PDA

View Full Version : timing belt torque specs

Koldham
04-20-2013, 09:09 AM
so im doing a timing belt and water pump job. what are the torque specs for the oil pump drive bolt and the water pump pulley bolts. my manual is a chiltons and doesn't have much of anything as far as torque numbers. any info is appreciated.

walky_talky20
04-20-2013, 02:46 PM
Intermediate shaft sprocket bolt: 59 ft/lbs
Water pump pulley bolts: 15 ft/lbs (tighten evenly while turning pulley to seat belt properly before reaching final torque).

Seerlah
04-20-2013, 04:07 PM
The IM shaft bolt I would think is the only important one. I personally use the feeler method on the other bolts. Some may digress, but it's how I do it.

Koldham
04-23-2013, 02:45 PM
wow really? i actually found the torque in a different part of the manual and for the oil pump gear, it was like 25nm or something

Seerlah
04-23-2013, 02:49 PM
Went by the feeler method when I installed that too (I mean 06A oil pump). Or maybe I did torque that to spec [confused]. Only things I have ever torqued to spec on my engine are head bolts, main bolts, rod bolts, crank bolt, cam bolt, cam sensor window bolt, and spark plugs. I have done a fair amount of work on my car, and used the feeler method on everything else. Others would not agree with how I go about it, but meh. Even went with the feeler method for my cam cap bolts.

walky_talky20
04-23-2013, 03:02 PM
wow really? i actually found the torque in a different part of the manual and for the oil pump gear, it was like 25nm or something

You sure about that? I think it's supposed to be torqued to more than that. My value came from Mitchell OnDemand. And the Passat guys are agreeing:

Replace the intermediate shaft sprocket, using a screwdriver/drift to lock it in place while you tighten the central bolt. Tighten to 60 ft-lbs/80 N-m.
From here: http://www.taligentx.com/passat/maintenance/timingbelt/

Kromodus
04-23-2013, 03:23 PM
Went by the feeler method when I installed that too (I mean 06A oil pump). Or maybe I did torque that to spec [confused]. Only things I have ever torqued to spec on my engine are head bolts, main bolts, rod bolts, crank bolt, cam bolt, cam sensor window bolt, and spark plugs. I have done a fair amount of work on my car, and used the feeler method on everything else. Others would not agree with how I go about it, but meh. Even went with the feeler method for my cam cap bolts.

Dad, is that you? lol.

My father owns his own shop and has been wrenching for almost 50 years and many years ago he explained that he switched to the feeler method for everything but the most important components like you mentioned. He says in his early days he used to torque everything that had a torque spec but now it saves time and and hassle and he's never had a customer return because a bolt backed out on him, lol. He grins at me when he sees me torque my valve cover nuts- must think I'm a real rookie, ha. I guess after many years of working on cars one can closely gauge how much palm torque is 10nm and how much is 50nm, etc. Just wanted to share that you are definitely not alone in your method. [up] [wrench]

walky_talky20
04-23-2013, 04:54 PM
A buddy of mine is a mechanic who also uses torques by feel. But he does it in the weirdest way: as if all bolts are torque-to-yield or something. He applies force to a certain extent, then always an extra ~1/8th or 1/4 turn. And he does that extra bit very fast. It is quite cringe-worthy to behold. I nag him about this a lot, but he always says it looks bad, but he's "got this".

When I do it, I'm much more reserved, I guess. I sort of simulate a torque wrench how you slowly approach the desired torque and then stop. Using a torque wrench helps you to hone this skill initially. When you are torquing things and you can predict the moment before the wrench clicks, that's when you know you don't need it anymore. You've got the touch.

Seerlah
04-23-2013, 05:09 PM
I snapped my fair amount of bolts to semi-know where the threshold is. And I def don't torque things too loose. I fear torquing things too tight by the feeler method versus torquing them too lose.

thenj3
04-23-2013, 09:03 PM
i torque almost every bolt, then again i have $1500 in torque wrenches so i better put my money to use

Seerlah
04-24-2013, 03:02 AM
You've been trained too, though. I'm a driveway mechanic.