PDA

View Full Version : Dash says "OK"

Jovanny
04-18-2013, 10:51 AM
I went to fire up my a4, and while I shifted to reverse (its an automatic :/ if that matters) it said OK, the car has been warning me to service it too. I thought that was just the warning for the 140,000 mile service.. I'm confused and don't know what this could mean. I did a little bit of research and couldn't really find a straight forward answer. The car has been a bit sluggish and not taking off smoothly. I just got the car a few weeks ago, hoping for some not-so-bad news... Any ideas?

walky_talky20
04-18-2013, 11:39 AM
OK means everything is OK.

Service means the service mileage counter has finally ticked to zero. From the factory the service indicator is set to 10,000 miles, which is ridiculous and the reason these cars had sludge problems. Just reset it to shut it up every 10k and schedule your own oil changes.

Artiemas
04-18-2013, 12:56 PM
Is it possible to prevent this sludge problem on the 1.8s, or is it from POs listening to this 10k service? Or is it just an inevitable problem?

woolveren
04-18-2013, 01:31 PM
I have 250k miles on the original motor and there's no visible evidence of sludge.

This said, from 100k miles on wards oil was changed every 3000 miles with full synthetic oil.

Halfrican
04-18-2013, 01:58 PM
It means exactly what it said, it's "OK." If you have 140,000 miles you should aim for changing your oil every 3,000 miles or 3 months, which ever comes first. Use Shell Rotella Synthetic 5W-40 Motor Oil, my friend. It's relatively cheap and your Audi will thank you.

walky_talky20
04-18-2013, 02:07 PM
Is it possible to prevent this sludge problem on the 1.8s, or is it from POs listening to this 10k service? Or is it just an inevitable problem?

Yes, but only if you owned it from new. For regular people that are not religious about their oil changes, it seems almost inevitable that the oil pan will need to be dropped to service the pickup screen at some point before 200k.

Corrado_Guy
04-18-2013, 06:51 PM
When you start the car the cluster goes through a self-test to make sure all of its inputs are within the correct range. If everything checks then you get the 'OK' otherwise the issues will be displayed by their icons in place of the 'OK.' One day I was screwing with the airbag system I accidentally set of the accident response system and I thought I screwed my car. When I started the car to go to work it displayed 'UK' and I was wondering what the hell that was and thought screw it, I will figure it out later. Then I noticed my one-touch stopped working and every time I started driving a little bomb would be displayed in the cluster with a beeping noise and I though the self-destruct was going to go off. Later I figured out the UK was actually OK with a screwed display and the beeping was because I was setting the clock while in stop & go traffic and set the speed alarm at 0 and the one-touch stops working for a few days every time I unplug the battery. I probably get the service one as well but I can't read anything ion the display so I just ignore it.

UberAvant
04-22-2013, 06:00 PM
I agree these Audi's love Rotella Synth 5w-40. Mine has 170K, runs like it's new. :))

CBlockb5a4
04-22-2013, 06:08 PM
you should totally break something so that it doesnt say "ok"

Cgoon009
04-22-2013, 09:00 PM
you should totally break something so that it doesnt say "ok"

haha so all he has to do is wait like a few hours before something isn't ok

Duds
04-22-2013, 09:18 PM
Pretty much, just take a drive around the neighborhood, something will surely break.

walky_talky20
04-23-2013, 04:31 AM
Seriously. Just use the washer fluid like *twice*. BAM: No Longer OK.