PDA

View Full Version : New owner needs help! Thank you!

audi.jz
03-19-2013, 05:42 PM
Hi everyone,

Don't know what's the best place to post this thread, so here it is

mom recently purchased a 2013, Daytona Grey, Q5 2.0T. Dealer was able to locate the car, enroute from Germany and delivery will be first week of April. As this is the first luxury car our family purchased, and are planning on keeping it for a long time(8-10yrs), I want to protect it right from day 1.

The dealer was trying to sell me a bunch of stuff post purchase, I need help to decide which to get and which to forget about.

1. Audi care
- I think this is something I need to get. However, mom only puts on about 10,000km/yr, I know we can go by time rather than km, but does it make sense to have the 75,000km service at ~50,000km(aprox. in 5yrs)?

- The dealer says we can purchase this package within 12 month of delivery, so maybe I'll get it at the end of 12 month mark?

2. Extended warranty
- Should we purchase this now? or after the 4 yr manufacture warranty ends?
- mom wants the piece of mind, and we were contemplating between $0 or $100 deductible, or $150? brings down the cost to about $2000 for 86mth/10,0000km

3. Audi after care
- This one includes Road Hazard, Leather tear, windshield, dent repair, remote key and windshield repair/replace
(don't think we'll buy it, unless someone urges otherwise)

4. Xzilon ($499)
- Have had mixed reviews online, thinking about getting C1/Opti-coat/Cquartz instead? need your help

5. Protection film ($499)
- Covers half of the hood and side mirrors (don't remember if front bumper is covered)
- is it worth it or should I get Clear bra after we get the car?
- After reading many reviews I've lost much confidence in having the dealership touch our car... (Although my dealer might be different? they may be one of the few who does a pristine job on detailing related works? am I dreaming?)

6. Rust protection module ($1000)
- Was very impressed/amazed when I first heard this technology, but after doing some research it seem to be a big bogus piece of xxxx.. and near impossible to get them to honor the warranty should rust occur. So No?

7. Interior protection($499)
- Protection on leather seats and stuff with rip and tear warranty, tell me if I'm wrong but I'm probably fine with a bottle of Lexol and scotch gard?

Would also be appreciated for inputs on New Car prep, from the moment of taking delivery, here's what I want to do:
1. Get the clear bra (hood, bumper, fender, A bars, mirrors)
2. A good sealant

which order am I suppose to go? sealant under or over the clear bra?

should I go get it detailed, clayed, and waxed? (before or after clear bra?)

I'm confused about the process and future detailing needs. I'm thinking a car wash once every 2 weeks, and detail every 6 month or so.

worried about the clear bra section look different compared to rest of the car

Thank you for any comments/suggestions!

Cheers!

AudIIan
03-19-2013, 05:53 PM
For 499 front bumper is probably not included.. Ide get it done after and just get mirrors,lights and front bumper(all of the direct angled impact places) i would also do opti coat or better yet 22ple after the fact..its actualy pretty easy to put on..it can be applied by hand but the product is rather expensive but well worth it

I would suggest extended warrenty and as long as you take care of the vehicle you wont really need any other ones

clay bar is done before but wax im unsure about..i would think the paint under the clear bra is simply left clean to further insure proper adhesion for the clear bra ..i do no that opti coat or sealants would be applied after clear bra etc though

If you want to further look into it there also is a detailer forum within audizine at the bottom of the forum pages you can check out

audi.jz
03-19-2013, 06:03 PM
For 499 front bumper is probably not included.. Ide get it done after and just get mirrors,lights and front bumper(all of the direct angled impact places) i would also do opti coat or better yet 22ple after the fact..its actualy pretty easy to put on..it can be applied by hand but the product is rather expensive but well worth it

I would suggest extended warrenty and as long as you take care of the vehicle you wont really need any other ones

clay bar is done before but wax im unsure about..i would think the paint under the clear bra is simply left clean to further insure proper adhesion for the clear bra ..i do no that opti coat or sealants would be applied after clear bra etc though

If you want to further look into it there also is a detailer forum within audizine at the bottom of the forum pages you can check out

Hi Ian,

Thank you for such quick reply, I did just post in detailing section with the detailing related questions.
So regarding the clear bra, are you saying the hood don't need it?

