PDA

View Full Version : So I skipped DATR

heliotrpic
06-27-2005, 10:11 PM
I ended up going rafting with my girlfriend's law firm in Glenwood Springs on saturday. We were lazy on Sunday and didn't feel like making the 3+ hour drive to Colorado Springs. Well On the way back to Vail from Glenwood this morning I was pulled over and the state trooper leaned into me with some tickets:

70 in a 50

Failure to use turn signal

Driving with out a valid license (not registered in Co with in 30 days of obtaining residence)

A total of 11 points

That doesn't include the other two tickets I have received in the last 6 months in Colorado

Driving too fast for conditions (65mph on I 70 at the east vial exit)

78 in a 65 Silverthorne eastbound exit (at the end of the big hill coming from Frisco)

Looks like I may be losing the license they are making me register for here in CO. I may also have to sell my car if I lose the license. I think I will be hiring a lawyer, hopefully one from my girlfriend’s firm. It was a pretty bad day.

Karl

Groove1797
06-27-2005, 10:21 PM
I have a real good one that has been with my family for a very long time and has made 2 wreckless driving tickets dissappear and a family members DUI vanish. I have the number if you want it though.

my wreckless tickets were 600 a piece for rep though

whiteultra123
06-28-2005, 06:43 PM
i had a reckless and a lawyer and i still had about 400 in fines and 4 points of my license, i was doing 80 in a 40 though.

good luck

chaua1
06-28-2005, 08:30 PM
Hmmm. Ill be making the trip to Glenwood Springs with my gf for the 4th of July, I guess I better keep it under the limit.

OGD's 02' A4
06-28-2005, 08:36 PM
Going to Steamboat this weekend and those ****ers love Rabbit ears and will cite you for anything over +5 over the limit.

Gotta love the Hungry Troopers!

chaua1
06-28-2005, 08:48 PM
Down with Colorado troopers!

RobT
06-29-2005, 07:29 AM
Sucks to hear that. I'm sure a good lawyer will help a lot. The driving without a licence charge should be able to be dropped with a visit to the DMV though (my registration cost me almost $600 this year though).

I've found the key is to take advantage of that turbo though. I've never gotten pulled over going up hill including tripple digits on silverthorne hill, vail pass and loveland pass.

Rob

heliotrpic
06-29-2005, 10:32 AM
I'm going today to get my colorado license. One of the partners at my gf's firm I think has volunteered to help me in fighting the ticket. If I get away with anything less than losing my license I will be lucky. I like to drive pretty fast up the passes also, the funny thing about this ticket is I was taking it easy through the canyon. Normally through that section with no traffic I'm pushing it pretty hard. I guess If I was going to get caught, 70 is a lot better than 90 or 100.

karl

RobT
06-29-2005, 02:45 PM
Yeah, it's rediculous the enforcement they do in the canyon. Such a pita. The worst I've seen is going westbound a cop sitting on the inside of the sweeper right before you enter the canyon right where the speed limmit changes from 75 to 55.

Good luck,
Rob

rippinstlye
06-29-2005, 06:50 PM
[/QUOTE]I've found the key is to take advantage of that turbo though. I've never gotten pulled over going up hill including tripple digits on silverthorne hill, vail pass and loveland pass.

Rob [/B][/QUOTE]

what do you mean? outrun the 5-0? if so, niceeee, hah[drive]

RobT
06-30-2005, 07:49 AM
^^^ The cops always sit on the downhills, so I speed all I want going uphill then just cruise at 5 over going down and let the fuzz pick up dumb asses doing 90 in rice crap, minivans and suv.

Rob

GlacialBass
07-01-2005, 10:04 AM
Originally posted by chaua1
Down with Colorado troopers!

Yeah... very mature way to think about things. they are doing their job, you are breaking the law, and you're getting upset?

Not that I am innocent, I speed too, but you have to be willing to accept the consequences (sp?) if you're going to break the law.

The Troopers are simply upholding the law and doing their job.

