PDA

View Full Version : Engine Failure, low oil, stranded!!!! please help......

A4Rollin
04-05-2013, 09:22 PM
More problems and now engine failure.
Earlier, I was driving on the highway and when I slowed down for traffic the engine got VERY loud and was slightly shaking. Got to a gas station and saw the oil was bone dry!!!! (Noticed a leak by the oil filter). So I put a few quarts of oil in and let it run for a bit. The engine was still loud and ticking. I decided (bad idea) to drive it 20 min down the highway to get a hotel room. It drove ok but had a very hard time accelerating, and at 2k or less rpms is when it was very loud. Well, pulling up to the hotel the car seized up and I coasted into the parking lot luckily. Now the car won't crank, yet all the lights turn on.
I'm extremely terrified I really f$%#ed something up here. At first I thought maybe the injectors got clogged because of no oil prior, but I have no idea.....
Please any help is much appreciated before I go to a random shop in ATL.....

A4Rollin
04-06-2013, 04:58 AM
Morning bump for some help.....

Sveke0021
04-06-2013, 05:02 AM
Doesn't sound good bro. Sorry. Shop might be you're only choice.

Sounds like the wallet is gonna get a workout.

My cam chain snapped 4 months ago so I know the feeling. Just take a min and try to relax....its gonna hurt.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

98A4TurboAWD
04-06-2013, 06:47 AM
Low oil will not cause clogged fuel injectors. If you ran the engine without oil then you have seized the motor and it is junk. I would imagine that when it gets broken down again you will see some melted pistons and severe piston wall damage, hence why the car will not turn over.

No oil + highway will seize a motor up really quick. I've seen it. Just don't waste time with a starter. I had a customer call me saying their car wouldn't start. I am beating on the starter, checking connections, checking ignition, then I replaced the starter and it did the same thing. Then they tell me "Well the low oil light was on and it broke down on the highway."

This could have been brought to my attention YESTERDAY. So I put a socket on the crank and tried to spin it by hand to no avail - the engine was seized and was junk.

Guys this is just one reason why you should always check your oil every time you fill up for gas. While it's pumping pull the dipstick. It can prevent things like this.

Does this car have a low oil light? I have never seen mine come on so I wouldn't know. Also, I think Audi is stupid for putting in that stupid oil temp gauge over an oil pressure gauge. That's nonsense to me.

Threads like this make me want to have a mech. gauge installed because I hate not having one.

Sorry about your motor bro.

Tanzimur
04-06-2013, 07:48 AM
Low oil will not cause clogged fuel injectors. If you ran the engine without oil then you have seized the motor and it is junk. I would imagine that when it gets broken down again you will see some melted pistons and severe piston wall damage, hence why the car will not turn over.

No oil + highway will seize a motor up really quick. I've seen it. Just don't waste time with a starter. I had a customer call me saying their car wouldn't start. I am beating on the starter, checking connections, checking ignition, then I replaced the starter and it did the same thing. Then they tell me "Well the low oil light was on and it broke down on the highway."

This could have been brought to my attention YESTERDAY. So I put a socket on the crank and tried to spin it by hand to no avail - the engine was seized and was junk.

Guys this is just one reason why you should always check your oil every time you fill up for gas. While it's pumping pull the dipstick. It can prevent things like this.

Does this car have a low oil light? I have never seen mine come on so I wouldn't know. Also, I think Audi is stupid for putting in that stupid oil temp gauge over an oil pressure gauge. That's nonsense to me.

Threads like this make me want to have a mech. gauge installed because I hate not having one.

Hell yes, that oil temp. gauge is purely idiotic in my opinion but i installed an oil pressure gauge but you yprobably have rod knocks up the ass, buy new motor same model and throw it in is the best bet if you dont have tools then flex that wallet cause you got a shit ton of money to throw out

A4Rollin
04-06-2013, 07:55 AM
Well, just tried to crank the motor again this morning and I started! However it is knocking like crazy. I'm gonna guess a rod is cracked/bent and that is what is rattling inside the motor. Who knows if valves, piston(s) are shot which makes me conclude the motor is down without heavy rebuilding.... Motor swap or part the car which has over 5k in it as of December:..........

98A4TurboAWD
04-06-2013, 08:02 AM
Well, just tried to crank the motor again this morning and I started! However it is knocking like crazy. I'm gonna guess a rod is cracked/bent and that is what is rattling inside the motor. Who knows if valves, piston(s) are shot which makes me conclude the motor is down without heavy rebuilding.... Motor swap or part the car which has over 5k in it as of December:..........

