PDA

View Full Version : VAG-COM - alright, I'm in

VroomVroom
03-25-2013, 03:59 PM
Had a very pleasant exchange with Hugh @ EuropaParts today, and the order has been placed. ThunderDent, spijun, D_Frost, Birdman...I blame, errrr, credit you guys for this. [>_<]

I've been searching, scrolling, roaming, and pondering. Here's my list thus far:

Automatic Gear Selection
Gauge Sweep
Remove seat belt chime
Adaptive brake lights
Remote windows & sunroof
Enable MMI hidden menu

I'd like to do the Motorway mod as well, but I haven't found the exact coding. If you've done this, would you mind sharing?

I'm also mulling over VIM, and I think I'm interested in the ambience lighting mod. If you've done this one, would you mind sharing feedback? Is it really just about the brightness of the foot-level lighting?

Thanks in advance...

ThunderDent
03-25-2013, 08:31 PM
I don't have them handy, but I've done all those. VIM was the trickiest, just figuring out your code. Th ambient lighting is cool, but I keep.it dark mostly. Kinda distracting with it up.

I got most of my info from internet sites. I'll look into it more when I have some time and get back.

D_Frost
03-25-2013, 09:49 PM
This is a good place to start :)

http://www.audienthusiasts.com/VagCom.html

And thanks for the blame/credit... all to make you enjoy your Q even more hehe ;)

spijun
03-25-2013, 11:07 PM
Maybe this:

http://www.stemei.de/media/pages/coding/audi_a5_8t/autobahnlicht_667x500.jpg

In German but Chrome with a translator [:)]
http://www.stemei.de/pages/coding/audi-q5-8r/autobahnlicht.php

Here is interesting links for coding:

http://www.audizine.com/forum/showthread.php/403694-VCDS-amp-Hidden-menu-The-complete-list or

http://www.audizine.com/forum/showthread.php/278256-Cool-VAG-COM-codes or

http://a6retrofit.tripod.com/articles/a5vagcodes.html [wrench]

gdawg'05a4
03-26-2013, 07:19 AM
Here's what I did on our Q5:

Oil Temp
Remote Windows
VIM
Disable seat belt chime
Disable winking
Efficiency program (limited due to no start/stop)
Cornering fog light
Ambiance lighting
Battery display in MMI
Key message in DIS
Adaptive brake lighting
Gear selection for both D and S
MMI hidden menu
ADS for steering

Ambiance lighting is for the foot well area (front and rear). It adds a nice touch at night when you can actually see it. You can control how bright you want it.

Hugh@EuropaParts
03-26-2013, 09:40 AM
Thank you for the kind words Jerry! [up]

kenny kustom
03-29-2013, 02:29 PM
What's the efficiency program?

VroomVroom
03-29-2013, 03:53 PM
FYI... Got the cable yesterday, and made some (cough) meeting time (/cough) just now to go play out in the parking lot. Boom. Really couldn't be easier. Here's where I'm at thus far:

Enabled automatic gear display for D/S
Enabled gauge test/needle sweep
Removed seat belt chime
Enabled adaptive brake lights
Enabled hidden menu in MMI
Enabled ambience lighting (turned it up to '4' via the hidden menu)

I seem to have failed on the remote operation of windows & sunroof. Digging back into that now, and may peruse the list to see what other fun I can have on this nice Friday afternoon.

Quick moral of the story...if you're remotely considering this purchase, DO IT. Seeing that first gauge sweep made me ask the inevitable....why didn't I do this sooner?

spijun
03-29-2013, 04:04 PM
What's the efficiency program?

http://www.audi.com/com/brand/en/tools/advice/glossary/driver_information_system.browser.html

http://www.audi.com/etc/medialib/ngw/product/technology/images_.Par.0301.Image.jpg/detailview_bcme_01.jpg

kenny kustom
03-29-2013, 04:36 PM
Ok. I've seen that on my display.

VroomVroom
03-29-2013, 05:13 PM
Turns out I already had the efficiency display enabled....the stuff you learn, right?

A little help, if I could trouble the kind experts for an assist? I have somehow disabled access to Ambience Lighting. It shows up in the 'Car' menu, but it is grayed out. It wasn't, for a moment or two, and I was able to go in to dial up a new value, but then...poof. I notice there's a way to adjust the value in the hidden menu - if that's what I've messed up, anyone know the correct value? (I've tried 0, 1, and 5 so far.)

Kinda' curious about the 'Adjust Consumption in DIS' mod. Anyone know the history behind this one, and if it's necessary? The figures I see seem to be quite close to what I get when manually checking consumption, so I'm not sure if this one should be on my list.

Finally - I enabled the lap timer, if only to be able to see the oil temp. Anyone familiar with how to go about viewing this?

Thanks, as always!

spijun
03-29-2013, 05:30 PM
Turns out I already had the efficiency display enabled....the stuff you learn, right?

