PDA

View Full Version : Who replaces their axle hub?

Radtad
04-08-2013, 10:56 AM
I'm planning on replacing my control arms and figured I should replace my bearings as well since it will be nice and easy with the spindles off. Anyways I was just curious if it was common practice for the axle hub to also be replaced with the wheel bearings. I replaced the front bearings on my MK3 a few years back and had also replaced the hubs because it was recommended, and half of the race was stuck to the hub which would have been a pita to remove. But with this endeavor I will be taking my spindle to a shop to have the bearings pressed in and out and would assume that they would be able to remove the axle hub without the bearing race stuck to it. I would like to save some money by using the old hubs, but if it will save me time and a headache in the future then I will gladly shell out the cash. Let me know what you guys think.

Mad Cow
04-08-2013, 12:01 PM
It's definitely recommended to do the hub as well, but usually it only gets replaced if it's noticeably damaged. The problem with that is you don't know until you press it out so you're taking a risk with your time.

Corrado_Guy
04-08-2013, 04:09 PM
I have never read that it was recommended to replace the hub, I have done it both ways and no issues. My server where I have ELSA hosted doesn't want to boot so I can't check the factory manual but my Corrado manual has no mention of this recommendation. Typically you pull the hub and get the race off of it and check it for any damage or cracks and then re-use if it looks good. Removing the old race is simple, you use a breaking splitter and it is off within a minute...

http://members.shaw.ca/SyncroJetta/WheelBearing_2.jpg

Mad Cow
04-08-2013, 04:29 PM
At this age it's just good practice if you're willing to spend extra, those bearing had been done a couple of times already so the chance of someone screwing up something at some point isn't negligible.

M-Dub
04-08-2013, 06:56 PM
Get bearings and hubs at the same time... will make your life much easier. I just did both front hubs and bearings on my 96 A4.

Corrado_Guy
04-12-2013, 03:11 PM
I went through the factory manual and there is no mention of replacing hubs unless they are damaged in some way such as curb hunting or something similar. In the factory manual they also show how to remove the inner bearing race that will be stuck to the hub so they also have the intention that the hub will be re-used. Replacing the hub is never a bad thing as long as the replacement is a high quality part but if you would rather pocket the $70 - $330 for the 1 minute it takes to remove the inner bearing race then do it. When you have the old hub off make sure to clean it well, don't damage the finished surface where the hub slides into the bearing, and make sure there is no obvious signs of damage or any cracks or defects. Make sure the surface that sits against the brake rotor is perfectly clean and all rust has been removed.