PDA

View Full Version : should i do a swap 1.8t shell -2.7 twin turbo on 2001 s4 motor

Andrep363
04-07-2013, 08:15 AM
i'm thinking about buying a 2001 1.8t shell with everything but the motor and swapping a 2001 2.7 twin turbo s4 motor into it. it would be easy to do but i'm curious to see who's done it before and common problems that i would run into. this is just an idea as of now but im really thinking of it

rollerton
04-07-2013, 08:47 AM
That amount of information is useless if you're looking for advice or opinions. Unless the whole thing is pretty close to free and you're looking for a project and need something to do...just buy an S4.
You can get a 'decent' S4 sedan these days for $5k to $7500. Nobody can even begin to guess at which problems you'll have as there are several different 2.7 motors you could be talking about. Is the chassis auto or manual?

Andrep363
04-09-2013, 04:36 PM
i am looking for this a project i can get a good 2.7 motor and get the shell for good prices its almost close to free. the chassis and everything match to the motor. i buy an s4 and and build it all and everything but i want to do something different. im looking for information about the swap to see if its worth doing and to know common problems with the 2.7 30v Turbo 2,671 cc motor and the 2001 b5 1.8t shell. im still thinking about it but its a good deal on the motor and the shell i would always have the back up 1.8t motor

catbed
04-09-2013, 06:07 PM
2.7t's are a bitch to work on, they have more parts to go wrong, they are more expensive to fix since they have an S attached to them, but the sound they make is godly. Can't beat the torque either.

zandrew
04-09-2013, 06:40 PM
If it were me and I wanted to do something ambitous I would either build a 2.0 and a decent turbo OR do a 4.2 liter swap. The 4.2 is so bitching. I'd have to do a custom set of ITB's though.

If you are looking for bang for the buck the 1.8 with a decent turbo is the only way to go. The 2.7t is a bad ass but it just seems like a bit much of swap for the average diy'r. Its not like you can't build just as much hp with the 1.8 or 2.0. Torque is another thing.

grmnmusl
04-09-2013, 11:13 PM
Everyone with this this just buy a S4 BS. Most these cats too scared to work on thier cars...
Its not that crazy... Really!

Do it, once its DBW 00' and up its plug and play. Just need a couple pieces.

You already have the most important part.... The car!
You can go S4 for a lil over $1000! Motor w/Turbos, Stock IC, wirring harnes, ECU, MAF, SSAC DP, clutch disk, some cutting here and there.....
My man Paul in RI got motors complete!
Take ya time do A8 brake setup with a good pad she will stop better than a 2.7T!

O and A4 1.8T insurance but driving a 2.7T... Priceless!

PM me, I got what you need.

http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?5922197-How-to-make-your-1.8t-avant-fun-again

zandrew
04-09-2013, 11:44 PM
Everyone with this this just buy a S4 BS. Most these cats too scared to work on thier cars...
Its not that crazy... Really!

Do it, once its DBW 00' and up its plug and play. Just need a couple pieces.

You already have the most important part.... The car!
You can go S4 for a lil over $1000! Motor w/Turbos, Stock IC, wirring harnes, ECU, MAF, SSAC DP, clutch disk, some cutting here and there.....
My man Paul in RI got motors complete!
Take ya time do A8 brake setup with a good pad she will stop better than a 2.7T!

O and A4 1.8T insurance but driving a 2.7T... Priceless!

PM me, I got what you need.

http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?5922197-How-to-make-your-1.8t-avant-fun-again

1.8 insurance on A4 with 2.7 that has been ran into a tree after the hp has gone to your brain and fooled your foot. Thats not priceless BUT a picture of your face when you realize all that work just went down the shit tubes and your getting $1200 back for your car IS.

Seriously bro, S4 for just over $1k??? What block are you hitting up cuz dats some mad crack yo.

If it was that simple and CHEAP why is not being whored out? I am sure it can be done but your not going to touch it for $1k or close unless you know someone giving you the stuff to do it. Not if you are doing it right.

