PDA

View Full Version : Are new replacement turbos internal wastegates pre set?? whats factory

rmtofast
03-03-2013, 05:48 PM
Just installed a new turbo on my 1.8 and it was not building boost..I removed the turbo and the rod on the old wastegate vs the new one were not the same. I cranked the new one down to match the stock turbo the best I could. I do nothhave a boost gauge so I do not have numbers but I can very faintly hear the turbo spoiling and a small flutter when I let off the gas. I do not think its right yet so is there a writeup on how to properly adjust the stock wsstegate for stock settings. Agian im not looking for more boost im simply looking to set the rod and wastegate how the car would have came factory

walky_talky20
03-03-2013, 07:16 PM
Factory wastegate crack pressure is about 3-4psi. I adjusted mine to 5psi (slightly more aggressive). The best way to set it is to apply a metered pressure source and adjust until the wastegate just cracks at that pressure (can begin to spin the flapper).

Whilst tricky, the adjustment can be done without removing the turbo or exhaust manifold from the car.

rmtofast
03-03-2013, 09:04 PM
On a quattro? How much boost is factory setting .?