PDA

View Full Version : Front diff seal, how to remove output shaft?

Bruch
04-15-2013, 07:10 PM
Hello, I admit I posted this on AW earlier, but got no love. It ain't what it used to be.

On a 2000 A4 Q with Tiptronic, 1.8T.

I think I'm missing something...trying to pull the drivers side (left) output flange and shaft from the front diff. All the bolts are out and the retainer is loose. It feels like I'm gonna break something if I put anymore pressure on that flange. The Bentley and Mitchell give you the impression that you just yank it out.

Anyone with experience? I'm thinking there's a spring clip holding it in place, in the same fashion the axle is held in the CV joint.

I read the post about draining the differential first...but no confirmation about what is keeping it from pulling out?

Any comments welcome.
Thanks
Bruch

ianwpb
04-15-2013, 07:28 PM
I just used two M10x1.5x100 bolts (the bolt size differs depending on what diameter flange you have, mine are 130mm) and tightened them against two chisels (to protect the diff case). I alternated back and forth between both, tightening them little by little, then, voila! Out it came. It did get harder and harder as it came out of the diff but I just kept going. You're probably almost there..

walky_talky20
04-15-2013, 09:03 PM
Bruch, good luck with this repair.

If possible, can you snap a photo of the procedure, and especially the shaft length? Basically, I am wondering how much clearance is necessary for it to come straight out: do you have to move any suspension bits, etc.

ianwpb
04-15-2013, 09:31 PM
Oh yeah, I forgot.. The Auto has a really long driver's side flange right? Did the flange have a bolt in the center? 6mm hex or something?

Bruch
04-16-2013, 05:37 AM
Oh yeah, I forgot.. The Auto has a really long driver's side flange right? Did the flange have a bolt in the center? 6mm hex or something?

As far as clearance to get it all the way out, when I get home tonight, let me forward what Mitchell On demand says. They had specific info, but I forget off the top of my head.