I thought you said it wouldn't even crank?

Do not let the engine run anymore - you may have only spun a bearing or two. Keep running it and the rod may shoot out the side of the block. Get it towed and do not start it again. You may not have done as much damage as I assumed.

The engine isn't seized. When you said that you cranked it and it didn't turn that it was seized but obviously it is not. A seized motor will not crank at all because of bent or broken rods/egg shaped cylinders etc.

Don't run it anymore.

SN95Audi87
04-06-2013, 08:56 AM

Didn't Audi put the oil temp gauge for the monitoring of the turbocharger? I figure if you are doing some hard spirited driving its good to see the temps are getting hotter so you can tone it down a bit. Audi should have both oil pressure, and oil temp. My Mustang has oil pressure gauge stock, but its not accurate only reads over above a certain psi.

thenj3
04-06-2013, 09:15 AM
sounds like you spun a bearing(or multiple). don't run the motor any longer like was stated above. as far as what will need to be fixed, you won't know with out diving in. the bottom end will need new bearing, and most likely rods are damaged. the crank could also be shot. as for the head you would need to pull the valve cover and remove the cam cops and look for any type of scoring.

Avant Nate
04-06-2013, 09:47 AM
Now you can build a stroker.

98A4TurboAWD
04-06-2013, 11:34 AM
Didn't Audi put the oil temp gauge for the monitoring of the turbocharger? I figure if you are doing some hard spirited driving its good to see the temps are getting hotter so you can tone it down a bit. Audi should have both oil pressure, and oil temp. My Mustang has oil pressure gauge stock, but its not accurate only reads over above a certain psi.

I can't answer why they did.

I am not sure I agree with you about the spirited driving. The only use I can see for the oil temp gauge is that it's better to wait until your oil is at operating temp. before you start driving hard, and not as a tool to tone down when temps get hot. That isn't to say that if your gauge pegs out you shouldn't be concerned, but realistically, it would take an obscene amount of driving to really get your oil up to dangerous temperatures and with these cars being what they are, mostly daily drivers, I'm not sure that Audi had that in mind when they designed it.

I would say they are more useful in giving you an idea as to when you can drive hard, and not so much as when to tone down.

Unless it's common for people to pretend they're an indy car driver on their commute to work :)

SN95Audi87
04-07-2013, 06:46 PM

I am not sure I agree with you about the spirited driving. The only use I can see for the oil temp gauge is that it's better to wait until your oil is at operating temp. before you start driving hard, and not as a tool to tone down when temps get hot. That isn't to say that if your gauge pegs out you shouldn't be concerned, but realistically, it would take an obscene amount of driving to really get your oil up to dangerous temperatures and with these cars being what they are, mostly daily drivers, I'm not sure that Audi had that in mind when they designed it.

I would say they are more useful in giving you an idea as to when you can drive hard, and not so much as when to tone down.

Unless it's common for people to pretend they're an indy car driver on their commute to work :)

I've seen the temp go up a lot in the summer flying on the highway, but as soon as you let of and coast it goes back to normal 190-210 range. My parents denali had oil temp/oil pressure guage but I believe that was for the towing aspect of the truck. I just think its simple tool to monitor how hot the engine is getting.

ProAudi
04-07-2013, 06:52 PM
Funny story, people never learn...............

I decided (bad idea) to drive it 20 min down the highway to get a hotel room.

U just keep starting it, the noise will go away !! NOT !!

Seerlah
04-07-2013, 07:08 PM
I use my oil temp gauge all the time. In the morning time, I got to the point I will now boost if my coolant is up to temp. But before that, I would wait till at least 170*. That gauge is more useful than what you may think. Like...when your oil temps are at 250* while your coolant temp is dead set in the middle. Want to know what this lead to?

jvega21
04-07-2013, 07:25 PM
^^yes please

Seerlah
04-07-2013, 07:34 PM
Combustion gasses creeping past the piston rings, heating up my oil, causing my coolant to then overheat once engine was turned off (only after engine was turned off, due to no more radiator and circulation to keep the temps down), and basically explode out the reservoir (happened twice). Checked compression, and all numbers were down from my last checked 160-170psi across all cylinders. This is what forced me to do an engine build. Piston rings were done. And I want to say 250*, but it could have been higher (yeah, def was higher and the 250* was the "cool" oil during this ordeal).

jvega21
04-07-2013, 07:48 PM
Ouch. I was interested because I felt my oil temp was getting kinda high. But hasn't reached 250, so I think I'll be fine.