Justin

chaua1
07-01-2005, 12:34 PM
Originally posted by GlacialBass
Yeah... very mature way to think about things. they are doing their job, you are breaking the law, and you're getting upset?

Not that I am innocent, I speed too, but you have to be willing to accept the consequences (sp?) if you're going to break the law.

The Troopers are simply upholding the law and doing their job.

Justin

Not when they are waiting around areas where the speed limit suddenly changes. More often than not, I've been pulled over for rediculous things, I have NEVER recieved a moving violation, or have been in an accident. But I've lost count of all the fix it tickets reguarding my tint/HID/suspension/exhaust. [rolleyes]

heliotrpic
07-12-2005, 09:06 AM
Well I'm listing my car for sale in autotrader. Registering and then insuring the audi in CO after having this bad of a driving record in this short of time will be too expensive for me to afford. I've bought an old toyota 4runner to drive around in with as little insurance on it as legaly possible. According to the first insuranc place I called I wont be insurable till around 2007. So I called an insurance agent who will search for the best insurance for my situation. I'm payong about $50 a month for the lowest insurance possible on a 1989 4runner. I don't think I will have another audi for at least two years. This has been a real bummer but Ihave learned I need to slow down and get a V1.

karl

Vanimaniac
07-12-2005, 11:00 PM
Yeah, I've learned that Vail cops LOVE to ticket cars with out-of-state plates. I do not speed whatsoever when I drive through Vail. Even with the radar detector. I don't speed anywhere between Silverthorne to Frisco. I don't speed coming down into Silverthorne either (if I can help it) However, I have found myself hitting triple digits towards Copper (whoops!). And heading back up the pass to the Tunnel, I let it all hang out!

Van

CO AVANT
07-13-2005, 08:21 AM
Originally posted by Vanimaniac
And heading back up the pass to the Tunnel, I let it all hang out!

[;)]

obviouse
07-21-2005, 06:03 PM
Funny... I drive a solid 15 over at all times in the mountains and have yet to get a speeding ticket. I've driven right by speed traps and even passed police. I've found that as long as I don't go too much faster than the flow, I don't get trouble.

chaua1
07-21-2005, 06:37 PM
^^^ You sir are just getting extremely lucky.

obviouse
07-21-2005, 07:58 PM
Better lucky than good ;)

heliotrpic
07-22-2005, 10:40 PM
Well I will let you on on a secret here in Vail. We have Officer Dummy. The Vail police have a suburban that they park in the middle of the highway that they place a dummy in to slow down traffic. All the locals are pretty used to it. Once in a while though it's a real cop so you still need to be careful. I had the A4 detailed and the oil changed it's still for sale and I'm liking my new truck. All because I didn't learn my lesson and continued to drive faster than I could afford.

karl

heliotrpic
08-03-2005, 09:03 AM
I sold my A4 yesterday. It looks like I won't be hanging out around any of the audi / vw sites or a couple years. Not until my driving record clears up and I'm able to save for the S4 I have always wanted. By the time I get around to it the B5 S4 should be affordable to me.

karl

heliotrpic
08-23-2005, 10:23 AM
Today was my court date. Well, it wasn't really a court date. I actualy spoke to the clerks at the Garfield County Courthoouse. When possible they are authorized by the District Attorney to reduce infractions 1 level. That meant that My driving with out a license stayed at 3 points, 22 over the speed limit was dropped from 6 points and $80 to 10-19 over and 4 points $60, failure to signal was then dropped from 2 points to a seat belt violation 0 points $18. So in all I walked away with lesser infractions and 4 less points. If you get pulled over in Garfield County go in on the date on your ticket and they may be able to drop some of the points with out having to speak with the DA or see a judge.

karl

Scott
08-23-2005, 08:32 PM
well at least it was not as bad as you first expected... hopefully you will still hang out and check out the events next year!

I drive a Ford Taurus to half of our weekly GTG's, so don't sweat it! Are you saving for a B5 S-4 or a UrS4?

jent
08-25-2005, 05:33 PM
Yea, at least it sounds like they cut you a deal. Too bad your without your audi. Sorry to hear about your string of bad luck.