Real world estimates are a lot more without the garage cost for the install. I have seen $3500-$5000 for the install with mild mods and I am sure this is much more real world figure. I do agree though, nothing wrong with turning a wrench or swapping in a 2.7. Your figures are a bit off.

redline380
04-10-2013, 12:00 AM

and an 01e tranny, and driveshaft, and rear end, and uprights, and brakes, and cluster, and engine accesories. im sure im forgetting some things. for $1000? send me some of your crack please. we dont get that good of quality around here.

seriously though. this questions comes up a predictable amount of times. if i were better with math i could probably come up with an algorithm to predict when this question will pop up next. any math nerds care to work on this?

viceprp
04-10-2013, 11:53 AM
One simple tip: Search. Search 400,500,600 miles of travel before you go and swap a 2.7T into a 1.8T. Beside the "sleeper" look you will have, you will not fit the sidemounts behind the A4 bumper. There goes $400 used, paint, ect. You will have upwards of $3,000 in misc parts into this build. I have seen 160k S4's go for as low as $3750. They may need some repairs but its an S4 and it's what is meant to have. I would rather search 1100 miles, get a plane ticket and drive the car back, before I would do a 2.7 swap in. Plus they have some interesting colors on the S4 side that I really love. Just my .02

Andrep363
04-10-2013, 05:10 PM
i have the shop to do it all and the tools and the skills. im still doing the math out but, i know s4s and everyone has them i want something different to play around in. the motor has 90k on it im going to slap some parts on it before i drop it in and the paint im not worried about hahah im dipping that shit if i go through with this. i have all the time in the world to do this im going to do it right. not looking to spend anymore than $3500 just to get it running

grmnmusl
04-11-2013, 02:21 AM
Ok one by one:

Depending on age and driving record some cant afford S4 insurance.
Running into a tree... Bro you have bigger problems that a S4 swap!
Learn to drive!

Money:
Lil over a $1000 is a 2.7T swap turbos, Stock ECU, wirring harness all components.
Source you DP and redo exhaust mated to 5 speed (better gearing).
Buy performance clutch fron Clutchnet.com

Wirring:
If 1.8T you need a dash harness from ANY 2000 and up A4 or A6 2.8 or 2.7 so it will work.
If 2.8.... Plug in ECU and wirring harness from motor and your done.
Wire in 6 speed to 5 speed VSS (Done)

Inside:
You need a S4 cluster for car to run? Nope.
Stock cluster runs fine.
S4 cluster is for looks can do that later $100 bad pixels anyway.

Brakes:
Upgrade ya A4 front brakes as I stated.(DONE)
Still can run 16's! Sleeper Status...

Body:
Trim rad support (DONE)
S4 Sidemounts fit with a lil trimming behind A4 bumpers (DONE ALSO)

Engine:
Throw out ya secondary air pump (94% of 2.7's dont even have these from factory).
Cap off line so you dont loose too much PS fluid.
Save ya coolant and buy 8 qts of oil and oil filter.(Wallmart)

S4's, M3', M5' 1.8T gettin smacked by a "A4" Priceless!

You will have a check engine for O'2's, most likely (Probably had that before anyway)
Get a tune /flash code out EGT's, rear O2's, You were gonna do software anyway.
Plum 3" DP into custom exhaust!

Bought a 2.7 6 speed A6 from Craigslist for $1200.
99% of what I needed swap over but axels didnt.
If your good, swap ya 2.8 stuf into A6 as I did and resell it back and you make money in deal.

Minor bits and your done.
Comeon man... It's not really that crazy, unless your scared.
Dudes trying to do something different, I can respect that.
85% of S4's are running same crap, Stage 2+ in some form fashion: STOCK K03's, DP, Intake, Exhaust, cooler plugs and a reflash, susp, wheels! Big deal.

The reason people dont do it is because people who dont know shit discourage them.