A little help, if I could trouble the kind experts for an assist? I have somehow disabled access to Ambience Lighting. It shows up in the 'Car' menu, but it is grayed out. It wasn't, for a moment or two, and I was able to go in to dial up a new value, but then...poof. I notice there's a way to adjust the value in the hidden menu - if that's what I've messed up, anyone know the correct value? (I've tried 0, 1, and 5 so far.)

Kinda' curious about the 'Adjust Consumption in DIS' mod. Anyone know the history behind this one, and if it's necessary? The figures I see seem to be quite close to what I get when manually checking consumption, so I'm not sure if this one should be on my list.

Finally - I enabled the lap timer, if only to be able to see the oil temp. Anyone familiar with how to go about viewing this?

Thanks, as always!

http://www.audienthusiasts.com/VagComINLight.html
Very important reset the MMI ,this is done by pushing down the Setup – Scroll Wheel and top right menu buttons at the same time.

idale
03-29-2013, 05:42 PM

If the car's giving you the correct numbers, then there's no need to adjust the modifier in VCDS. It's just if it's too much over/under and you want to get it closer to reality. :)

VroomVroom
03-29-2013, 06:08 PM
Thanks, spijun - my apologies for not going into more detail. I've followed that procedure three times now - still the same issue. I've also changed the hidden menu settings back and restarted the MMI then as well. I'm puzzled, to say the least.

Just did the VIM action...now to search for a DVD to test on the drive home.

gdawg'05a4
03-30-2013, 07:23 AM
To get to the oil temp/lap timer, hit the reset button to scroll through the DIS screens.

I had a similar issue with one of the other menus (forget which). I set the coding back to original, power down then back on and then did the coding again which resolved the issue.

VroomVroom
03-30-2013, 09:37 AM
To get to the oil temp/lap timer, hit the reset button to scroll through the DIS screens.

I had a similar issue with one of the other menus (forget which). I set the coding back to original, power down then back on and then did the coding again which resolved the issue.
Thanks. I did get the oil temp to work on the drive home last night - it just took awhile. Seems like it doesn't want to report until at least 150 degrees F? In any case, cool feature.

I also did the VIM mod, which worked like a charm. It took two trips, only because the offline code generator wouldn't run on my Win8 laptop. So, on trip one I copied the s/n, and then went back inside to where the internet access resides, used the online generator, and went back out. (Retried the Ambience Lighting on both trips...still a fail.) My wife got a kick out of watching 'Tropic Thunder' while we ran errands last night.

Probably sounds stupid, but for now I disabled the aux vent feature in the MMI. I got sick of seeing the flashing fan symbol in the bottom center of the DIS. Dig the feature, but for as rarely as I'll use it, the flashing symbol is too darn annoying. Anyone else gone down this road? Curious if there's a setting I may be missing or something...

This morning I'm going back out to play with the Ambience Lighting some more. Hopefully it's just something silly I missed, perhaps in the hidden MMI screens. Weird.

Thanks again for the input and advice. I'm like a witch in a broom factory with this action.

VroomVroom
03-30-2013, 11:39 AM
No more edge of your seat....Ambience Lighting is fixed. No shock here, the problem was right between the seat and steering wheel. I don't remember doing it, but in the hidden menu, I'd managed to check off 'Interior Lighting' in the car > carprotocollswitch menu. Nothing else in there was checked...so I unchecked that pesky item and...boom.

Adding to the valuable links in this thread, here's one more, which speaks specifically to the ambience lighting mod:

http://www.audizine.com/forum/showthread.php/346857-DIY-Ambiance-Lighting-%28Full-time-adjustable-foot-lighting%29

Now I'm off to roam the forums for more goodies. My two huge wish list items, in case any experts might be so inclined...

Radio: Default to 'Presets' instead of 'AM'. I'd love to just switch stations via the steering wheel scroll wheel, instead of going through the mode button and then selecting presets.

Nav: Default view to Map instead of destination. I love that Audi doesn't do the legal eagle thing (a la Lexus), but I'd love to just fire up the car and see my map view.

VroomVroom
04-01-2013, 12:18 PM
Ok, I actually went a full day without taking my laptop out the car. Some thoughts, for whatever they may be worth...

First, another round of kudos to Hubert @ Europa....excellent service. Super-quick response time on questions, and just-as-fast shipping.

I said this earlier, but it bears another round: If you're remotely considering this....do it. The software honestly couldn't be easier to use, and the results will make you smile.

There are roughly a gazillion-and-a-half internet forum threads on this topic. Some are great. Some, frankly, suck. The links offered by others in this thread are certainly in the former category. I got a lot of value, to include helping me decide which mods aren't applicable (or interesting) to me.

If it offers any value, my sig now contains a link to the .pdf I generated for MY mods. Mostly copy & paste, but I tried to make things consistent, and to include any extra steps or means of testing changes. I suspect this document will grow longer over time.

