PDA

View Full Version : Open Lapping at High Plains --This Saturday

100Daily
04-01-2013, 09:57 AM
I just got this email... Has anyone done this in the past? How was it?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Rocky Mountain Chapter - Audi Club of North America
Lapping Day At High Plains Raceway Reminder

Open Lapping at High Plains --This Saturday.

OPEN LAPPING DAY "Get Together" at High Plains Raceway

Saturday, April 6 2013

Join the Audi Club NA - Rocky Mountain Chapter "Track Rats" for a day at HPR.

Lapping days are when just about anyone can come out and do laps at HPR.
Street cars of all types are welcome. Obviously no wheel-to-wheel racing,
but an opportunity to exercise your car, race car, or motorcycle, experience
the circuit, and to improve your skills.

If you have ANY questions about HPR's Open Lapping Days, please first review
the Lapping Days Information Page as most all questions are addressed there.
If your question isn't answered there please contact track management.

Club members will receive a FREE lunch and $20 Rebate on the HPR Winter
Track Fee of $100 for the day (10:00- 4:00)

Register at http://www.highplainsraceway.com/lapping-days.html .

Email chris@audiclubrmc.org with questions or after confirming your registration on the HPR page so we know who will be attending.

Chris Sarian will be available for ride-alongs.
We'll also have helmets that you can borrow.

This is not an Audi Club sanctioned event so High Plains Raceway rules apply.

Operator
04-01-2013, 10:13 AM
It's a fun experience. I suggest, getting some beater wheels off craigslist, and some used tires though.

From last year: http://www.audizine.com/forum/showthread.php/475810-High-Plains-Raceway-(HPR)-Meet-GTG-June-15th

100Daily
04-01-2013, 10:22 AM
It's a fun experience. I suggest, getting some beater wheels off craigslist, and some used tires though.

From last year: http://www.audizine.com/forum/showthread.php/475810-High-Plains-Raceway-(HPR)-Meet-GTG-June-15th

Very helpful, thank you. Maybe this is a dumb question. Why beater wheels? Are there stones on the course?

I think you make a good point about the tires. My tires are still the original summer tires that came with my car, and I am pretty sure I would thrash them. If I thrash them my $100 track day becomes a $1000 track day after I get a fresh new set of tires. I think I may wait until they are getting close to shot, and then finish them off at the track.

For a bit it seemed like a traffic jam of fast cars with slow drivers (yellow vette). How many laps did you do? Are people good about getting out the way? I know I would happily let others pass me. It seems not everyone has that mentality.

drumnjuny
04-01-2013, 10:33 AM
does the audi club get to supersede the rules? just curious; i've never been on a track. what kind of rules do they have? (speed limit or something?)

Operator
04-01-2013, 10:48 AM
Very helpful, thank you. Maybe this is a dumb question. Why beater wheels? Are there stones on the course?

For a bit it seemed like a traffic jam of fast cars with slow drivers (yellow vette). How many laps did you do? Are people good about getting out the way? I know I would happily let others pass me. It seems not everyone has that mentality.

I say that just because, it's easier to have a beater set with dedicated track tires (used or not) already on them. I didn't notice and stones or the like off the track. It just seems like a good idea not to use nice "show" wheels on the track. As for traffic. Well that 1st vid isn't me. I'm the vid on the 2nd page, and you'll notice, much less traffic in the way there. It just all depends on the day. And yes, most people have proper track manners.

does the audi club get to supersede the rules? just curious; i've never been on a track. what kind of rules do they have? (speed limit or something?)