First time hearing the 22ple, will do some research later, thanks for the info.

VroomVroom
03-19-2013, 07:09 PM
Congrats on the new machine!

1. Audi Care.
http://www.audiusa.com/us/brand/en/owners/audi_service/service/audi_care.html
I believe this goes by miles/kms, and not by time. Worth verifying prior to buying, but if so... Assuming you prefer to go to the dealer for maintenance work, this is a fine deal. You may actually wish to consider Audi Care Plus, given your expectations for length of ownership.

2. Extended warranty
Given your parameters, I'd recommend it. No better time than now to negotiate a fair price on it. My only recommendation is to ONLY consider an Audi product. (I assume this is what you're considering already, but just in case...) Third-party warranty companies are the devil. I'd go with the $150 deductible - you have the entire duration of the factory warranty to save sheckles to cover it.

3. Audi after care
I'd likely pass, but see if they can make it worth your while....especially if you're committing to items 1 and 2. That said, I'd be interested in their resources for the leather and dent repair, and it may be worth comparing against your insurance coverage for windshield replacement.

4. Xzilon ($499)
PASS. One hundred times over, pass. I'll talk about coatings a bit further down.

5. Protection film ($499)
Investigate. This and clear bra are one and the same - marketing terms. The dealership may not touch this - most actually contract out the work. For a negotiated extra fee, they may include additional panels - half or full hood, headlights, bumper, A-pillars, leading roof edge, cargo area, etc. Or, you may just wish to go with an aftermarket solution. Consider before buying, though. Do you see a lot of road chips? It sounds like the Q will be used for short trips based on your km/year estimate. The other factor - insurance will generally not cover replacement film and installation should you lose a body panel due to collision damage.

6. Rust protection module ($1000)
PASS. The Q - as do all new cars - come with a pretty extensive corrosion warranty. This is nothing but a profit center.

7. Interior protection($499)
PASS. For all the reasons you mentioned.

Etc....

1. Get the clear bra (hood, bumper, fender, A bars, mirrors)
2. A good sealant
If the film is a priority for you, I'd complete your investigation between now and delivery, to consider which vendor and package is best for you. Do not seal (or wax...more on that below) the areas that will receive the film, but you can certainly prep with a clay bar if the surface feels rough. (A reputable film installer will do this for you, ensuring the finish is optimal prior to laying down the film.)

should I go get it detailed, clayed, and waxed? (before or after clear bra?)
I'm confused about the process and future detailing needs. I'm thinking a car wash once every 2 weeks, and detail every 6 month or so.
A "detail" - at least as defined by reputable vendors - includes claying, paint cleansing, optional paint correction, and sealant and/or wax. Play the wash part by ear - two weeks may be excessive, or sometimes it may not be enough. That will also help dictate the frequency of waxing, correction efforts, etc. You may have already gleemed from the detailing forum, but a sealant is a synthetic topcoat that provides more protection than a wax, but generally doesn't offer as much gloss or, "depth" in appearance. You can top a sealant with a wax. More detail is way beyond the scope here. A 'permanent' coating - a la Optimum and 22LE - is something to consider and investigate. You may well find a quality vendor in your area that will offer a full detail, film package install, and coating application.

audi.jz
03-19-2013, 08:21 PM
Thank you Jerry,
lots of information to digest.

1. Audi Care.
Yes, I understand it's by km, but the way I understood it, the car should be serviced according to km, but it should be serviced once a year if the km is not reached, hence once a year assumption. I'll have to ask the dealer if this i how it works with Audi Care, thanks!

Audi Care covers the manufacturer-required regularly scheduled maintenance services at 25,000 km, 40,000 km, 55,000 km, and 70,000 km, or 5 years from the original vehicle in-service date, whichever comes first.

