PDA

View Full Version : Ghost missfire

Delasangre4231
04-07-2013, 10:07 PM
This has happened 3 times since I bought the car. I start the car and everything is normal, then I drive anywhere between 2 blocks and 4 miles and suddenly crazy miss fire, car is lopeing bad and no power to accelerate. I pull over and let it sit there struggling to stay idling and after a minute it goes away. I then drive on my merry way and it doesn't happen again for another month and a half.

Do I need coil packs? Car has a fresh fuel filter otherwise I haven't done anything. I will look at maint records and see when coils were done last.

jbird60
04-08-2013, 12:26 PM
What's the car's mileage? And has a timing belt job been done recently?

If so, I wouldn't rule out a leaky valve cover gasket. People/shops sometimes forget to replace this with a new one during timing belt changes.

imnuts
04-08-2013, 03:16 PM
Check the PCV system. What fault codes come up? Is it always on the same cylinder(s) or does it jump around? Have you checked the wiring and connectors?

Delasangre4231
04-08-2013, 05:21 PM
I am at 105k miles, they did a timing belt before I bought it like 10k ago, and when the shop and I plug it in we get missfire cyl 1, missfire cyl 2, ect for all cylinders. This shows up even i did not experience this, like if I check codes between these events. And then I think there was like an intermittent missfire or something...

flir67
04-18-2013, 12:55 AM
I am at 105k miles, they did a timing belt before I bought it like 10k ago, and when the shop and I plug it in we get missfire cyl 1, missfire cyl 2, ect for all cylinders. This shows up even i did not experience this, like if I check codes between these events. And then I think there was like an intermittent missfire or something...

could be a vacuum leak.. or a dirty fuel filter..

Delasangre4231
04-18-2013, 05:45 AM
could be a vacuum leak.. or a dirty fuel filter..

Just replaced the fuel filter and it did it anyways. I'm planning on replacing coils and plugs soon.