PDA

View Full Version : help!! a4 1.8t engine swap for another 1.8t

ktm733
04-16-2013, 07:24 PM
I know this is going to be insane because i have to do it in two days. So my engine blew and i have a 99 vw passat with a 1.8t manual. Im swapping in a 99 a4 1.8t manual also. I need tips on removal. Whats the easiest way to do the removal. Any special tools? I have a engine puller and mechanics skills but i didnt plan on a 2 day pinch. So please help me haha. Also i think both engines are aeb enginee but i will check. Anything i need to switch over? Thanks in advance

Tanzimur
04-16-2013, 07:28 PM
Dam, how did it blow?

walky_talky20
04-16-2013, 08:04 PM
Should be a straight swap. You just take off the front end, pluck the engine, and stuff into the other car. It's pretty straight forward. I would leave the harness with the car (unplug all electrics from the engine). Just pull the fuel rail, leaving the injectors in the rail. I would HIGHLY suggest you drop the oil pan and clean the pickup screen on your replacement engine while it's in-between cars unless you KNOW it's been done recently.

Audiguy1234
04-16-2013, 08:37 PM
Might as well replace the easy seals like the rear main while you are there too. I think they cost 30 bucks. It takes maybe 5 hours to pull the block and another 5 to put back in.

Sent from my SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 2

redline380
04-16-2013, 10:53 PM
I would HIGHLY suggest you drop the oil pan and clean the pickup screen on your replacement engine while it's in-between cars unless you KNOW it's been done recently.

Might as well replace the easy seals like the rear main while you are there too. I think they cost 30 bucks. It takes maybe 5 hours to pull the block and another 5 to put back in.

both excellent ideas that you should heed as well as other maintinence such as tbelt and waterpump, perhaps clutch is a manual.

as for the swap, if both cars are 99, its a straight up swap. all you need to do is put the car into service position by removing front bumpers, removing radiator support, and start unplugging sensors and removing bolts. if you really tried, you get get this done in a day

ktm733
04-17-2013, 08:25 PM
Tthanks you guys for the help. Plus i have alldata so hopefully all goes well :)

ktm733
04-24-2013, 09:14 AM
Got it in now it wont start and i cant read the codes for some reaso ?