2. Extended warranty
Yes, there was two reasons I wanted to go with the deductible, 1 being lower premium, 2 is there's the audi claim-free reward, $2000 towards a new purchase or $1000 cash refund, but I'm probably naive to think no major claims will be made($150+) during the entire coverage..

3. Audi after care
good points

4. Xzilon ($499)
Loud and Clear

Regarding the detailing, protection film install and sealant. My ideal approach was after taking delivery, go to a one stop detailing shop to have them wash, clay (and polish?) install the film, then put the sealant. However, given I'm in a small town, Kitchener, Ontario. There seems to be no reputable detailing shops around that could do all this. (This was via online research, might call up a few places) What kind of sealant do you propose? How's the pro and cons of these 'permanent' coatings mentioned above?

My current alternative might be wash and clay myself(never done clay bar before, and I don't think I can do the polish), have the film installed at a local place, go to Toronto area(~140km HWY drive) and do a professional exterior detail and sealant application.

D_Frost
03-19-2013, 09:02 PM
Pretty much as others mentioned above... I might consider the interior protection if you're going to be a bit tougher on the inside (frequent passengers / baby / toddler / hauling cargo).

VroomVroom
03-20-2013, 12:30 PM
Doh! I totally missed the five-year expiration on the Audi Care. Sorry about that. If you're reasonably comfortable with your km/year estimate, I'd personally pass on this program. Might be worth doing more serious math to compare, but I doubt you'd pay less with Audi Care than you would simply paying as-you-go for the maintenance work. (FWIW, my wife went with a similar program - although dealer-sponsored - with her Lexus. It worked out great, and the savings was something like $500 (and she had a guaranteed loaner car). But...at the time she was driving more than 20k miles/year.)

Nothing wrong with your approach toward the detail....just a matter of narrowing things down. I know there are some amazing detailers and film installers in the Toronto area, and if youi're really on-board with the protection film, that might be a good consideration. So much of that process comes down to the expertise of the installer. Of course, the other side of that coin...if you do have a problem with any of the pieces, it's another long drive to have it addressed. I don't want to talk you out of the film by any means - under the right circumstances it's a very valuable investment. But, it's not cheap, it adds a little bit of extra effort to every detail, if you don't see a lot of stone chips, drive through road construction, park under sappy or bird-infested trees, etc....it can actually be a wasted investment. Plus, there's always the issue of replacement if you have body panel damage. Audi paint is excellent - as you dig into the detailing thing, you'll learn that the clear coat is both thick and very hard - so it may be worth at least considering a pass on this one.

Frequent paint sealant/wax applications vs. a permanent coating. Lots to consider there, too. The coating isn't cheap, nor is the labor involved with it. Much like the film, the effectiveness lies in the ability of the installer to manage the product and process. IMO, coatings are great for folks who don't want to deal with detailing, waxing, etc. Otherwise, I'd recommend a good detail effort once, maybe twice, per year, with some more frequent applications of wax/sealant....especially leading into the winter months.

I hope that helps....good luck!

audi.jz
03-20-2013, 01:01 PM
Thanks Jerry,

I just read it again, and realized the 5yr thing is from in service date(the day I take delivery?), so it really doesn't matter if i purchase it later, it'll still expire according my in service date, so probably will do without it, unless they can offer me an extended time limit.

After much considerations, I think I'll do without the protection film. It's a car, not a cell phone.... I think I need to refrain from perfect paint job obsession. haha. Besides, the thing is not cheap, and if I did get some stone chips, there's less costly solutions to fix them via touch up and polish... (Found this thing called ChipEX, seems good enough for me http://www.chipex.co.uk/choose_product.html)

I think I will get the coating though, sounds like a good extra layer of protection. I actually bought a Gtecnique P1+C2 kit that I was ganna use on my 04' 3 series, never got the courage up to work on my car, maybe I can pass the C2 to my local detailing guys(if i find one first) and let them apply it. Or should I go with the Opti-coat?

Things are really coming together on the decision part thanks to your inputs