Just take ya time and source ya parts, Rome wasn't built in a day.
I went to RI bought 2.7 complete 122k w/turbos,
wirring harness, ECU, MAF had clutch on still.
Drove home to NY, 3 weeks got my tid bits together.
Drove my 2.8 into shop on Sat 5pm, motor came out that night.
Ran around sunday had to find mounts mine were shot (easier to put in when motors out)
Drove it out Sunday needing only to rechange AC and connect DP to 3" exhaust.
Cost me a lil over $1250 and a lil time and a lot on knowledge of these cars!

Andrep363 hit me up for any info.

grmnmusl
04-11-2013, 02:57 AM
But don't take my word for it, see for yourself....

http://t2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQdjRRtp4HluFKwWujQHUTtPc9CcLi6f J758l3GDI38niQ8yl2RMFscCTU

Mad Cow
04-11-2013, 06:17 AM
I love it when people who have no idea what's involved decide to chime in. If me, the university student with a shitty, dark, cold garage and limited tools can swap a DBW 1.8T into an originally DBC 2.8 and have it run properly right off the bat I'm sure someone with a proper garage can swap a 2.7t into a car that's already ready for it.

I would suggest finding a totalled a6, that way you'll have a full parts car that won't cost an arm and a leg because it's an S4. I was able to manage without a parts car, but I would've got one no questions asked if I had the room to take it apart.

b518
04-11-2013, 09:19 AM
Doing the same, can't wait to be done. I'll b putting rs6s in tho

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2

quattroloco
04-11-2013, 09:30 AM
Ok one by one:

Depending on age and driving record some cant afford S4 insurance.
Running into a tree... Bro you have bigger problems that a S4 swap!
Learn to drive!

Money:
Lil over a $1000 is a 2.7T swap turbos, Stock ECU, wirring harness all components.
Source you DP and redo exhaust mated to 5 speed (better gearing).
Buy performance clutch fron Clutchnet.com

Wirring:
If 1.8T you need a dash harness from ANY 2000 and up A4 or A6 2.8 or 2.7 so it will work.
If 2.8.... Plug in ECU and wirring harness from motor and your done.
Wire in 6 speed to 5 speed VSS (Done)

Inside:
You need a S4 cluster for car to run? Nope.
Stock cluster runs fine.
S4 cluster is for looks can do that later $100 bad pixels anyway.

Brakes:
Upgrade ya A4 front brakes as I stated.(DONE)
Still can run 16's! Sleeper Status...

Body:
Trim rad support (DONE)
S4 Sidemounts fit with a lil trimming behind A4 bumpers (DONE ALSO)

Engine:
Throw out ya secondary air pump (94% of 2.7's dont even have these from factory).
Cap off line so you dont loose too much PS fluid.
Save ya coolant and buy 8 qts of oil and oil filter.(Wallmart)

S4's, M3', M5' 1.8T gettin smacked by a "A4" Priceless!

You will have a check engine for O'2's, most likely (Probably had that before anyway)
Get a tune /flash code out EGT's, rear O2's, You were gonna do software anyway.
Plum 3" DP into custom exhaust!

Bought a 2.7 6 speed A6 from Craigslist for $1200.
99% of what I needed swap over but axels didnt.
If your good, swap ya 2.8 stuf into A6 as I did and resell it back and you make money in deal.

Minor bits and your done.
Comeon man... It's not really that crazy, unless your scared.
Dudes trying to do something different, I can respect that.
85% of S4's are running same crap, Stage 2+ in some form fashion: STOCK K03's, DP, Intake, Exhaust, cooler plugs and a reflash, susp, wheels! Big deal.

The reason people dont do it is because people who dont know shit discourage them.

Just take ya time and source ya parts, Rome wasn't built in a day.
I went to RI bought 2.7 complete 122k w/turbos,
wirring harness, ECU, MAF had clutch on still.
Drove home to NY, 3 weeks got my tid bits together.
Drove my 2.8 into shop on Sat 5pm, motor came out that night.
Ran around sunday had to find mounts mine were shot (easier to put in when motors out)
Drove it out Sunday needing only to rechange AC and connect DP to 3" exhaust.
Cost me a lil over $1250 and a lil time and a lot on knowledge of these cars!

