PDA

View Full Version : What Bov?

Detroitfire23
04-19-2013, 06:02 AM
What r u guys using? Good/bad ones?

AudiSport12
04-19-2013, 06:14 AM
Don't use a blow of valve. Keep with a diverter valve like a Forge 007 or something similar. Our cars need the air recirculated. BOV's will make your car run like shit.

Detroitfire23
04-19-2013, 06:21 AM
Even If I'm going to run a maf-less setup?

redline380
04-19-2013, 06:51 AM
Don't use a blow of valve. Keep with a diverter valve like a Forge 007 or something similar. Our cars need the air recirculated. BOV's will make your car run like shit.

i was gonna say he didnt give us enough info, so that would be an assumption.

i run a forge 001, and im not a huge fan. the piston kept sticking open in cold weather. i bought it though because of price. im not completely unhappy, and it works so its fine.

the other factors would be what kind of flange you need to deal with. the forge is a simple 1 inch port, so i just run a tee adapter right off the throttle body. made for a simple solution. and yes, i am mafless and loving it. haters gonna hate

bmoreS4
04-19-2013, 06:57 AM
Are people really still posting this question? [headbang]

redline380
04-19-2013, 06:59 AM
Are people really still posting this question? [headbang]

you must be lost. click the link to find your way home http://www.audizine.com/forum/forumdisplay.php/3-B5-S4-RS4

bw86
04-19-2013, 07:06 AM
I'm using an ssqv right now - probably going with a tial in the near future.

AudiSport12
04-19-2013, 07:59 AM
Yep, assumption was based on the lack of info

Cgoon009
04-19-2013, 08:18 AM

Hey man, I would highly recommend a DV, like Forge 007, BOVs dont really work with closed loop systems. Now that's not to say you can't make it work, but why bother? From a performance view, DVs are better because its going back into the system. BOVs just dump it outside the loop. If you are after that sweet sweet sound, a DV with a cold air intake will sound the same. Check it out: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2EdDflM5Osk

M-Hood
04-19-2013, 09:03 AM
Hey man, I would highly recommend a DV, like Forge 007, BOVs dont really work with closed loop systems. Now that's not to say you can't make it work, but why bother? From a performance view, DVs are better because its going back into the system. BOVs just dump it outside the loop. If you are after that sweet sweet sound, a DV with a cold air intake will sound the same. Check it out: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2EdDflM5Osk

Did you happen to miss his post where he said "Mafless"?

If you are going to go BOV just get yourself a Tial. I have been running a Tial 50mm on my A4 1.8t for about 8 years now.

Seerlah
04-19-2013, 09:07 AM
I am running the Forge 001, and used to run the 004. Eventually I will upgrade to a Tial unit. Was running the Forge 007 when I had a MAF.

Cgoon009
04-19-2013, 09:46 AM
Did you happen to miss his post where he said "Mafless"?

Why yes, yes I did.

Detroitfire23
04-19-2013, 10:43 AM
So the cheapest I found one a Tial 50mm is $225, I had no idea they were that much!

Seerlah
04-19-2013, 10:59 AM
Tial is not cheap. That is why I am not running one now. Paid like $114 shipped brand new for my Forge 001. Also, would you mind sending me a PM or post it here, as to where you found it at that price. Usually price range is like $260. Or was that a used one on ebay or something?

bmoreS4
04-19-2013, 11:07 AM
you must be lost. click the link to find your way home http://www.audizine.com/forum/forumdisplay.php/3-B5-S4-RS4

http://i.imgur.com/C2zJVHk.png

M-Hood
04-19-2013, 11:37 AM
So the cheapest I found one a Tial 50mm is $225, I had no idea they were that much!

The Tial isn't even the most expensive BOV, the Turbo Smart Race Port BOV retails for $299. Better to spend a little more now then end up spending more later when you end up going thru a few different BOV's. Thing is that most people that go with the cheaper BOV's usually just end up with a Tial sooner or later.

As for the Tial price, have to take into account it comes with a flange and a V-band style clamp.

BTW watch out there are China copies of the Tial products out there.

