PDA

View Full Version : Ko3 to Ko4 gearbox question.

C1utch
04-07-2013, 10:03 PM
Hi, I'm kinda new in the aspect of tuning a vehicle and the Audi scene. I was wondering, if I upgraded my Ko3 to the Ko4 with an APR tune, a carbino CAI, and a Borla Exhaust wouldn't I need a sixth gear? If the answer is yes then how would or should I go about that?

jvega21
04-07-2013, 10:06 PM
No. Look up six speed swap. Hope you have deep pockets.

zandrew
04-07-2013, 10:07 PM
No. If you look around you will see tons of vehicles running 400awhp on stock trans.

What year car do you have and what specs?

C1utch
04-07-2013, 10:18 PM
Okay awesome, I'm wanting to spend a little bit to make it go but I'm not wanting to have to sell my soul lol
It's a 99 1.8t, just bought it like a week ago in amazing shape but the first thing I'm gonna do to it is the T-Belt, last car was a 95 Civic and the belt snapped, intereference engines scare me. lol

catbed
04-07-2013, 10:19 PM
Hi, I'm kinda new in the aspect of tuning a vehicle and the Audi scene. I was wondering, if I upgraded my Ko3 to the Ko4 with an APR tune, a carbino CAI, and a Borla Exhaust wouldn't I need a sixth gear? If the answer is yes then how would or should I go about that?

Why would you "need" a 6th gear? If you want an extra gear for cruising, it is not worth it to put in an 01E.

01As will hold the power levels of a k04 no problem. Its the torque spike into 3rd gear that breaks them, but you won't have that problem with only a k04.

zandrew
04-07-2013, 10:27 PM
Dude I'm getting ready to remove my k04 with giac tune and carbon intake and sell it in the next week or 2. I live about an hour and half away from you. It's a nice setup for a daily that you want modest performance and factory like response. It's in perfect shape.

C1utch
04-07-2013, 10:43 PM
Seriously Zandrew? lol
How much do you want for them?

and Catbed, I was just curious I had read a post somewhere saying something about the gearbox and it just made me think.
I literrally know nothing about manual transmissions and gearboxes, as a matter a fact, I just spent a 2 weeks teaching myself how to drive stick lol