PDA

View Full Version : Grinding from rear end - not wheel bearings

WVHick
03-04-2013, 07:53 PM
I replaced my wheel bearings last winter on my 99 A4 2.8L thanks to the awesome help on here. While doing it, I couldn't get the wheel bearing hub off the one side and while using a pickle fork, I damaged one of the joint boots (CV joint maybe). Now, about a year later, there is a grinding noise from the rear end that is getting too loud to be bearable. I'm 98% sure its not the wheel bearing since I just changed them both. I think it has to due with this rubber boot being damaged but I'm not sure what its called to order the part or whether or not I'm capable of replacing it? I'm pretty mechanically inclined and tend to follow walkthroughs well. I changed the timing belt, tensioner, and water pump on the 2.8L this past summer without ever having even changed oil in a car lol. Basically, I need to know what you guys think it is and whether or not I can do it. Thanks.

SlowBone
03-04-2013, 08:11 PM
so are you trying to replace the boot and repack the joint? if the boot got torn and lost most its grease, you probably burnt it up causing it to howl. you probably can save it by pulling it apart, heavily cleaning out all the old burnt up grease, and pack it back up with proper grease. just make sure you really get into the bearings with the new grease. should be able to save the axle.

98A4TurboAWD
03-04-2013, 08:11 PM
I replaced my wheel bearings last winter on my 99 A4 2.8L thanks to the awesome help on here. While doing it, I couldn't get the wheel bearing hub off the one side and while using a pickle fork, I damaged one of the joint boots (CV joint maybe). Now, about a year later, there is a grinding noise from the rear end that is getting too loud to be bearable. I'm 98% sure its not the wheel bearing since I just changed them both. I think it has to due with this rubber boot being damaged but I'm not sure what its called to order the part or whether or not I'm capable of replacing it? I'm pretty mechanically inclined and tend to follow walkthroughs well. I changed the timing belt, tensioner, and water pump on the 2.8L this past summer without ever having even changed oil in a car lol. Basically, I need to know what you guys think it is and whether or not I can do it. Thanks.

If you have a damaged boot, whatever the boot was protecting will need to be replaced.

It could still be the wheel bearing if you did a sloppy job installing it.

redline380
03-04-2013, 08:16 PM
My right front wheel bearing lasts a year at most. They can go out in a short amount of time. With that said I'd check those and you cv shafts

WVHick
03-04-2013, 08:21 PM
So the boot is the CV joint boot? How difficult is a complete CV joint and boot replacement?

98A4TurboAWD
03-05-2013, 05:24 AM
So the boot is the CV joint boot? How difficult is a complete CV joint and boot replacement?

In my experience, a very simple and straight forward job. If you get a new CV join it will come with the boot and it will be clamped on.

I have also replaced torn boots but have had a very hard time getting the boot on. Aftermarket boots are very tight and sometimes do not fit.

If it's scraping as bad as you say, I would just go ahead and replace the CV joint and it will be a simple swap.

Artiemas
03-05-2013, 11:37 AM
Just buy a new axle. Same price, most likely, and can be found at most junkyards. 10x easier to swap.

WVHick
03-05-2013, 12:15 PM
Anyone have a link for a new rear passenger side axle with CV joint? Can't find one anywhere.