Since they aren't paying for a private track day, no:
This is not an Audi Club sanctioned event so High Plains Raceway rules apply.
If they had payed to solely use the track for the entire day with only AC members then within reason, they get to set their own guidelines.

drumnjuny
04-01-2013, 11:45 AM
that's what i meant actually [:p], so what guidelines would they set / remove? AKA what guidelines are there usually on the track? is there a speed limit? just curious

jjvwg
04-01-2013, 03:57 PM
Been a while since I've done a lapping session, and I've never been to HPR but basically they're looking for you to not be a dumbass, so no bumping(don't know why you'd want to anyway), no e-braking/drifting turns, no blocking(wave people on to let them pass you if you are holding them up), etc. remember, you're not racing out there, it's purely for the fun of it and becoming a better driver/ learning your car better, working on getting your lap times down, etc.

drumnjuny
04-01-2013, 04:06 PM
those all sound like rules i assumed were assumed haha. i guess some people need to be told

goslugsgo
04-01-2013, 04:53 PM
Stupidity is rampant. Walmart has a sign asking people to check their car for unattended children before leaving their vehicle.

monoseanism
04-01-2013, 07:12 PM
If I don't have to work, then I'll be there.

jjvwg
04-01-2013, 08:08 PM
One of the last times I was at second creek a guy in a BMW z4 was e braking turns tryin to drift and lost it a few times, they told him to stop or gtfo real fast

GreatZar
04-01-2013, 08:13 PM
that's what i meant actually [:p], so what guidelines would they set / remove? AKA what guidelines are there usually on the track? is there a speed limit? just curious
I was out at HPR in February (using my 18" snow tires on my A6). Did 5 laps to get a feel for the track, rest, then 3 laps to try to get better, rest, then 2 laps pseudo timed before quitting. LOTS OF FUN!!! Got there at 9:40am and left at 12:30pm.

Had one scary event on my second trip out (3 laps). There were 3-4 SCCA cars on the track at the same time. Passing the pit, I saw one coming behind me, so I stayed in the driving lane on the long straight (far left) at 80 instead of gunning it to let him pass. Another normal car decided to go far right and the SCCA came up through the middle of us. Scared the sh*t out of me.

There were two cars that went off the track while I was driving. Didn't see them do it and they were long gone when I got to the locations, but there was dirt/mud on the road as a result of their enthusiasm. During my first run, a car broke down on the track too and the tow truck came out to get him.

It'd be nice if Audi owned the track for the day so they could space cars out for runs (make it less likely to see traffic). That's one change I'd like to see.

All the above aside, I'll probably be out there Sat (have my summer 20"s on now).

drumnjuny
04-02-2013, 09:46 AM
fuuuuck i wanna go to the track so fucking bad :( i better get out there soon or i'm gonna lose it haha! need wheels tires rotors and to break them in, and i want a 4:1 diff...

jjvwg
04-02-2013, 11:09 AM
I feel ya Arjun, I need tires, suspension, and my car running 100% first.

HighAltitudeRS4
04-02-2013, 01:13 PM
Very helpful, thank you. Maybe this is a dumb question. Why beater wheels? Are there stones on the course? How many laps did you do? Are people good about getting out the way? I know I would happily let others pass me. It seems not everyone has that mentality.

After seeing you drive - you'd have a blast. You can push your car as hard as you want and Operator's suggestions about the wheels and tires are right on. I would also throw in to bring along some painter's tape. They sweep the course a couple times, but it's inevitable that rocks will be on the track and someone's tires will kick them up at high speeds.

Or on a random private day if you get lucky, sometimes you have the place to yourself:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BHhTeneDyqE

100Daily
04-02-2013, 03:30 PM
After seeing you drive - you'd have a blast. You can push your car as hard as you want and Operator's suggestions about the wheels and tires are right on. I would also throw in to bring along some painter's tape. They sweep the course a couple times, but it's inevitable that rocks will be on the track and someone's tires will kick them up at high speeds.

Or on a random private day if you get lucky, sometimes you have the place to yourself:

Good to know, that does look like a blast. Is that you driving? If so, holy crap that looked like fun. I hate to admit, but my only track time was at Second Creek Raceway a couple times (as discussed before). I am a total track newb, but I think I would be fine. They say every man thinks they are a good driver, so I am glad someone with track experience can validate I should be ok.

I am certainly going to track my car at least once this summer, but like Operator said I think I want to wait until my tires are at the right point. The good news is that I only put 5k miles on my new tires that came with my car, and they are already nearing the tread bars so that day will be soon.

