PDA

View Full Version : Oil question a d Service warning

TylerDSAudi
04-07-2013, 04:34 PM
I asked my dad to pick me up a filter and oil quickly as I have been pretty busy and he got the right filter, but got me 5W-20 Full Syntheic. Now I'm in a need of an oil change and I always change my oil when my car asks for service, so I'm good that way, but is this oil fine for my 1.8t? Biggest thing is at least it's full Sythenic oil and not regular.

What are you guys running for oil?

Also I read that sometimes people change their service warning, what usually is your service warning pop up? How manny km?

Thanks guys!

Seerlah
04-07-2013, 04:41 PM
I was under the impression it goes off every 10,000 miles. I don't even go by that and change the oil between the 3-5 mark (anywhere in between really). Also running Shell Rotella T6 (5w40).

ProAudi
04-07-2013, 04:44 PM
Euro spec oil is what U should run

I run mobil 1 0w-40 at 5k miles as our Audi is a long hauler.

Not sold on running Rot T6 either...................

Seerlah
04-07-2013, 05:03 PM
^Visit BITOG. These are not people just saying they think this oil is good and blah blah blah. People send samples out to get analysed (labs) and prove it.

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=cfrm

Also, companies end up on that Audi approved list because they paid to be on there. I was running Amsoil for years which was way better than any oil on that Audi approved list. They simply would not pay to be on their approved list. I then switched to Rotella T6 from trying it before, then staying dedicated after an Amsoil dealer even told me he personally runs it. But I have Amsoil fluids in my tranny and rear diff. Soon going into my power steering system too.

http://www.amsoil.com/shop/by-product/motor-oil/european/

ProAudi
04-07-2013, 05:11 PM
^Visit BITOG. These are not people just saying they think this oil is good and blah blah blah. People send samples out to get analysed (labs) and prove it.

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=cfrm

Also, companies end up on that Audi approved list because they paid to be on there. I was running Amsoil for years which was way better than any oil on that Audi approved list. They simply would not pay to be on their approved list. I then switched to Rotella T6 from trying it before, then staying dedicated after an Amsoil dealer even told me he personally runs it. But I have Amsoil fluids in my tranny and rear diff. Soon going into my power steering system too.

http://www.amsoil.com/shop/by-product/motor-oil/european/

Um ya, been on the internet since 97.

Oil is oil, just change it.....................

Would not put Amsoil in a lawn mower.

Seerlah
04-07-2013, 05:11 PM
Wow! If oil is oil, use Autozone stuff next time around [up]

ProAudi
04-07-2013, 05:16 PM
Wow! If oil is oil, use Autozone stuff next time around [up]

Got 35 yrs changing oil and U ??? there is WAY more to oil then whats on the internet....................

Seerlah
04-07-2013, 05:25 PM
Glad you know how to change oil. But know as times change, so does technology. Stay old...I mean wise [cool]

edit: pardon if you took offense to my old make joke. I was just busting your chops [;)]

coolgraymemo
04-07-2013, 05:29 PM
Rotella T6 ($5 rebate atm).

My indicator goes off every 5k.

Believer
04-07-2013, 05:37 PM
http://www.audizine.com/forum/showthread.php/526099-used-oil-analysis-Shell-T6-5w40-10k-mi-00-Audi-A4-1-8t-ATW-K04-chip

Shell Rotella T6 oil with a 10k OCI, with analysis.

ProAudi
04-07-2013, 05:50 PM
Rot six is for diesels:
http://s05.static-shell.com/content/dam/shell/static/can-en/downloads/products-services/lubricants/rotella/rotella-t6.pdf

Not comfortable running it in my gas engine.

ianwpb
04-07-2013, 05:50 PM
Got 35 yrs changing oil and U ??? there is WAY more to oil then whats on the internet....................

Lol.. If oil is oil, then why would you mention that you aren't sold on Shell Rotella T6?

ProAudi
04-07-2013, 05:57 PM
Lol.. If oil is oil, then why would you mention that you aren't sold on Shell Rotella T6?

