PDA

View Full Version : is it me or do a3's come with BOV's?

Meesh
06-26-2005, 12:19 PM
everytime i'm boosting, and i shift/release the gas, i get the BOV sound. i thought audi used diverter valves. so im thinking "wtf? is this one noisey DV?"

so its either a loud DV or a quiet BOV? anyone have any answers?

phatAvant
06-26-2005, 01:34 PM
I know how you feel, I like the sound of it, makes me feel ssppppppppppppppshhhhhhhhhhhh-ecial...

But I would like to know the answer to ur question too...

steve

Meesh
06-26-2005, 01:35 PM
okay good, at least i know im not insane

phatAvant
06-26-2005, 01:40 PM
Originally posted by Meesh
okay good, at least i know im not insane

I like playing with it, I even hear it when I reverse, do you too???

Maybe my foot is too heavy with my flip flops and all...[:D]

steve

Meesh
06-26-2005, 01:46 PM
havent listened for it in reverse, plus when im backing out of my parking spots i usually dont like to go above 3k rpm [rolleyes]

phatAvant
06-27-2005, 02:16 AM
Originally posted by Meesh
havent listened for it in reverse, plus when im backing out of my parking spots i usually dont like to go above 3k rpm [rolleyes]

Mine is uphill though...

steve

J-roc
06-27-2005, 04:11 AM
You guys talking about the "coughing" noise the exhaust makes?! My bro said that after chipping it (I think) the noise goes away. But mine has that too. [a3]

phatAvant
06-27-2005, 04:36 AM
Originally posted by J-roc
You guys talking about the "coughing" noise the exhaust makes?! My bro said that after chipping it (I think) the noise goes away. But mine has that too. [a3]

MMMM I honestly doubt its the exhaust because the noise Im hearing comes from the front and is associated with the boost building up and letting off (sortof like a blowoff valve like meesh described)

steve

a2a2pqk
06-27-2005, 02:08 PM
I heard the exhaust noise when I was using DSG to change gear.. *test drive.. i wish I'm driving a quattro A3... grrr.... phatA3!! haha u're the only person that's got the quattro with 2.0T here!!!! =P jealous jealous...*

Meesh
06-27-2005, 04:44 PM
i dont think its the exhaust either. comming from the front of the car, and only when i release the pedal after any boost. sounds like bov symptoms to me, but im just curious... i guess we'll never know!

threedaysdwn
07-01-2005, 06:34 PM
Audi never uses BOVs and I doubt they'd start now. The DV on the A3 2.0T is very loud. I noticed it right away after I started driving it.

The sound is similar to a GTI 1.8T with an aftermarket intake.

Most likely it's due to the intake piping on the transverse 2.0T. I quite like it... leaves no mistake that it's a turbo :)

Anthony
07-01-2005, 06:55 PM
There are two noises, the intake woosh/dv noise and the cough/fart from the exhaust. Both are due to the design of the respective parts. Intake pressure and exhaust pressure.

It's weird, but even my VR6 makes a "bov style" air woosh from the intake, and it's NA.

SpearheadX
07-01-2005, 10:51 PM
Sounds a little liek a giant Turbo Diesel.... Pretty cool. Love the DSG "burp" on shifts!

JV AUDI
07-05-2005, 09:45 PM
on my car i can get the bov sound by applying the right gas and releasing at the right time.. i get bored and do it a lot.. just a loud dv

copkilla1.8t
07-22-2005, 08:06 PM
i heard it at the audi dealership!!! me and my friend were there while my car was getting serviced we decided to check out the new a3s. one of the workers there had just washed it and was putting it back, we both heard it when he let off the gas. it sounded pretty loud for a stock car and we were both like WTF? we asked him to rev it again but he said he didnt want to get in trouble. my car makes a noise too but it is not that loud at all.