PDA

View Full Version : Mystery 2.8 Oil leak

Brennan610
04-02-2013, 06:40 PM
I have a 2001 2.8 30v, it's been leaking since I've gotten it.
So far I have replaced
both valve cover gaskets
cam caps
both cam tensioner gaskets
entire crank case breather hose
valley pan
The upper and lower oil pan gaskets look dry as well as the head gaskets.
I usually keep up with checking the oil so it's not low but I have let it get to about 1 - 1.5 quarts low at times but there was no oil pressure light and the engine still seems smooth.
I did notice a lot of oil residue down in the front kind of to the left of the oil filter, oil cooler gasket maybe? I need to take the front end off and do a real thorough check.

audifirst
04-02-2013, 07:08 PM
there is a rubber seal between the oil cooler and engine block, it is $4 part , easy to replace .. need to drain oil remove the oil filter, then remove the hollow screw that holds cooler to block and lose the cooler clean the back and install the seal and reinstall everything in reverse..

Brennan610
04-02-2013, 07:19 PM
Thanks, I'll be sure to do that. Are there any other possible leak spots to look for other than the ones I've already mentioned?

audifirst
04-03-2013, 01:43 PM
Thanks, I'll be sure to do that. Are there any other possible leak spots to look for other than the ones I've already mentioned?

another possibility are the exhaust or intake valve guides/seal are worn which will allow oil to be burned