PDA

View Full Version : new Audi 97 A4 1.8T owner need help with ecu.

Rob3069usmc
03-03-2013, 08:16 AM
OK so I bought this car and was told it just needed a clutch well after a clutch and a turbo, I'm ready to put it on the road. Well my problem is that I can't connect with the ecu to see why the check engine is on. I have done the Ross tech steps to check the K line to the stock radio. Also pulled the abs fuse. Still nothing. I had. Burnt ground wire under the dash it started in a bundle of grounds clipped together and went to the first relay on the left. Have no clue what the relay does just know it has what looks to be red power wires bolted to the bottom. OK so the car also starts without the clutch in I'm going to guess this is the neutral safety switch that sits on the clutch under the dash? Could that Mess with the ecu? Any help would be great been trying to figure this out for a couple weeks now. [headbang]

demonmk2
03-03-2013, 08:19 AM
burned ground wire under the dash?? maybe your ecu is toast.

seanf86
03-03-2013, 08:28 AM
depending on the build date in 97 it may not have a clutch switch to start the car, in the wiring diagram it shows it as an addition in mid year 97. my 97 starts without pushing the clutch as well

Rob3069usmc
03-03-2013, 09:13 AM
ok Sean that helps alot so im guessing thats why it starts thanks. demonmk2 I don't think its the ecu cause it starts and runs fine. can anyone tell me what that first relay is for? If the wire got hot then maybe the relay went? Is there anyways to test the relay? Also i have the steering wheel off right now and i see there is a connecter to the ignition on the front side tha has nothing pluged into it. I don't see any plugs not hooked up.. Any ideas? I forgot to say that the guy who had this car before me had no clue what he was doing. This dash has been apart before and it was a mess under the hood. IE loose bolts on the turbo and little stuff like that. I have no problem with taking stuff apart to learn how it work caus lord knows i have done it alot but if you can't put it back together then leave it the hell alone... Sorry had to vent.

Rob3069usmc
03-04-2013, 03:02 PM
Can anyone else help?

bw86
03-04-2013, 03:26 PM
Did you try and remove the connector on the abs module? I know you said you pulled the abs fuse, but it's worth a shot - only takes 2 seconds.

There's also a fuse for the obd port - fuse 12 maybe?

GreenFields1
03-04-2013, 03:36 PM
Did you try and remove the connector on the abs module? I know you said you pulled the abs fuse, but it's worth a shot - only takes 2 seconds.

There's also a fuse for the obd port - fuse 12 maybe?

Was just about to say the same thing. If the ecu was fried the car wouldn't even start. Sounds like there's a bad connection to the obd port or a bad fuse. Never seen that before though...but theres always a first for everything

ianwpb
03-04-2013, 03:42 PM
Does the radio turn on?

Rob3069usmc
03-04-2013, 03:46 PM
Is the connector your talking about the one with the screw in it under the hood? Also can anyone tell me what relay 213 does?

bw86
03-04-2013, 03:49 PM
Is the connector your talking about the one with the screw in it under the hood? Also can anyone tell me what relay 213 does?

http://www.audiworld.com/tech/pics/elec116-image005.jpg

Rob3069usmc
03-04-2013, 03:54 PM
Yes the radio does turn on and thanks for the pic, I'm military and do better with pics lol

Rob3069usmc
03-04-2013, 04:16 PM
OK I unplugged the abs and still nothing any other ideas?

demonmk2
03-04-2013, 05:51 PM
Just wondering but sometimes can't a bad vag-com cable cause it not interact with ecu.
I wanna say I read that some where but........I could be wrong.

Rob3069usmc
03-11-2013, 02:49 PM
ok so update i tried another scanner and nothing. Replaced the relay and burnt out wire nothing. I have the whole dash ripped out looking for another problem but can't find anything. The only thing i see is that on the ignition switch itself there is a plug on the front it has to prongs and nothing connected to it. Is there supost to be a plug in it? Please this car is driving me nuts!!