PDA

View Full Version : 1999 1.8t AEB engine stall, battery replaced, tba done. TERRIBLE IDLE

crazexr7
03-19-2013, 06:26 PM
Can anyone help me out here? My dad just bought this avant for my sister. It's a 1999 A4 Avant Quattro 1.8t POS. K04 Turbo, big intercooler, Stage 2 tune by I think APR, not sure. I drove over to Mass to pick it up today but when I went to start it it always had a tough time starting. Was on my way to autozone to fill up coolant (It has a leak) and it ended up dying on me going up a hill. The turbo kept spooling until the engine finally cut out. Went to go start it up again and the battery was dead.

So I just replaced the battery and went through a TBA.

I've done the Throttle body alignment for a drive by cable. That literally did nothing and the idle is COMPLETELY shitty.

I've also done the steps I found here http://www.audiforums.com/forum/diy-do-yourself-55/audi-a4-b5-throttle-body-alignment-problem-not-aligning-rough-idle-hunting-idle-160531/

When I did the Idle Speed Adaptation I used the login 01283. Not sure If I need to use the other code but it accepted it.

And it did nothing as well. The engine idles like shit and shakes the whole car [headbang]

Please help [=(]

crazexr7
03-19-2013, 07:08 PM
I was thinking it could be the ICM/ coil packs. But the car was literally running fine a couple hours ago until it died. And on top of that I cleared all the codes for the engine (just minor stuff, engine speed exceeded and EVAP) and nothing came up for miss fires. But it definitely sounds reaaally rough. Also the turbo makes whining noises when applying throttle

SGS
03-19-2013, 07:27 PM
I just had a problem with my idle. (car sounded like it was a v8 with a cam) and it ended up being the icm. Have you tried unplugging the maf and see if that changes the way it runs? Have you pulled the coil packs and checked the boots/ spark plugs? What do they look like? It's wierd that you are not getting misfire codes though and that would lead me to believe that the icm/coils/plugs are good. I would start there. Also is it running rich/lean or what seems to be normal? It could be more of a fueling issue and everyone knows that every internal combustion engine needs air, fuel, and spark or what we say in the jet engine worl SPARK BANG BOOM engine light off.. Hopefully this helps a little bit and someone with more intel can add their knowlege

crazexr7
03-19-2013, 07:32 PM
I just had a problem with my idle. (car sounded like it was a v8 with a cam) and it ended up being the icm. Have you tried unplugging the maf and see if that changes the way it runs? Have you pulled the coil packs and checked the boots/ spark plugs? What do they look like? It's wierd that you are not getting misfire codes though and that would lead me to believe that the icm/coils/plugs are good. I would start there. Also is it running rich/lean or what seems to be normal? It could be more of a fueling issue and everyone knows that every internal combustion engine needs air, fuel, and spark or what we say in the jet engine worl SPARK BANG BOOM engine light off.. Hopefully this helps a little bit and someone with more intel can add their knowlege

Have not tried the maf. I'll try that tomorrow.

I have not pulled the packs/ spark plugs. It didn't give me a cel for any missfires so I felt as if I didn't have to. I'll still check them. A buddy is going to let me swap his coil packs/ICM to see if it changes.

I'm not sure if it's running rich or lean. I'm goin to say rich. You can smell the exhaust from inside the cabin. Reaaally smelly. But it definitely runs but really really rough and it definitely shakes the car.

coolgraymemo
03-19-2013, 07:36 PM
Does the car have a boost gauge?

crazexr7
03-19-2013, 07:38 PM
Does the car have a boost gauge?

Yes. From a Mitsubishi Evo.

coolgraymemo
03-19-2013, 07:39 PM
So there are no vacuum leaks?

SGS
03-19-2013, 07:39 PM
It's always safer to run a litte richer but NOT to rich because then you run into problems. Hopefully it ends up being something easy to fix but i would start there. I changed my coilpacks with used ones (thank god) and that didnt fix it and just swaped in a used icm today and my car is running like a champ so maybe it'll be the same way but i was getting the flashing ecl and everything else but i do not have a vag-com reader -_-

crazexr7
03-19-2013, 07:40 PM
So there are no vacuum leaks?

Not sure I didn't really test for that/know how.

