so i can go home

jvega21
04-22-2013, 05:35 PM
As of now I'm stuck in Cali. Need to go to phoenix. Oil pressure has me concerned. when engine is cold. I hit full pressure, 70-80 psi at 3k rpm no matter what gear. But once the car is at operating temp, and the oil hot, the oil pressure will float around 50-60 psi at 3k in 5th gear doing around 65-75 mph.
Could my oil be thinning out that much?
I don't think my pick up tube is clogged, or else I would have oil issues no matter what. Or when it gets hot the sludge moves around and clogs it. I'm lost.
dont have the tools to remove the oil pan. And at this point I don't have the time. Need to be in phoenix tonight.
I'm tempted to just throw in Lucas Oil Stabilizer and hit the road.

I'm running Rotella T6 with a Mobil 1 filter.

Seerlah
04-22-2013, 05:47 PM
Did your oil light come on? Oil pressure is def low, but you should be able to make it back home, as long as you keep an eye on your oil pressure. Then when you get home, drop that pan and replace the pick up tube (might as well do the pump while you're in there). Bentley specs for AEB/ATW:

idle (oil warm): 14.5-50.75 psi
3000 rpm (oil warm): 72.5-101.5 psi

Oddly enough, these are the AWM Bentley specs:

idle (oil warm): at least 19psi
at least 2000 rpm (oil warm): 50-65 psi

So, you are def within AWM specs but out of range on AEB/ATW specs. Seeing how the blocks are damn near close enough, I would say you are fine, but you def want to look into it. I assume it will only get worse on your drive back home. Plus Bentley specs can many times be out of whack when it comes to specs like these.

jvega21
04-22-2013, 05:57 PM
Thanks for the numbers. My light came on once at idle, I was lucky enough it came on at the Audi parking lot. They checked it out and said pressure was good so I replaced the sensor and it never came back. Light doesn't come on at all when driving. Would the Lucas stuff help in this situation? But I will definitely change all that out in the coming weeks. Going to do an electric fan and motor mounts. Might as well take the time for the oil pan.
so it should be good putting 300 miles on it at only 50-70 psi??

Seerlah
04-22-2013, 06:01 PM
Should be fine. The Lucas Oil Stabilizer actually thickens up the oil. Not thicken, but make the oil more like bond with itself. Having your engine being starved from a clogged pick up screen is not going to have Lucas Oil Stabilizer help. Your issue lies with getting oil into the pump.

jvega21
04-22-2013, 06:10 PM
Interesting. I figured it would help keep everything lubricated even with low pressure. But you guys definitely know more than I do. no Lucas this time around. if it burns up, it better do it right when I get home. Its the least my car could do. Its bad enough its giving me das wienerschnitzel, it could just spit on a little so it doesn't hurt so bad.

Seerlah
04-22-2013, 06:33 PM
You know, never thought to look at it that way. Think you are right.

jvega21
04-22-2013, 06:47 PM
Which part. the Lucas or the spit?

walky_talky20
04-22-2013, 07:01 PM
60psi at 3k is plenty. I'd be more interested in the pressure at even higher rpms. 4k, 5k, 6k. If it can still make ~100psi with the oil hot, you're pickup is clean enough and I wouldn't worry about it.

The marked pressure drop as the oil heats up is very normal. On a cold morning I get 90psi at idle. After it warms up it goes down to 25-ish. Oil temp changes things a lot.

jvega21
04-22-2013, 07:13 PM
It fluctuates between 50-60 at 3k. I decided im going to borrow my sisters car and not risk it. I'll order my parts to go to my moms and come back with all my tools and other goodies and make a weekend out of it. As of right now its my only mode of transportation. And I would rather not blow it up. I have motor mounts and VC gasket and an EFK to install. And if I can't get around to doing it myself I'll suck it up and pay Mike at PureMs to do it :-(

Seerlah
04-22-2013, 07:17 PM
You should be fine. Just monitor your oil pressures. It is sitting at idle and your pressure drops to like 10psi is when you really need to be worried. FWIW, I made a trip from NY to Myrtle Beach couple years ago. Light came on the way back home like 5 min from my house (crazy). Engine sounded bad, and I did the mistake of just continuing to drive home. I got lucky and my engine wasn't damaged after replacing the pick up tube.

jvega21
04-22-2013, 07:39 PM
I'll just play it safe. so far my car has been a pain full of surprises. but that's what I get for trying to resurrect a junk yard car. Chasing gremlins is not fun.

.Mad Hatter.
04-23-2013, 06:24 AM
I was gonna say; mine stays pinned at 60psi at 3k while cruising hot. This is not an issue. I typically idle right at 15psi too. The bigger concern would be when that number decreases (even if it is at the lower end of the recommended range).

I would be very interested to see what your pickup looks like. I've often wondered as my car tends to operate at the low end of optimal range.