Its made for diesel, now U tell me gas oil should be ok for a diesel.

Driving HABITS play way more into it then what u put in......................

I run spec oil for all my cars and not like most of U I have the skill set and tools to fix my own stuff.

If U change ANY oil in proper time all is good. Seen this proof for 30+ years................

BTW: The Military was doing oil samples LONG before U knew it was out.

coolgraymemo
04-07-2013, 06:03 PM

I run spec oil for all my cars and not like most of U I have the skill set and tools to fix my own stuff.

If U change ANY oil in proper time all is good. Seen this proof for 30+ years................

No one told you to use gas oil in diesels.

Oh yeah, none of us know how to work on cars. I don't eem have any tools.

Seerlah
04-07-2013, 06:11 PM
Rot six is for diesels:
http://s05.static-shell.com/content/dam/shell/static/can-en/downloads/products-services/lubricants/rotella/rotella-t6.pdf

I know it was originally an HDEO. But there is a difference between HDEO and a pure diesel only oil. I was even suggested by an Amsoil dealer (Amsoil site sponsor on BITOG) to run the Amsoil HDEO in the winter over the Euro Blend 5w30 for my car.

Believer
04-07-2013, 06:12 PM

How exactly were you able to glean that 'most of us' do not have a skill set nor tools? I want that ability.

I'm not sure which it is - Run any oil and all is good, or T6 is inadequate.

What does the Military doing oil testing having anything to do with the topic?

For the OP, I believe mine comes on at 5k, though I haven't done a reset and paid attention to the actual figure, but I feel like it went off close to 5k. I wish there was a way to set a custom interval in VagCom.

I recently made the switch to M1 0w40 oil from Castrol Edge 5w30. I switched because I wanted the 40 weight for the summer and also because the M1 is VW approved. The valve train is noticeably 'chattier' at colder starup temperatures making the switch from 5w to 0w. I'm not sure I like that the valve train is noisier with this new stuff, I may consider giving the T6 a try on my next change.

I should note that back in February I had an oil cooler O-ring fail on me and the engine experienced a rapid loss of oil pressure for about 1.5 miles. I took about 1.5 quarts of oil max out of the pan.

After I fixed the o-ring and filled it back up with oil the engine was LOUD until the oil warmed up and was able to fully flow through my valve train. I do not know whether or not clearances were compromised or what happened and I am wondering if maybe the 0w is a little too thin at start up because with the 5w I did not have the kind of valve noise I do now with the 0w.

ProAudi
04-07-2013, 06:14 PM
SO like I said, if the letters say Vw spec then run it.,

Still on the fence on Rot six still...........

I run whatever says euro spec..................

Seerlah
04-07-2013, 06:15 PM
This topic sucks. T6 is safe for your engine. Leave it at that. And yes, there are "approved" diesel oils on the list below. Would you run Quaker State approved oil in your car (petrol)?

http://microsites.audiusa.com/ngw/09/media/downloads/pdfs/Audi_TechnicalServiceBulletin_1997-2012.pdf

TylerDSAudi
Holy pissing contest! Lol

So is the oil I got fine to run?

I did research and it does go off every 5K

jvega21
I figure if T6 is good enough for a turbo diesel, its good enough for my turbo 4cyl. On top of all the other proof. I may not have 30+ year collection of tools, but I've been wrenching on my own cars since my first car at 19. And I wouldn't consider military samples any good. Seeing as half the equipment is always broken or needs parts. They also just buy from the lowest bidder anyway.

arorem
I've been running T6 for about a year and a half now with changes every 5k. Decided 0W-40 was too light for the summers and heat cycles during autox so I made the switch.

ProAudi
04-07-2013, 06:17 PM
How exactly were you able to glean that 'most of us' do not have a skill set nor tools? I want that ability. As a MECAHIC I can take risks, where most have to TRUST some idiot at a shop

I'm not sure which it is - Run any oil and all is good, or T6 is inadequate.

Just have not seen a vaild reason to use Rot 6 YET

What does the Military doing oil testing having anything to do with the topic?