Seems like my wish list is a very common one. Apparently the map-as-default view has come to life for MY2013. Any Q5 owners willing to confirm/deny? If so, I'd assume that bodes good things for the possibility of a programming retrofit for those of us with earlier models.

One mod I'd love to revise is the auxiliary ventilation. I can certainly enable it as-needed within MMI, but it'd be cool to have it in place by default....without seeing the flashing fan icon in the bottom of the DIS. Wah, wah. :)

jinx_q5
04-10-2013, 07:54 AM
Hello, new to the forum. I have a newbie question, which ones on the website are you guys downloading to make this modification? I just want my DRL brighter wherein my dealer refused to do.

BirdmanQ5
04-10-2013, 08:06 AM
Hello, new to the forum. I have a newbie question, which ones on the website are you guys downloading to make this modification? I just want my DRL brighter wherein my dealer refused to do.

You don't "download" VAGCOM mods. You need a cable that plugs your car into your computer, then using the software that comes with the cable you change certain values in a bit coder to change conditions of the car. With a newer car, most have the long code helper and it's simplified into check boxes, eg. "Fog Lights As Running Lights" with a check box next to it, or traditionally 00010000 would need to be changed to 00000010

It's much less complicated than I'm making it sound

themaxvoltage
04-15-2013, 08:17 PM
So I have a B7 A4 and to adjust VAG-COM settings I just bought a cheapy cable, plugged it into my laptop and used the freeware VAG-COM that came with it....

But to adjust settings I had to change the bytes to make it work; is that still possible with my old version of VAGCOM or am i going to have to get new software?

spijun
04-17-2013, 01:49 AM
So I have a B7 A4 and to adjust VAG-COM settings I just bought a cheapy cable, plugged it into my laptop and used the freeware VAG-COM that came with it....

But to adjust settings I had to change the bytes to make it work; is that still possible with my old version of VAGCOM or am i going to have to get new software?

With cheap cable-Chinese clone, you can not do a software update that will be functional. With the upgrade you will block and cheap clone cable.
This is protection from Ross Tech company, blockade of Chinese clones

VroomVroom
06-12-2013, 11:26 AM
Reviving this one, simply to mention one additional 'bonus' with the cable and software... the ability to do the SRI (Service Reminder Interval) reset yourself. A click on the main 'page' of the app, followed by a dropdown selection, and then another click....boom.

Grumble grumble....it seems really silly to me that Audi prevents the DIYer from doing this without the interface. I can appreciate the marketing logic of pointing customers to the dealer network for maintenance work, but this, IMO, is a step too far. Wah.

Anyway, if you prefer to do basic maintenance yourself, here's yet another reason to make the purchase.

iconoclast
06-13-2013, 06:23 PM
Probably sounds stupid, but for now I disabled the aux vent feature in the MMI. I got sick of seeing the flashing fan symbol in the bottom center of the DIS. Dig the feature, but for as rarely as I'll use it, the flashing symbol is too darn annoying.

how did you enable it via mmi? i have a Q7 and on mine the aux shows up on the screen but it is 'greyed out' and i still cant get the aux hvac to enable or be programmed... i was able to set it up and the mmi system acknowledges it and has a menu but it tells me that the system is not available at this time. same for tilt display.

anyone here been able to do the battery meter on mmi-3g+ systems (Q7)?

VroomVroom
06-13-2013, 06:28 PM
how did you enable it via mmi? i have a Q7 and on mine the aux shows up on the screen but it is 'greyed out' and i still cant get the aux hvac to enable or be programmed... i was able to set it up and the mmi system acknowledges it and has a menu but it tells me that the system is not available at this time. same for tilt display.

My memory is dangerous, but I believe I went into the hidden menu and unchecked the aux heating option under 'cardevicelist'.

If I'm reading things correctly, the battery meter functionality does not exist on 3G+ systems.

iconoclast
06-13-2013, 06:35 PM
you unchecked? i'll give it a shot tomorrow but sounds odd that you would disable it in the green menu to make it work...

VroomVroom
06-13-2013, 07:11 PM
Sorry....I read your post wrong. I'd commented that I disabled it, and I thought that was what you were asking about...my apologies.

To enable it, I did the VCDS programming, followed by marking the box in the MMI hidden menu. It worked like a charm, but left a constant flashing light on the instrument cluster that bugged me...hence disabling it. I've got my cheat sheet with all of my coding at the office - if you need the VCDS steps I'll be happy to post them tomorrow. Sorry again for the confusion.

spijun
06-13-2013, 08:13 PM

For Q7 on German but Chrome with a translator: [:)]
http://www.stemei.de/pages/coding/audi-q7-4l/batterieladezustand.php

iconoclast
06-14-2013, 02:37 AM
thank you! however that is for the mmi-3g not 3g+ found on 2012 and newer models.