PDA

View Full Version : Heading to the Rockies this summer

doobiesdaddy
04-13-2013, 10:39 AM
Taking an epic road trip with my kids this summer. June 1- July 15.
San Francisco>Nevada>Salt Lake City>Jackson Hole Wyoming>Yellowstone NP Wyoming>Devils Tower NP Wyoming>Mount Rushmore NP South Dakota>Badlands NP South Dakota>Roosevelt NP North Dakota>Glacier NP Montana>Hell's Canyon NP Idaho>Eastern Oregon hot springs>Nevada>San Diego>Disneyland>up the coast on CA 1 to San Francisco.
I'd love to hook up with some other AZers on the way. Anybody want to get some beers?

Heavy Winter
04-13-2013, 03:19 PM
Sure, I should be in CO during that time.

Some advice. A lot of the ski areas in the rocky mountain west have free concert series in the summer, sometimes with top acts. They're a nice way to catch a show with the kids, as most of the venues are outside and are prime locations with great views, etc. From my experiences, the atmosphere is usually pretty family friendly. You're covering a lot of ground (I'd probably go slower, try to travel less and savor some of the locations for a day or two, but that's just me), so if the timing is right you should be aware of the potential to catch some of these concerts.

boostedAvant
04-14-2013, 04:31 PM
I like beers!

flyingfish2626
04-14-2013, 04:39 PM
New Belgium private tour if your in Fort Collins?

RainReign
04-14-2013, 05:41 PM
Don't know if you heard about it but there's a euro cruise/road trip going on through Yellowstone and Grand Tetons the last week of June. So if that part of your trip corresponded with that you'd meet quite a few people.

I live on the way to Glacier NP in Montana and head up there pretty regularly, let me know when you're headed up there and It'd be cool to meet up and cruise up that way. Feel free to shoot me a PM.

doobiesdaddy
04-14-2013, 09:02 PM
Thanks for the replies, guys.
Not going to be in Colorado this time...although it might be worth the detour there for the brewery tour and a bit of nice smoke [up]
I am however headed up to Montana and will PM RainReign when it gets closer to my trip. I'll be in Montana June 19-26. It would be fun to have a cruise up to Glacier!
I'll be in Yellowstone June 7-10. Too bad I'll miss the Euro Cruise.
Anyone out there in South Dakota, North Dakota, Wyoming, or the Idaho/Oregon border area?

drumnjuny
04-14-2013, 09:33 PM
wyoming border is only a 40 mile drive north of fort collins (new belgium tour) i believe

you're probably going to want to take 80 anyway while travelling through wyoming. if so, you'll be within an hour's drive from fort collins, and about 2 minutes from being in colorado [up] (on your way to/from south dakota/ through wyoming)

boostedAvant
04-15-2013, 07:26 PM
I'll meet you in Fort Collins if you come down! Had fun closing the bar down with ya at the 10 year hahah. If you're in MT you should PM MikeWire too, great dude.

doobiesdaddy
04-15-2013, 08:13 PM
wyoming border is only a 40 mile drive north of fort collins (new belgium tour) i believe

you're probably going to want to take 80 anyway while travelling through wyoming. if so, you'll be within an hour's drive from fort collins, and about 2 minutes from being in colorado [up] (on your way to/from south dakota/ through wyoming)

Wasn't planning on taking the 80 east of Salt Lake City as I am headed north to Yellowstone and then on to Devil's tower. Thus I will be on the northern Wyoming route, not the southern one.

But I am persuaded easily when it comes to free beer directly from the source.

Coincidentally, I am a retired brewmaster.

doobiesdaddy
04-15-2013, 08:20 PM
This is my route

http://i494.photobucket.com/albums/rr304/doobiesdaddy/ScreenShot2013-04-15at81805PM_zps6ea1a30a.png (http://s494.photobucket.com/user/doobiesdaddy/media/ScreenShot2013-04-15at81805PM_zps6ea1a30a.png.html)

boostedAvant
04-15-2013, 08:46 PM
Damn, that's quite the voyage there, Dave.

doobiesdaddy
04-16-2013, 12:51 PM
Damn, that's quite the voyage there, Dave.

Hopefully my allroad can handle it!

boostedAvant
04-16-2013, 11:09 PM
I'm sure she'll be great. Pistachio interior will save the day, every time.

flyingfish2626
04-17-2013, 08:06 AM
That looks like a great trip for sure.

doobiesdaddy
05-28-2013, 01:09 PM
Leaving on Saturday.
I'll let you guys know before I hit Montana

doobiesdaddy
06-17-2013, 09:45 PM
In North Dakota now. Headed to Lewiston, MT on Wednesday and then to the Many Glacier Hotel.
Anyone want to meet up?