Have been testing oil since the 80's

coolgraymemo
04-07-2013, 06:19 PM
Technology changes.

ProAudi
04-07-2013, 06:19 PM
I've been running T6 for about a year and a half now with changes every 5k. Decided 0W-40 was too light for the summers and heat cycles during autox so I made the switch.

I agree 100%

Its WAY cold to run one oil all year long

run 0w30 in the LS2 winter, 5w30 summer

ProAudi
04-07-2013, 06:20 PM
Technology changes.

U are telling this to a mechanic ????

Come on................

Seerlah
04-07-2013, 06:21 PM
Just in case you missed it.

This topic sucks. T6 is safe for your engine. Leave it at that. And yes, there are "approved" diesel oils on the list below. Would you run Quaker State approved oil in your car (petrol)?

http://microsites.audiusa.com/ngw/09/media/downloads/pdfs/Audi_TechnicalServiceBulletin_1997-2012.pdf

ProAudi
04-07-2013, 06:26 PM
Just in case you missed it.

HA !! So U can run what u want as long its on the back............................

Just not sold on Rot 6...............

ianwpb
04-07-2013, 06:27 PM

Your 30+ years of experience is next to useless when talking about new oils. It used to be that you had to change your oil every 3,000 miles.. Now it's not unheard of going past 7,500 miles on your oil.

1- I'm going to go ahead and assume you mean, "You want to tell me oil for diesel engines is okay for gas engines?" Uhh Yes!

2- Yes, driving habits have a lot to do with your OCI.

3- You're a little presumptuous in saying that most of us don't have the skill set and tools to fix our own stuff. I'd say the majority of the members here are DIYer's that are ready to take on many of the issues with our vehicles.

4- This is where you're contradicting yourself.. You're saying oils that are made to stand up to diesel engines shouldn't be used in normal gasoline engines. Then you say "ANY oil" changed at the proper time is "Good". What?! [confused]

5- No one said that sampling oils is a new thing.. [rolleyes]

coolgraymemo
04-07-2013, 06:28 PM
U are telling this to a mechanic ????

Come on................

Being a "mechanic" does not make you an all-knowing genius.

I'm a mechanic too. And a doctor. And a customer service rep.

Seerlah
04-07-2013, 06:34 PM
HA !! So U can run what u want as long its on the back............................

Just not sold on Rot 6...............

Not quite comprehending your inquiry. I research oils before I use them. And I have not heard or read one negative thing about the Rotella T6 that would make me question it, besides naysayers like yourself with no viable evidence besides things like "what you are and aren't sold on". But I still did not comprehend your question, if you feel like elaborating.

Believer
04-07-2013, 06:35 PM
Holy pissing contest! Lol

So is the oil I got fine to run?

I did research and it does go off every 5K

I can't say for certain if the oil will be fine. I can say personally, I wouldn't run a 20 weight oil in our engine. But that is just my opinion and the 20 weight MAY in fact be fine.

ProAudi
04-07-2013, 06:36 PM
Being a "mechanic" does not make you an all-knowing genius.

I'm a mechanic too. And a doctor. And a customer service rep.

Um ok, U are right.

I work on everything on the planet, so I am wrong. sorry......................

Seerlah
04-07-2013, 06:38 PM
Believer, I replied in a PM to him to dump it and run a 30 or 40 weight. There is no Audi approved 20 weight, and I personally think it is too light. He can just run a 40 weight, leave the filter on, and let it mix. Well, that is what I would have done.

revolution337
04-07-2013, 06:40 PM
Late model BMWs have 15k mile oil service intervals. So according to your (proaudi) theory, putting in some auto store generic brand oil will end up in the same condition after 15k as a quality oil, such as T6?

ProAudi
04-07-2013, 06:42 PM
Not quite comprehending your inquiry. I research oils before I use them. And I have not heard or read one negative thing about the Rotella T6 that would make me question it, besides naysayers like yourself with no viable evidence besides things like "what you are and aren't sold on". But I still did not comprehend your question, if you feel like elaborating.