HighAltitudeRS4
04-02-2013, 04:31 PM
Good to know, that does look like a blast. Is that you driving? If so, holy crap that looked like fun. I hate to admit, but my only track time was at Second Creek Raceway a couple times (as discussed before). I am a total track newb, but I think I would be fine. They say every man thinks they are a good driver, so I am glad someone with track experience can validate I should be ok.

It was. Getting to drive those cars at HPR on empty days was a bucket list item for sure.

My first time ever on a track was in 2010, and my goal the whole day was just to avoid being "that guy" who passed in stupid places or blocked faster traffic. Just like GreatZar said, it's amazing how your comfort level builds throughout the day on the track. Going on a day with Audis only sounds like alot more fun than an average open lapping day.

There's also the Aspen Automobili event coming up this summer which brings out some pretty impressive vehicles for a drive up there and then a private track day.

drumnjuny
04-02-2013, 06:58 PM
i've been on many tracks... in gran turismo. but yeah i'm definitely not gonna be running beater wheels haha... idk if the rocks are really gonna be that intense on my wheels and my front and can definitely afford a few rock chips, its definitely nowhere close to perfect!!

but i mean... i only want to buy high performance lightweight wheels in order to use them on the track, using them daily is just a hazard haha. if anything i would keep nice forged wheels for track only and cast wheels for dailies :P

monoseanism
04-03-2013, 07:33 PM
I just called high plains for some information about this Saturday, mentioned that there might be an audi club meeting up. The guy had no idea about it, said not many people had signed up yet. It's this Saturday right?

100Daily
04-04-2013, 07:07 AM
I just called high plains for some information about this Saturday, mentioned that there might be an audi club meeting up. The guy had no idea about it, said not many people had signed up yet. It's this Saturday right?

You are suppose to email that Chris dude with questions. chris@audiclubrmc.org It's not an exclusive Audi Club event, so maybe that is why the guy didn't know.

drumnjuny
04-04-2013, 07:46 AM
100Daily - i wanna see what your car does on a mustang dyno, haha. i've seen mustang dynos of bone stock 3.0T's putting down 320-330 whp but only at sea level... interested in what you'd come up with here; theoretically a turbocharger can accomodate more to altitude than supercharger right? b/c the turbo can run higher rpms at the same engine speed? just trying to think about it.

i can't wait to dyno at altitude and see how much power i lose hahaha.

jjvwg
04-04-2013, 08:37 AM
i can't wait to dyno at altitude and see how much power i lose hahaha.

Typically 3% per 1000ft elevation increase. Obviously this won't be a linear loss, but I doubt there is much deviance up to 5-6000ft.

drumnjuny
04-04-2013, 08:56 AM
yeah that's what i've heard, but turbochargers compensate slightly for that loss don't they? 15% is pretty bad haha that's like 60whp @ 400whp ... hopefully its not that low! lol

dJason
04-04-2013, 10:02 AM
If you're going to do HPR this Saturday, you should sign up in advance, if they don't get a minimum of 10 cars the day is cancelled.

monoseanism
04-04-2013, 10:53 AM
You are suppose to email that Chris dude with questions. chris@audiclubrmc.org It's not an exclusive Audi Club event, so maybe that is why the guy didn't know.

Yeah, i was mostly asking questions about the track, not about this Audi club get together. Still surprising tho that no one has registered yet. I might have to work on saturday so i cant pre-register.

jjvwg
04-04-2013, 11:26 AM
yeah that's what i've heard, but turbochargers compensate slightly for that loss don't they? 15% is pretty bad haha that's like 60whp @ 400whp ... hopefully its not that low! lol

Yea, I'm not sure if that's for NA or turbo.

GreatZar
04-06-2013, 08:30 PM
I think people wait until Thr or Fri to sign up for winter/spring because the weather is dicey. 66 cars at HPR today. 15-20 Audis (8+ w/the club). Fast and slow groups alternated every 30 minutes. Nissan GTR and Tesla were some interesting visitors during the fast session (while I was watching/waiting). No tow truck incidents or spin outs that I know of either. Freakin' GREAT day!