PDA

View Full Version : UK speaker adapter question (with pics)

northcarohio
04-21-2013, 01:28 PM
Hi guys,

I ordered a set of the UK adapters to help install my 5 1/4 inch Infinity Reference speakers up front, but when test fitting them there appears to be an issue. All 4 holes line up fine but a couple of the screw mounts rest on the rubber surrounding the cone. Am I right in believing this will wreck the speaker and cause it to sound like crap? Anybody else run into this issue? I could just run some extra washers to space it out from the adapter but then I'm worried depth into the door panel will become an issue. Maybe I could just dremel out those posts? Just curious what others have done.

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/04/22/rymadupe.jpg

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/04/22/u2y6udeg.jpg

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/04/22/9u2u3u2a.jpg

woolveren
04-21-2013, 08:41 PM
This may help..

http://www.audizine.com/forum/showthread.php/469610-Speaker-help

ElonA4
04-22-2013, 09:42 AM
That does not look good. If the post breaks through the foam around the cone the speaker will be ruined. Let me know what you end up with because i was looking into these adapters to run my infinity speakers also.

northcarohio
04-22-2013, 10:34 AM
That does not look good. If the post breaks through the foam around the cone the speaker will be ruined. Let me know what you end up with because i was looking into these adapters to run my infinity speakers also.

Yea it is pretty disconcerting. I am going to dremel them down a mm or 2 so they don't interfere. Otherwise the plastic surrounding should create a pretty good seal. I got these speakers in the cheap and and it is too late to return them now so I am just going to run them and see what happens!

juxsa
04-23-2013, 09:24 PM
I got the CT25AU03 adapters along with infinity reference speakers and I can say I have the same issue. I may end up having to dremel a few MM from those posts too. I'm not doing the install for another 2 weeks though.

anothersilver
04-24-2013, 02:49 PM
I ran into the same problem, I am going to try creating wood spacers to seal the speaker to the door panel. Will post if it works.

Stranger
04-24-2013, 03:22 PM
Can't have the rubber dome resting or touching anything, on full excision it will eventually cause problems and rip. I have 5 1/4 up front, I drilled 2 new holes into the speaker surrounds, NOT the rubber dome piece. Works fine, and still have about 5mm of sealing surface before the rubber surround. Make any sense? i can get pics

northcarohio
04-24-2013, 09:26 PM
Can't have the rubber dome resting or touching anything, on full excision it will eventually cause problems and rip. I have 5 1/4 up front, I drilled 2 new holes into the speaker surrounds, NOT the rubber dome piece. Works fine, and still have about 5mm of sealing surface before the rubber surround. Make any sense? i can get pics

Yea I'm not sure if I catch your drift. Mind posting a couple pics?

Stranger
04-24-2013, 09:41 PM
Yeah, ill pull a panel off n take pics tomorrow. I don't use any adapters, and it will void your speaker warranty. My speakers have 4 tabs, stock surface has 3. I used one one tab from the speaker and lined up the other two into the speaker surround, drilled 2 new hols n called it a day. They are into the rubber piece right after the dome on the speaker. Lol this probably makes no sense, upload pics tomorrow

Sent from my C5155 using Tapatalk 2

northcarohio
04-24-2013, 10:12 PM
Yeah, ill pull a panel off n take pics tomorrow. I don't use any adapters, and it will void your speaker warranty. My speakers have 4 tabs, stock surface has 3. I used one one tab from the speaker and lined up the other two into the speaker surround, drilled 2 new hols n called it a day. They are into the rubber piece right after the dome on the speaker. Lol this probably makes no sense, upload pics tomorrow

Sent from my C5155 using Tapatalk 2

Actually I think I know what you're saying. I looked into this method when I tried to install these the FIRST time. it didn't really look like it would work well or create a seal, and I think depth might be an issue with how big the magnets are on these Infinity References. But maybe you're doing something different. I would love to take a look

Stranger
04-24-2013, 10:25 PM
I have rtv sealing the speaker to the door. These are open air speakers though which function well in an open air environment, no real way to seal a door without doing a pod behind the speakers and closing the air off. My explanations suck and while what i did might look ghetto I can assure it's functional. We did this all the time in the stereo shop I worked in when mdf rings weren't feasible.

ElonA4
05-06-2013, 05:22 AM
Any update?

northcarohio
05-06-2013, 11:20 AM
Any update?

Sorry I ended up replying in the other similar thread going on right now. I installed the speakers this weekend and they sound great. I had to dremel the adapters like crazy to get them to work with my Infinitys. First, I took out those two posts completely, and then I rounded out the inside ring at a 45 degree angle to ensure the rubber surround would never hit. After that I sealed everything with a clear silicone glue and let it dry before installing in the doors. It was a tight fit but depth wasn't an issue. I used velcro to secure the crossovers to the inside of the door card - basically on the back of each door pocket. Its a smooth plastic surface and will be easy to see with the cards off.

The adapters work fine, but with how much modification needed to make it fit it might be easier to just use some MDP and make them yourself.

Sorry I didn't take any pictures of the install - hope that's helpful!