Just sayin, not sure WHY I should stop running what i run to switch ???

Its all in how the owner drives car and climate. I see most jumping to it cause of the 40 weight requirement as Ford uses 5w20. So with your thinking Rot 6 is made for gas/diesel this is the oil to run....................

A test on oil is only good for the car/owner/climate/miles/fuel quality. not a LAW for the masses to switch on over !

Believer
04-07-2013, 06:42 PM
Glad to hear. T6 is nice and cheap at WalMart, I want to say not more than 25 dollars for 5 quarts. The M1 0w40 I picked up for 27 dollars. The valve noise worries me though, is it a problem?

ianwpb
04-07-2013, 06:43 PM
As far as which viscosity to use, you determine that by the temperatures you expect to experience during this next 5000-7500 miles/however many months that will be. If you expect cold and warm temps then a 0W30/40 should be just fine. If it doesn't get very cold then I'd run a 5W40.

Its all in how the owner drives car and climate. I see most jumping to it cause of the 40 weight requirement as Ford uses 5w20. So with your thinking Rot 6 is made for gas/diesel this is the oil to run....................

A test on oil is only good for the car/owner/climate/miles/fuel quality. not a LAW for the masses to switch on over !

As a mechanic you should know that "W" doesn't mean Weight. Just saying..

ProAudi
04-07-2013, 06:46 PM
Late model BMWs have 15k mile oil service intervals. So according to your (proaudi) theory, putting in some auto store generic brand oil will end up in the same condition after 15k as a quality oil, such as T6?

no, not talking miles per change here.............

Fact is MY state runs what the hell ever, as oil is oil. It happens, go look for your self. Every dealer runs what ever they want to sell
If U don't ask for specific oil, tough luck

Not running any oil 15k don't care what kind of oil it is !! (for me anyway, to much idle time)

ProAudi
04-07-2013, 06:47 PM
As far as which viscosity to use, you determine that by the temperatures you expect to experience during this next 5000-7500 miles/however many months that will be. If you expect cold and warm temps then a 0W30/40 should be just fine. If it doesn't get very cold then I'd run a 5W40.

As a mechanic you should know that "W" doesn't mean Weight. Just saying..

Come on, really...................

audinutt
04-07-2013, 06:50 PM
I am a mechanic too, and rotella t6 is fine. So dont worry about this guy.

ianwpb
04-07-2013, 06:55 PM

Yeah, why not?

Seerlah
04-07-2013, 06:55 PM

No, that is not what I was thinking when I switched (thanks for knowing what I think. makes me feel so much better to think you understand me so well [rolleyes]). I used to pay a lot for my Amsoil and would only run that. But I started back in school, times were rough, needed to save on costs, and this was the best choice for those reasons. But I would have never chosen this oil if I never ran it before or did my research on it prior to. And over the time, got used to running it.

And nobody is telling you to switch to T6. Oil is a preference and you can run whatever you want.

Glad to hear. T6 is nice and cheap at WalMart, I want to say not more than 25 dollars for 5 quarts. The M1 0w40 I picked up for 27 dollars. The valve noise worries me though, is it a problem?

You running the M1 0w40? I don't run M1 0w40 for various reasons. Try adding some Lucas Oil Stabilizer into your oil. It is more than likely your lifters. I had lifter tick at cold starts till the oil warmed up with my replacement cylinder head, running the T6, placed some of that Lucas Oil Stabiliser in there for one oil change, and never had the issue again. Engine is quiet on every start.

ProAudi
04-07-2013, 06:57 PM

Not allowed to have a opinion here I guess.

Guess i should switch right away so on the same band wagon...........................

Good post, will do what works for me, as no reason to switch was presented or one brand or another.

Tests are ONLY valid for the owner, not a reason to switch what works for U

revolution337
04-07-2013, 07:00 PM
This thread is [facepalm]

Seerlah
04-07-2013, 07:02 PM
^I agree!