Andrep363 hit me up for any info.

^this.... I MADE money off the swap.
bought wrecked A6 $1400
sold unused parts from A6 and from my A4
2.7swap and swapped out my tiptronic at the same time for the 01E 6speed manual.
I had to buy a driveline and both front axles... thats it.
10 days start to finish for engine/trans swap.
I would think B5 to B5 would be even easier.

I have a build thread in the B6 forum.

Nollywood
04-11-2013, 10:35 AM
I would do it. I'm no 1,8T fan, regardless of what power they churn out after going full build and BAT. A big ass, manly V8 will be even better.

ray4624
04-11-2013, 10:45 AM
there is a complete s4 motor on boston craigslist going for cheap right now.

zandrew
04-11-2013, 10:50 AM
I am not saying not to do it, I am saying that your price is way off. I read your thread and you remarked you had zero dollars in the parts. Thats nice but most of us are not given bits to do the swap.

My point on insurnace obviously just went over your head. If the car is stolen, $1200. If you are hit by a driver without insurance, $1200. If it is destroyed by some Honda owning Audi hating teenager that you just took his video games from for beating from stop light to stop light, $1200. Basically your suggestion of driving a S4 on A4 insurance has two different sides to it and I would consider the second.

Also the entire swap really does not make sense from an econimical standpoint and IF you already have 1.8t. For the cost of the swap you can build the 1.8 and make just as much hp and have better mpg. It makes shit ton of sense if you have a V6 which are found considerably cheaper.

The S4 is more expensive to mod, more expensive to work on, and considerably harder to find parts for.

Your set of circumstances are quite unique and not everyone is going to fall into the same catergory. I am not knocking on doing it or the fact you did it, its pretty bad ass. Your figures are off if you want it done right. Trust me I considered it since I can snatch an A6 motor, ECU, and harness up on the cheap that has 70k miles on it.

Andrep363
04-11-2013, 04:48 PM
I'm new to for form but not new to the audi world. i worked at santa Monica audi. went to school for cars all my life. complete gear head but unfortunately my insurance is extremely high i have a badd driving record thats why i don't work at a dealer anymore and cant drive the cars i want to drive. for some one who's 21 that makes roughly 500 a week i cant afford to daily drive a s4. i would just keep the 1.8t and fix it up to up the power but i want different and granted people have done this before. theres not many and i can do it up my way. i don't mind paying for s4 parts for it. you can get a good 2.7t for a good price!!!! I'm still looking into it but i am selling my other car this weekend to get more money. if i don't do it the swap then i will find something else to pick up. i will keep you guys updated thanks for the information and inputs!!!! i will keep you guys updated!! i also get paid tomorrow so ill be ready to drop it all down this weekend

nynoah
04-12-2013, 10:35 AM
Why do a swap on a car that you can buy that way from the factory? You want to do a cool swap grab a 1990 coupe quattro and put the 2.7tt in that. Its a lot of work, but a far cooler car when done.

TheKid84
04-12-2013, 10:58 AM
you are my hero, i would love to live in your area and help out :]

nynoah
04-12-2013, 11:57 AM
Unless you have a whole donor S4 that is totaled out, I would not do this. Its the smaller parts that add up fast and will kill your budget. Trust me, I daily drove a 85 golf II VR6 that I built while stationed in Germany. I know what it takes to do a swap and I know the money that adds up. I would never swap a car where I can buy the engine in there from the factory. Only way I would do that is if it was an uber rare configuration like a 914/6. But an S4 is not rare and just buying a used s4 will most likely cost less time (which is money) and real money.

You want cool swap points build a 1990 coupe 2.7tt. Check with the crazy swappers over at motorgeek.com for those sorts of things.