It's always safer to run a litte richer but NOT to rich because then you run into problems. Hopefully it ends up being something easy to fix but i would start there. I changed my coilpacks with used ones (thank god) and that didnt fix it and just swaped in a used icm today and my car is running like a champ so maybe it'll be the same way but i was getting the flashing ecl and everything else but i do not have a vag-com reader -_-

I really hope it's something easy, I'm pulling my hair out over this [headbang]

coolgraymemo
03-19-2013, 07:41 PM
Could be as simple as a vacuum line popping off.

crazexr7
03-19-2013, 07:41 PM
Would the radio being in safe mode cause this? I didn't bother to get it out...

crazexr7
03-19-2013, 07:42 PM
Could be as simple as a vacuum line popping off.

I'll have to look around then... will update tomorrow.

SGS
03-19-2013, 07:50 PM
I really hope it's something easy, I'm pulling my hair out over this [headbang][/QUOTE]

I know how you feel. I had nightmares last nigh about having blow by issues with my motor until i swaped out the icm today and it worked

coolgraymemo
03-19-2013, 07:55 PM
Would the radio being in safe mode cause this? I didn't bother to get it out...

Don't think so.

ray4624
03-19-2013, 08:01 PM
sounds like a coil or ICM
let it run for a second and see if it throws a code
my car was doing this last week and it was a coil that had gone bad

also try unplugging the MAF and see if the idle smooths out

crazexr7
03-19-2013, 08:16 PM
I really hope it's the ICM. Ik when we picked up the car today I really thought the coilpacks/ICM was going because it took so long to get it to start. It's just weird how it went from running good to running like complete crap now that I changed the battery. But when that turbo spooled before it stalled out, it did scare me.

coolgraymemo
03-19-2013, 08:18 PM
What do you mean, "the turbo spooled before it stalled?"

crazexr7
03-19-2013, 08:23 PM
What do you mean, "the turbo spooled before it stalled?"

Felt like it was gaining a lot of boost I think. I really know nothing about turbos sorry for that. But it was working hard up the hill and then when the car died it sort of released pressure.

ray4624
03-19-2013, 08:29 PM
if the car needs an ICM you should just convert them to the 2.0 coils.
its initally 400 for everything if you use the plug and play 034 conversion but you could just do the wiring yourself but the coils are like 1/8 the price of AEB coils.
and make sure you replace them with OEM parts...these are one thing you dont want to cheap out on

crazexr7
03-19-2013, 08:32 PM
if the car needs an ICM you should just convert them to the 2.0 coils.
its initally 400 for everything if you use the plug and play 034 conversion but you could just do the wiring yourself but the coils are like 1/8 the price of AEB coils.
and make sure you replace them with OEM parts...these are one thing you dont want to cheap out on

Oh yes, definitely will do that if that's the case. I know not to cheap out on stuff like that.

Tanzimur
03-19-2013, 08:37 PM
while your doing so, why not clean off that maf with some MAF CLEANER ONLY and the throttle body while your at it helped me get out of my shitty idle

crazexr7
03-19-2013, 08:45 PM
^ I probably should, might as well. Thanks for all the responses guys I'll update as soon as I find out anything else. I'm really thinking it's misfiring, because of how loud the idle is and it shaking the car, so it could very well be the ICM/coils. I was just not sure since a CEL never came up for it when I had it idling for a few minutes. I'm also really starting to appreciate my 2.8 more lol.

haliceaa4
03-19-2013, 11:14 PM
It wouldn't have anything to do with the Apr program would it? In the wrong one maybe? Did u pit the wrong gas in? What boost are u getting? Fuel filter maybe?
Sent from my PG86100 using Xparent Red Tapatalk 2

MiniBoost
03-19-2013, 11:18 PM
i thought once the battery died that the throttle body has to be reset by vag-com? i know ima have to do this after my battery being disconnected for the last 3-4 months or is there away around it

crazexr7
03-20-2013, 05:27 AM
It wouldn't have anything to do with the Apr program would it? In the wrong one maybe? Did u pit the wrong gas in? What boost are u getting? Fuel filter maybe?
Sent from my PG86100 using Xparent Red Tapatalk 2

Idk. No I only put 93 in these cars. I'll check boost later today. And I don't think its the fuel filter

crazexr7
03-20-2013, 05:28 AM
i thought once the battery died that the throttle body has to be reset by vag-com? i know ima have to do this after my battery being disconnected for the last 3-4 months or is there away around it

What do you mean reset? I have vag com and did a throttle body adaptation along with an idle speed adaptation.

rockersteady
03-20-2013, 05:47 AM
you got one hell of a boost leak, check the big hoses, ones popped off.

walky_talky20
03-20-2013, 06:51 AM
^Yep. This is what happens when the clamps aren't tight, and a 2.8 owner is having a *bit* too much fun with the boost. lol.

crazexr7
03-20-2013, 06:59 AM

^Yep. This is what happens when the clamps aren't tight, and a 2.8 owner is having a *bit* too much fun with the boost. lol.