Believer
04-07-2013, 07:09 PM
No, that is not what I was thinking when I switched (thanks for knowing what I think. makes me feel so much better to think you understand me so well [rolleyes]). I used to pay a lot for my Amsoil and would only run that. But I started back in school, times were rough, needed to save on costs, and this was the best choice for those reasons. But I would have never chosen this oil if I never ran it before or did my research on it prior to. And over the time, got used to running it.

And nobody is telling you to switch to T6. Oil is a preference and you can run whatever you want.

You running the M1 0w40? I don't run M1 0w40 for various reasons. Try adding some Lucas Oil Stabilizer into your oil. It is more than likely your lifters. I had lifter tick at cold starts till the oil warmed up with my replacement cylinder head, running the T6, placed some of that Lucas Oil Stabiliser in there for one oil change, and never had the issue again. Engine is quiet on every start.

I'm definitely interested to hear your thoughts on the M1, but better to take it to PMs.

Stranger
04-07-2013, 07:34 PM
Lol at this whole debate.

OP stay away from 5w-20. not even close to correct

5w-40 t6 is a ok, someone just did a test on a 1.8t after 12000 miles and it came back good.
0w-40 M1 is good too as is 5w-40 castrol syntec. Pretty much any full syn in 5w-40 or 0w-40 is fine

There is 250,000 miles on the original motor in my b5. It's had t6 5w-40 for the past 150k changed at 8k according to my receipts. Buy whatever you want as long as the weight is correct and it's full synthetic.

TylerDSAudi
04-07-2013, 07:39 PM

Thinking ill pick up some tomorrow.

csosnowski
04-07-2013, 10:30 PM
T6 for 30k in my 1.8t and 15k in my old 2.7t, OEM filters, and I am a mechanic.

I also put ATF in with each change, how about that?

The only difference between the spec for gas or diesel oil is the detergents that they put in the oil. If you study the various labels for the T6 you will find that it is not diesel exclusive, some of the labels just state "heavy duty engine oil."

Service indicator can be changed, for example I have my OCI set for 6250 miles, and I set my customer's OCI's for this as well for warranty purposes.

Pre MY2000 you can change it through VCDS - 17 Instruments - 04 Adaptation - Channel 05 - enter number 10 for 6250mi OCI. MY 2000 is different.

Here is some older info --> Link (http://audi.kris-hansen.com/SRIreset.htm)

I use T6 in ALL my customer's Audi's and BMW's. Its a little too thick for the Mercedes'. YMMV.

M1 is too thin and too expensive, also it shears out really fast. Like 2000 miles its down to 0.5w-20.

5w-20 is for fords, lets try to keep it that way.

TylerDSAudi
04-07-2013, 11:07 PM
Well even though this thread went head down feet up, still some good debates!

TheKid84
04-07-2013, 11:44 PM
I use shell ultra helix and doi oil changes every 6000 - 10 000 km

woolveren
04-08-2013, 06:38 AM

YES really..

'According to the Society of Automotive Engineers (SAE) standard J300, the "W" stands for winter'

ianwpb
04-08-2013, 07:02 AM
YES really..

'According to the Society of Automotive Engineers (SAE) standard J300, the "W" stands for winter'

Thank you sir. [up]

SGS
04-08-2013, 05:43 PM
Just pointing this out really fast becasue it has not been brought up yet. Seerlh has been on here since 2007 and the other guy Join Date:Mar 23 2013... NOT even a month. Seerlh you always have good in put and thanks.

TylerDSAudi
04-08-2013, 10:26 PM
Just pointing this out really fast becasue it has not been brought up yet. Seerlh has been on here since 2007 and the other guy Join Date:Mar 23 2013... NOT even a month. Seerlh you always have good in put and thanks.

I always go to Seerlah with stuff and he is great poster and support on this forum. Most things i would trust him with... Maybe not my life, but car.. yes!

coolgraymemo
04-08-2013, 10:32 PM
YES really..

http://cdn.niketalk.com/2/23/23c272e0_celebration.gif

Brettannica
04-14-2013, 05:33 AM
Donít stress too much with ProAudi fellas. Apparently heís an S4 expert as well...