Seerlah
04-07-2013, 07:50 PM
I am pretty sure I was hitting 300. Need to look at my gauge tomorrow, but I had it past the haflway mark. haha. Anyways, that gauge def comes in handy. B6 guys need to place on an oil temp gauge for a luxury we get stock.

k_harley
05-05-2013, 09:44 AM
Hmmm... Karma????

Maybe this is the powers that be telling you to do something right?

Just sayin'....

tHatOne guY
05-05-2013, 12:58 PM
Combustion gasses creeping past the piston rings, heating up my oil, causing my coolant to then overheat once engine was turned off (only after engine was turned off, due to no more radiator and circulation to keep the temps down), and basically explode out the reservoir (happened twice). Checked compression, and all numbers were down from my last checked 160-170psi across all cylinders. This is what forced me to do an engine build. Piston rings were done. And I want to say 250*, but it could have been higher (yeah, def was higher and the 250* was the "cool" oil during this ordeal).

Hmm. Now that you mention that, I do recall seeing my ECT gauge a tick mark past halfway after the car has been driven and sat with the engine off for a bit. Makes sense. I thought it was due to a coolant mixture being more coolant than deionized\distilled water. Even during Phoenix's hottest day my oil temps have never reached the 250 mark though... yet. Will have to do compression and leak down tests now.

Nollywood
05-05-2013, 02:25 PM
I thought you said it wouldn't even crank?

Do not let the engine run anymore - you may have only spun a bearing or two. Keep running it and the rod may shoot out the side of the block. Get it towed and do not start it again. You may not have done as much damage as I assumed.

The engine isn't seized. When you said that you cranked it and it didn't turn that it was seized but obviously it is not. A seized motor will not crank at all because of bent or broken rods/egg shaped cylinders etc.

Don't run it anymore.

An engine run dry will seize up, which is what's happened here. When it cools down, the crank and camshaft journals, pistons etc will contract, and free up the motor. But it's still bad news, lack of oil will damage the camshaft first, then crank. The bores will most likely be fine, damage will most likely be spun bearings, and a scoured crank. Piston ringlands might have closed up, and the rings could stick as a result, but as it starts up, it's possible the crank locked up before this occured.

Depending on how good the OP is, a rebuild could be a better option - rods, crank, rings and oil pump. A stripdown and inspection would reveal what else is needed.

zandrew
05-05-2013, 02:47 PM
sounds like you spun a bearing(or multiple). don't run the motor any longer like was stated above. as far as what will need to be fixed, you won't know with out diving in. the bottom end will need new bearing, and most likely rods are damaged. the crank could also be shot. as for the head you would need to pull the valve cover and remove the cam cops and look for any type of scoring.

I'd agree with a spun bearing. If the motor was still warm the first time you tried to restart it and would not that would make sense. Once the car cooled down they will sometimes start. Just to clarify though you can not rebuild a block that has spun main bearing and most advise not using a crank with a spun rod bearing.

Do not run the motor anymore until having it checked out. I would start looking for another used motor or core to rebuild and replace the one you have. I found my core for $200 from my junk yard so they are out there.

Avant Nate
05-06-2013, 09:22 AM
I'd agree with a spun bearing. If the motor was still warm the first time you tried to restart it and would not that would make sense. Once the car cooled down they will sometimes start. Just to clarify though you can not rebuild a block that has spun main bearing and most advise not using a crank with a spun rod bearing.

Do not run the motor anymore until having it checked out. I would start looking for another used motor or core to rebuild and replace the one you have. I found my core for $200 from my junk yard so they are out there.
Excuse my ignorance, but why can't you rebuild a block that has spun a main bearing?

tHatOne guY
05-06-2013, 11:15 AM
Spun main bearings can take out the main bearing cap and saddle. Just depends on how badly the cap and saddle have been damaged. Usually cannot be corrected. Align honing can remove slight imperfections and bring your main cap/saddle tolerance to near ideal. Align honing is like honing your cylinders but for your main caps and saddles.

Not saying it cannot be done.

I personally have never rebuilt an engine with a spun main.

BattleWagon
05-07-2013, 09:39 AM

I am guilty.

walky_talky20
05-07-2013, 10:05 AM
Not so much indy car for me. More like DTM. And with the road construction as of late: WRC.

JAG2694
05-11-2013, 08:44 PM
Hmmm... Karma????

Maybe this is the powers that be telling you to do something right?

Just sayin'....

This.

You deserve it.

Expplucky
05-12-2013, 03:52 PM
This.

You deserve it.

word! KARAM loves to fuck a thief!