Which hoses should I check? Intercooler hoses? It may have scraped slightly while getting off the flat bed when I towed it to my house. And yes I did give it some gas before it went out lol. But I didn't think it would do that [confused]. Still like my 2.8 [:p]

walky_talky20
03-20-2013, 07:03 AM
Yep. Check the hose connections between the turbo outlet and the throttle body. From your description, it sounds like one of them is leaking.

crazexr7
03-20-2013, 07:20 AM
Yep. Check the hose connections between the turbo outlet and the throttle body. From your description, it sounds like one of them is leaking.

Thanks walky, checking it soon...

crazexr7
03-20-2013, 07:28 AM
Sure enough here's the hose connection to the front mount
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/03/20/ebusahaz.jpg

Trying to hook it back up now.

cruciform
03-20-2013, 08:00 AM
NM- didn't see last post.

walky_talky20
03-20-2013, 08:43 AM
Good Work.

Still like my 2.8 [:p]

And rightly so. This debilitating failure is UN-possible on a 2.8. You eliminate a lot of failure points simply by not having a turbo under the hood. This is also a great example of how performance modifications almost always decrease the reliability of the vehicle.

crazexr7
03-20-2013, 10:19 AM
Good Work.

And rightly so. This debilitating failure is UN-possible on a 2.8. You eliminate a lot of failure points simply by not having a turbo under the hood. This is also a great example of how performance modifications almost always decrease the reliability of the vehicle.

Exactly why. I like the reliability.
Thanks everyone for the help. Especially rockersteady and walky. Car runs great now! [up][up][up]

silverman
03-20-2013, 11:19 AM
Screw reliability, that thing is a blast to drive...as long as you don't touch anything inside.

The hose took like 15 min to fix too. I'd say you like the 2.8 because lazy, but I'm usually the one standing around!

ray4624
03-20-2013, 11:56 AM
Eh I like my turbo. Glad to see you got everything sorted out. Post some pics of the car

crazexr7
03-20-2013, 12:35 PM
Screw reliability, that thing is a blast to drive...as long as you don't touch anything inside.

The hose took like 15 min to fix too. I'd say you like the 2.8 because lazy, but I'm usually the one standing around!

Haha yeah that's definitely it. I like not having to mess with anything engine wise. I get to just pay attention to driving it.

Eh I like my turbo. Glad to see you got everything sorted out. Post some pics of the car

Will do it's gonna go get washed so after that there will be pics. The interior is god awful dirty too. I want to burn my skin anytime I drive the thing lol.

crazexr7
03-20-2013, 04:00 PM
Here's some pics.
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/03/21/pu6eny2u.jpg
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/03/21/eby8eqyz.jpg
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/03/21/6a4e5eru.jpg

She's cleaning the interior up right now. Its got the blue/white interior which I used to hate but now its sort of growing on me.

coolgraymemo
03-20-2013, 04:07 PM
Those stickers have got to go.

ray4624
03-20-2013, 04:15 PM
that IC piping looks interesting.
theres got to be some way to fit all that under a bumper as that fmic doesnt look that big.
over all though the car looks pretty good.

crazexr7
03-20-2013, 04:27 PM
Those stickers have got to go.

For sure. I'm thinking about her leaving the "not sponsored by mummy & daddy" sticker for irony. It's all coming off though lol.

that IC piping looks interesting.
theres got to be some way to fit all that under a bumper as that fmic doesnt look that big.
over all though the car looks pretty good.

Yeah I'm thinking we can reroute it so it's not that low. The tubing is way too low on the passenger side. I'm thinking we can raise the fmic up a little more too.

walky_talky20
03-20-2013, 05:20 PM
Whoa, just saw the bumper situation. Who would do that? I can't even...I don't....just...why?

crazexr7
03-20-2013, 05:58 PM
Whoa, just saw the bumper situation. Who would do that? I can't even...I don't....just...why?

It had a lot to do with the lower intercooler piping. And the front mount stuck out I guess. I know the guy who did it before, he told me he had to do it. I'm not going to question it. But I do wish it wasn't the case. He did say it's a bigger front mount than usual and he has no idea what brand it is.

SGS
03-20-2013, 08:34 PM
Thats whats up. Good thing it was the easiest fix