A4Rob
04-19-2013, 01:41 PM
Tial Q. All others are annoying.

b5a4gt28
04-19-2013, 01:56 PM
+1 for the Tial as well. If mafless, you can essentially run any BOV you want. The Tial is a proven, quality unit that has been around years with only one revision. The price of $225 gives you everything you'll need to use it as long as you have different intercooler piping than what the car came with from the factory. Basically you need aluminum piping to weld the BOV flange onto.

bw86
04-19-2013, 03:32 PM
Tial Q. All others are annoying.

After removing the stupid fin that makes the ssqv whistle - its actually bearable.

Nateness
04-19-2013, 05:11 PM
I'm very pleased with my synchronic DV. RAI sells them in a kit to fit in the stock location. Smooth/fast reacting with a good seal. My peak boost pressure increased after I switched from the APR R1.

I imagine that the synchronic BOV would perform just as well.

A4F3V3R
04-19-2013, 07:51 PM
Speaking of mafless, is this possible to run mafless with stock k03 just with a proper tune?

redline380
04-19-2013, 08:12 PM
Speaking of mafless, is this possible to run mafless with stock k03 just with a proper tune?

anything is possible. practical? no. a good idea? no. mafless in general (unless standalone) is generally a bad idea. this coming from a guy who just sold his maf.

you could literally unplug you maf from even a narrowband ecu and it will work, a ton rich, but it will work. youll need to do more research to see just what it takes to go mafless and what other sensors are used to make up for the lack of one

Seerlah
04-20-2013, 02:10 AM
Reason narrow band guys can't go MAFless is because here is no sensor in the system to measure the air content. That is what the wideband primary o2 sensor on the ME7 does, and why we can delete the MAF. On the AEB, it is necessary because that is the only device that can do it versus the AWM+ that has both a MAF and wideband o2 sensor. When you unplug the MAF, the ECU has no idea how much air is being introduced into the combustion chamber. So, it dumps a bunch of fuel because it would rather have you run rich than lean. But still has no idea how much air is being introduced into the system.

Detroitfire23
05-07-2013, 07:46 PM
So it sounds like the Tial is the way to go, but what about Greddy? They seem to be decent, anyone use them?

Nateness
05-07-2013, 07:57 PM
I ran the Greddy Type S for a few years on a different car. Would not do again. Slow and leaky. Tial is ok, but my best experience so far has been with the synchronic DV. Even faster than the HKS SSQV that I run on my FD RX7.

QuattroGinger
05-08-2013, 04:12 AM
im a fan of 007. been running for 5 years.

.Mad Hatter.
05-08-2013, 04:25 AM
MAF cars can still run a BOV, I run the 004 and while it does cause a dip in RPMs at idle it certainly does not make the car un-driveable.

GrapeBandit
05-08-2013, 10:14 PM
how about HKS race type II bov? I have one for sale if interested. ..lmk

c0r3y.af
05-09-2013, 05:48 AM
Reason narrow band guys can't go MAFless is because here is no sensor in the system to measure the air content. That is what the wideband primary o2 sensor on the ME7 does, and why we can delete the MAF. On the AEB, it is necessary because that is the only device that can do it versus the AWM+ that has both a MAF and wideband o2 sensor. When you unplug the MAF, the ECU has no idea how much air is being introduced into the combustion chamber. So, it dumps a bunch of fuel because it would rather have you run rich than lean. But still has no idea how much air is being introduced into the system.

Blow-through MAF is always an option but nobody is willing to write a tune for it. I want it really, really bad.

xdewaynex
05-09-2013, 06:19 AM
Blow-through MAF is always an option but nobody is willing to write a tune for it. I want it really, really bad.

If I can ever get an appointment with C2 Motorsports (backed up at the moment) Im going to ask about this, as their tuner has a turbo BMW with VW ecu and I believe is running a blow through maf.

c0r3y.af
05-09-2013, 07:43 AM
If I can ever get an appointment with C2 Motorsports (backed up at the moment) Im going to ask about this, as their tuner has a turbo BMW with VW ecu and I believe is running a blow through maf.

I tried making an appointment with UM about this but they blew me off (no pun intended). I wish I could do it though... would def make my life a lot easier.

xdewaynex
05-09-2013, 08:06 AM
That sucks. Seems like everyones customer service is going down the drain.